Sign in to follow this  

Right Bike for a Awesome Trip

Long term reader - first time post. 

I'm looking for a new bike, I've been using an XR250 and time to upgrade.  I live in Kenya, and spend lots of time smashing my bike about the bush - lots of dust, rocks and drops, most of my mates have KTMs and use their bike only off road.

In 8 weeks time we are all heading to Northern Kenya for a 12 day riding safari (not looking for animal but good trails) Nanyuki, Mathews range and finally lake Turkana - have a google. Theres 10 lads and 10 girls going up, camping while we have four support vehicles all towing bikes on trailers. I want to upgrade before this trip but need a bike that I can use for more than just the dirt. I need something that will do ok on the roads to beat Nairobi traffic, no need for highway speeds but would be good to have a bike that can to 50KM on the roads and still keep up off road. Not bothered about winning races but want to keep up with the rest. So I need something thats great off road but can still get me places. Have thought about the DRZ400 but hard to find around here.

Other Bikes I have looked at:

CRF450X 

Was very keen on this as parts are easy to come by here and relaible but not convinced its going to be great around town and maybe too much of a motocross bike? 

WR450F

Hard to get parts not meant to be great on the road

KTM 450 EXC 

Easy to get parts for but silly expensive here, how would this be for a bit of African commuting 

Husky 450

No good on the road - low gearing?

Husky 610 

Only old models locally available and might be hard to get parts.

What bike do I get? Likely I might need to import from South Africa to get more choice. 

Perfect bike??:

XR400/600 - so hard to find here!

Long term reader - first time post. 

I'm looking for a new bike, I've been using an XR250 and time to upgrade.  I live in Kenya, and spend lots of time smashing my bike about the bush - lots of dust, rocks and drops, most of my mates have KTMs and use their bike only off road.

In 8 weeks time we are all heading to Northern Kenya for a 12 day riding safari (not looking for animal but good trails) Nanyuki, Mathews range and finally lake Turkana - have a google. Theres 10 lads and 10 girls going up, camping while we have four support vehicles all towing bikes on trailers. I want to upgrade before this trip but need a bike that I can use for more than just the dirt. I need something that will do ok on the roads to beat Nairobi traffic, no need for highway speeds but would be good to have a bike that can to 50KM on the roads and still keep up off road. Not bothered about winning races but want to keep up with the rest. So I need something thats great off road but can still get me places. Have thought about the DRZ400 but hard to find around here.

Other Bikes I have looked at:

CRF450X 

Was very keen on this as parts are easy to come by here and relaible but not convinced its going to be great around town and maybe too much of a motocross bike? 

WR450F

Hard to get parts not meant to be great on the road

KTM 450 EXC 

Easy to get parts for but silly expensive here, how would this be for a bit of African commuting 

Husky 450

No good on the road - low gearing?

Husky 610 

Only old models locally available and might be hard to get parts.

What bike do I get? Likely I might need to import from South Africa to get more choice. 

Perfect bike??:

XR400/600 - so hard to find here!

I think your analysis on the various bikes is correct.

I've had the DRZ400 and the WR450. A buddy had a CRF450X. The WR and the CRF are pretty similar. The WR in U.S. spec. sometimes surges, stumbles, at steady throttle, like on the street. A minor irritation.

For 50KM or 30? miles the seat might be getting a little painful on all three if the DRZ is the dirt version.

I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the 3, the others I have no personal experience with.

Good luck with your choice and have a fun trip!

Mike

• Like 1

cheers mike, might have found a nice xr600 - would have lots of cash left over to fix it up.

• Like 2

You were reading my mind! I was thinking A XR600 or 650L. For hard core desolate areas, the air cooled XR is the most reliable and solid choice.

• Like 2

You were reading my mind! I was thinking A XR600 or 650L. For hard core desolate areas, the air cooled XR is the most reliable and solid choice.

+1 on the 650L......lighter than the R model by a little, totally reliable and enough power to handle terrain as well as any roads you might have to transition to.

I have a DRZ modded to the max. and it's reliable too, but if they are scarce you have to deal with what you have.

• Like 2

The DRZ is another good one. I see in your signature yours is really built up! I rode a stock 400 with a flatslide carb and was amazed. But hell, it looks like you got your CV carb jetted and dialed in sweet for the BB kit. 

• Like 2

The DRZ is another good one. I see in your signature yours is really built up! I rode a stock 400 with a flatslide carb and was amazed. But hell, it looks like you got your CV carb jetted and dialed in sweet for the BB kit. 

Thanks Chris.....yep, got that baby working good. The CVK40 is a damn good carb and once you do a few mods to it, it works like FI......hahahaha, almost, but it does offer up some awesome improvement over the stock carb for easily 1/3 the price of an FCR39mx

• Like 2

Thanks Chris.....yep, got that baby working good. The CVK40 is a damn good carb and once you do a few mods to it, it works like FI......hahahaha, almost, but it does offer up some awesome improvement over the stock carb for easily 1/3 the price of an FCR39mx

And I'm willing to bet it's a lot easier to fit as well.

• Like 2

And I'm willing to bet it's a lot easier to fit as well.

Well......actually the fit needs a little KY jelly, if you know what I mean. It's tight in there, definitely need some lube.

• Like 2