Sign in to follow this  

2T clutch

This has been on my mind all day, is a 2T clutch different to a 4T mx clutch.

When you knock a 2T into first, you can feel it pull, but not on a 4T, is that right?

You need to feather a 2T clutch more, so would it not ware more quicker, or is it designed for that purpose?

Am I making sence? Lol

;-)

Feathering it is more for keeping the power where you need it than for controlling wear. Like coming out of a tight corner on a 2t you need to feather the clutch to keep the rpms up in the power so the bike doesn't bog down and fall on its face where as a 4t has a broader power band and can handle lower rpms better without input from the clutch as much. It's also used as a form of traction control too since it's easier to control how much the clutch slips vs how much the motor is revving and tire spinning. Like on a start of your spinning you get a way better drive feathering the clutch to minimize wheel spin while maintaining a steady throttle vs revving down until you get traction then getting back on the gas again. Hope that helps, I'm no expert though

Feathering it is more for keeping the power where you need it than for controlling wear. Like coming out of a tight corner on a 2t you need to feather the clutch to keep the rpms up in the power so the bike doesn't bog down and fall on its face where as a 4t has a broader power band and can handle lower rpms better without input from the clutch as much. It's also used as a form of traction control too since it's easier to control how much the clutch slips vs how much the motor is revving and tire spinning. Like on a start of your spinning you get a way better drive feathering the clutch to minimize wheel spin while maintaining a steady throttle vs revving down until you get traction then getting back on the gas again. Hope that helps, I'm no expert though

Very good explanation.

The rekluse I have in my 2000 honda cr250 uses a 2003-? Honda crf450 set-up.

I've found similar relationships among Honda clutches; my CRF250X clutch has the same basket OD as the CR125, while CRF450s has the same basket OD as the CR250/500 clutch, as does the Montesa 315R and 4RT (both 250cc). The CRF150/230 clutch is smaller and the same size as the other sub 250 2 valve motors like the XR200, ATC, TL.

Very good explanation.

I have to feather the clutch more on my 250f riding hard than my 250t. It's about available power more engine type.
  • Like 1

The engine is different, causing you to shift more or use clutch more. Whatever riding style you like