Sign in to follow this  

What flat tire accessories do you carry?

Looking into getting a flat repair kit what does everyone recommend?

Going to get some motion pro tire spoon/ wrench combos and want to know what else I should carry. Is slime a good product for tires and tubes? I see a few companies offer a "repair kit".

Spill your opinions please and thanks!

Add duck tape, ty wraps (small and large ones to lock tire to rim), knife and rope. I use tire plugs and c02 inflator but I run Tubless and that has removed many tools.

• Like 2

Looking into getting a flat repair kit what does everyone recommend?

Going to get some motion pro tire spoon/ wrench combos and want to know what else I should carry. Is slime a good product for tires and tubes? I see a few companies offer a "repair kit".

Spill your opinions please and thanks!

I'd avoid slime. I carry the tools you use to change tires at home. I carry CO2, make sure you give it a practice try so you know how your kit works and how much you need. If I'm way out there, I also carry a spare front tube, it will also work in the rear in an emergency.

Options to the CO2 include a small hand pump or small 12v compressor.

Again, whatever system, make sure you know how to use it, and are not trying to figure it out 20 miles from nowhere with the sun setting.

Good luck!

Mike

That's why large zip-tys work if all else fails! You may not be ripping up the trail but will get you home.

Edited by weantright
  • Like 2

Add duck tape, ty wraps (small and large ones to lock tire to rim), knife and rope. I use tire plugs and c02 inflator but I run Tubless and that has removed many tools.

That's why large zip-tys work if all else fails! You may not be ripping up the trail but will get you home.

Really great advice!! That's why I carry a boatload of them. Zip ties do work!!

IMG_0543_zps2e09745b.jpg

Long black ones on the other side.

I go overboard when it comes to tire fixing, but I'm also the guy you want in your group if you have a flat. Here is what I carry and why.

1. Front tube in this bag- http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/stb.html  You can use a front tube in your rear tire if you have to but I still recommend talking one of your riding buddies into carrying a rear since you have the rest of the tools.

2. $10 Slime Tire Compressor- http://slime.com/231/products/tire-top-off-40020/ you can get this at walmart for $10 take off the 12V plug and put alligator plugs on it then you can use your dirt bike battery to fill the tube. CO2 you only get one shot and if you use a patch and have more holes then your out of air. If your short for space get a small bicycle tire hand pump and it will do the same just take a little more work.

3. Tube Patch Kit- Get a tube patch kit this will fix a pinched tube, but in most cases I have found that you end up tearing the valve stem when the tube goes flat, but you might get lucky with a patch and they are cheap. 

4. Tire Spoons 

5. Valve Stem Puller

6. Last but not least like others have said long think zip ties for last ditch effort to get home. You will tear up the tire but at least save your rim. 

I go overboard when it comes to tire fixing, but I'm also the guy you want in your group if you have a flat. Here is what I carry and why.

1. Front tube in this bag- http://www.dirt-bike-gear.com/stb.html  You can use a front tube in your rear tire if you have to but I still recommend talking one of your riding buddies into carrying a rear since you have the rest of the tools.

2. $10 Slime Tire Compressor- http://slime.com/231/products/tire-top-off-40020/ you can get this at walmart for $10 take off the 12V plug and put alligator plugs on it then you can use your dirt bike battery to fill the tube. CO2 you only get one shot and if you use a patch and have more holes then your out of air. If your short for space get a small bicycle tire hand pump and it will do the same just take a little more work.

3. Tube Patch Kit- Get a tube patch kit this will fix a pinched tube, but in most cases I have found that you end up tearing the valve stem when the tube goes flat, but you might get lucky with a patch and they are cheap. 

4. Tire Spoons 

5. Valve Stem Puller

6. Last but not least like others have said long think zip ties for last ditch effort to get home. You will tear up the tire but at least save your rim. 

This is one reason I switched to tubless, 2, 6 and tire plugs is all you need. I carry 6 co2 refills and need 2 for a full size rear @ 12psi.

On anything less than a "typical" ADV bike, I carry spare front tube, 2 bicycle shop patch kits, 3 lightweight aluminium tire spoons(one spoon has an appropriately size axle wrench on it), 2 hi vol/low pressure mtb hand pumps(light, easily fit in my kit...work every time). The zip ties, etc are a normal part of my kit, so are there anyway. On the typical ADV bike, I'll have a small 12v compressor, 1 hand pump, and a plug kit. Also(though I've never used it), a spare front tube(in case a sidewall is cut, requiring a boot). I tend to venture way off the beaten path(often, by myself). I like being prepared.

Edited by bowhunter007

When I ride OHV trails I carry two mountain bike inner tubes, 20" & 24".

I'm running 8-10 psi so they'll certainly get me back to the truck.

4. Tire Spoons 

5. Valve Stem Puller

What he said.