Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Diagnosis.

Disclaimer:  I am not a forum noob.  I know how the search function works.  Hear me out please.

The bike:  2007 DRZ400S  Owned for one and a half years.

The Problem:  I have recently sat upon two other DRZ400's.  Their suspension was firm but plush.  Nothing like mine.

When I sit on the bike, or even push on the seat, the rear shock moves very easily. As if there is no dampening.

I have adjusted the Low speed AND high speed clickers.  All the way out, and All the way in.  There is very little to no difference.

I have not noticed any oil on the bottom of the shock.  No apparent leaks.  (Although I have only owned the bike for 1.5 years, and the suspension has

been this way since I bought it)

Sag is not set exactly, but ballparked for my weight. 

So, what is wrong?  I don't have enough experience with shocks to know if there isn't enough oil, or the nitrogen has leaked out.

Here is a video of my problem.    http://youtu.be/A-bKclkolhk?list=UUPcK48djL03X20QMGfD6w5Q

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

To me that point to nitrogen pressure, have it checked.

Also, you could have an internal shock failure and not have any visible leaks on the outside.

Edited by mlatour

Yes, by using a normal gauge you will probably loose a lot of pressure checking it.

Hoe does it ride ?

under sprung (guessing from rear luggage

clickers all the way soft

loss of N2O charge

blown bladder

all of the above Just brain storming

Hoe does it ride ?

It rides ok. I'm used to road bikes. So, up until my friends' bike....

under sprung (guessing from rear luggage

clickers all the way soft

loss of N2O charge

blown bladder

all of the above Just brain storming

I'm hoping its low nitrogen and possibly undersprung.

I was planning on doing the rear shock next fall

You are probably undersprung so you need to take care of that. But if your damping doesn't do anything than you need a rebuild. If you take it somewhere they can throw the right spring on too. You could see no fluid leaking because it's been all leaked out for some time lol! If it's bouncy that's pretty possible. N2 charge could be really low too, either way you should rebuild it and set your sag properly.