Carbon fiber vinyl wrapping a xr250 gas tank

Has anyone tried wrapping a gas tank with vinyl b4 I bought some black carbon fiber vinyl wrap was going to try to wrap the plastics epically the gas tank on my xr250

If you can get it to stick longer than the factory decals, I'd bet Honda would have a six figure salary waiting for you.

In other words, it won't last.

Vinyl just bubbles and peels when exposed to gas

My friend wrapped his wrapped his with real carbon fiber. Looked great and works wellImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425565312.984439.jpg

looks like he vaccum-bag'd that, edges are too smooth for hand application...

cardi4, on 05 Mar 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

My friend wrapped his wrapped his with real carbon fiber. Looked great and works wellattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425565312.984439.jpg

"Works well"?  What does it do exactly?

Might be good for keepjng fuel temps down. Idk

I think I'm in love with that tank.. How much would he charge to do that for someone?

looks like he vaccum-bag'd that, edges are too smooth for hand application...

It'd have to be if it wraps all the way around. Not to mention the smooth finish.

"Works well"? What does it do exactly?

its durable unlike vinyl

I think it would look sweat with the carbon fiber look figured I would try to wrap it one of my good friends works with vinyl for a living my plastics are faded and scratched up anyways will have to post some b4 and after photos

My friend wrapped his wrapped his with real carbon fiber. Looked great and works wellattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425565312.984439.jpg

can you ask him if he did a wet layup or did he use prepreg, vacuum bagging it and using heat to cure it?

I would think a wet layup with 120 glass cloth and about 3 layers would be enough to stick to my white Acerbis tank so I could paint it??  interesting idea   :thinking: 

Carbon fibre (real) wrap looks awesome!! Any more info on it?

To reply to everyone with questions... The only thing I know about it is that his dad did it for him with sheets of carbon then clear coated it. Next Time I see him I'll be sure to ask home some questions for you guys!

Might be good for keepjng fuel temps down. Idk

Actually the dark color would cause higher fuel temps.

Don't get too excited just yet.  

There is no resin that will permanently adhere to polyethylene which is the type of plastic that these fuel tanks are made of.  Any flexing will delaminate the carbon covering.  This includes a spill, your knees pushing against the tank, or thermal expansion/contraction.  The only thing that is really holding the resin/carbon to the tank is suction.  

We are going to try to ride Chadwick for the 1st time between Christmas & New Years and are not set up to camp yet. Does anyone know of a motel close to the trails?

deleted Edited by Jonesy11

Actually the dark color would cause higher fuel temps.

i was thinking more of blocking engine heat on bottom of tank almost like the kool wrap i have under my tank.

i was thinking more of blocking engine heat on bottom of tank almost like the kool wrap i have under my tank.

Try the aluminum tape the HVAC guys use.  It's thin aluminum with a great adhesive.

My guess would be that heat from the engine warming the gas is less of a factor than you think do to most of the time the engines running your moving with plenty of air flow. However the sun is something that's always a factor as long as the sun is out.