Sign in to follow this  

DiamondBack Truck Cover to Carry Dirtbike

Hi All,

Does anyone has experience or opinions of carrying a dirtbike on top of the DiamondBack HD truck cover.

http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/index-2.php?utm_expid=32671195-2.m4CIYJbNRUi903VSKq1TZg.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D3%26ved%3D0CCgQjBAwAg%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.diamondbackcovers.com%252Fhd%252F%26ei%3DZC_3VNebGoWuogSzkIKoBw%26usg%3DAFQjCNF_RX9IM0ABBpuBOkYdwAsHJIK0oQ%26sig2%3DM_Obj2LCoGYzfQriNB-fog%26bvm%3Dbv.87519884%2Cd.cGU

Here is the situation:

I just picked up my first real truck (Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4) after using an old Ford Explorer with hitch bike carrier for past few years.

The DiamondBack HD cover will fit my needs really well for the most part, but I'm bouncing back & forth on the concept of carrying & loading my Yamaha WR450 bike on to it.

My primary concern is that the deck of DiamondBack cover will be 58" off the ground, thus making it a more precarious height for me to load and secure my bike. The bed of the truck is 35" off the ground for comparison.

I'm a newbie to dirt bikes and the thought of loading and unloading from 58" off the ground is daunting to say the least. I would like to hear from people who have a DiamondBack cover or sled deck that they use for dirt bikes.

Cheers

DiamondBack Dirt Bikes.jpg

Just get a hitch mount bike hauler.

I already have a hitch mount but I want to be able to tow my small travel trailer (Boler) as well as bring my bike.

COG of your truck will be affected.  Can't you remove the cover to haul the bike?

The cover can be removed but I don't want to be constantly removing the cover a couple times a week. I want to have a semi-permanent setup that is ready to go.

If this is the route you plan to go, I would really push you towards a sled deck. Considerably stronger construction with a proper ramp. Depending on model you can get adjustable widths too...

that looks like it would be a major PITA to load up. not to mention that the back wheel of a full size bike will be right at the edge of the cover with the front tire pressed up to your (pricey!!!) rear window or, I'm assuming, your going to have a headache rack? The bed on your tundra is 6' the one on that chevy in the picture is 6'6" or 8', load your wr up and look at where it sits in relation to the bed, then shut your tailgate and  put your 6' ramp at the top of the bed and check the loading angle, its gonna be a nightmare to load like that.

that looks like it would be a major PITA to load up. not to mention that the back wheel of a full size bike will be right at the edge of the cover with the front tire pressed up to your (pricey!!!) rear window or, I'm assuming, your going to have a headache rack? The bed on your tundra is 6' the one on that chevy in the picture is 6'6" or 8', load your wr up and look at where it sits in relation to the bed, then shut your tailgate and  put your 6' ramp at the top of the bed and check the loading angle, its gonna be a nightmare to load like that.

A headache rack would be a good idea, I hadn't factored that into the equation as yet. The Tundra box is 6'5" the nightmare you mention in loading is what I'm fearing. The Diamondback cover is great in all other aspects expect the dirt bike. I really need some secure weatherproof storage in the truck, so it fit the bill in that aspect

If that cover is a must have, for work during the week or whatever, consider using the hitch rack you already own for rides without the camper and taking the camper to a local welder and have them set up a place for the bike on the camper like this

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/959730-adding-dirt-bike-racks-on-pop-up-trailer/

That's a great idea, only I can't do that as the frame on my 1978 Boler fiberglass trailer is likely to need alot of reinforcing and costly modifications. Nonetheless I appreciate the idea, I will mull it over. Thanks VegasTheMole

How much storage are you needing? Would side box toolboxes be to small? There are a couple company's that make pretty wide ones that hold quite a bit and you should be able to still get your bike in the back and shut the tailgate with it at an angle. Two bikes do not always fit very well though especially if you have the bigger extra wide boxes.

Don't worry about center of gravity. 5-600 lbs isn't going to affect much. Considering some of the slide in truck campers weigh over 4k.

Roll & lock or similar

I was thinking a lockable folding hard tonneau cover.