Sign in to follow this  

New guy first time looking at 500exc.

Not much experience on dirt/dual sport bikes but want something light to explore. Have always had big heavy bikes..2 connies and still have a zx14 so controlling power is not an issue on pavement. Put a deposit on a 15 500exc and am pretty excited, should be a fun learning curve so hello to everybody.

Seems kinda dangerous to start off with a 500exc. Between the bike being super tall and quite powerful engine seems like a recipe for a few visits to the hospital.

But good luck! They're great bikes...

I'm sure you will--- but make sure to take baby steps, off road is a whole different beast than the street. And you are starting with a helluva machine, but if you take it easy, you should be fine and you won't be left wanting more power after you get more experience. Your gonna have a blast.

I'm sure you will--- but make sure to take baby steps, off road is a whole different beast than the street. And you are starting with a helluva machine, but if you take it easy, you should be fine and you won't be left wanting more power after you get more experience. Your gonna have a blast.

This is really great advice.  I too came from street riding, and riding dirt is completely different than the street.

I started out though, with something a little more tame, a DRZ, and then moved up to the 500.  Even then, the 500 has scared me on occasions...

Seems kinda dangerous to start off with a 500exc. Between the bike being super tall and quite powerful engine seems like a recipe for a few visits to the hospital.

But good luck! They're great bikes...

Really? For a mature rider currently on a ZX-14 (significantly more power:weight than the EXC)? I suppose you'd recommend a CRF230L or DRZ to be "safe"?

Really? For a mature rider currently on a ZX-14 (significantly more power:weight than the EXC)? I suppose you'd recommend a CRF230L or DRZ to be "safe"?

Bug difference between a ZX-14 on the street and 500exc in the bush. But hey, what would I know?

• Like 2

Bug difference between a ZX-14 on the street and 500exc in the bush. But hey, what would I know?

I'll give you that... it's a lot of bike for off-road use. Nothing a sound mind and disciplined right hand can't handle.

Welcome to the crowd! I think what they're trying to say is relative your zx14, the 500 has a shorter wheelbase, it's lighter, your direction changes will be much faster in the woods than on the street, and the trees are only a couple feet away. If you get into trouble, there often isn't time to get out before you hit a tree, go off the cliff, down the hill, hit the guy next to you, etc.. Also leaving the ground adds a new dimension. In these conditions 500cc will be more than you think it will be.

But that said, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've noticed that good riders on the street usually pick up the dirt just fine, and vise versa. I myself went from a yz80 to a yz426, with a several year gap in between. It was a whole new world and a big learning curve but I was fine. I probably would have advanced faster on a smaller bike, but it was fun.

Edited by sirthumpalot

Just got a new husky FE350. That's all you need 500 overkill. My thoughts

Have fun

Just got a new husky FE350. That's all you need 500 overkill. My thoughts

Have fun

A 350 is definitely plenty of bike for 99% of people probably... but I don't think it's a bad idea to go for a larger displacement bike as a first, to really future proof the investment.

But again like you said different strokes for different blokes and in some places the smaller size bikes are definitely a lot better! However I feel a 450 or 500 is a good "do it all" size and you shouldn't have to worry about wanting more power down the road when you get acquainted to it, I have a few friends that have went through this after getting small bikes then after a year left wanting more power. Whether they actually "needed" it or not is a different story.

Like people have said, take it easy and you will warm up to it just fine. I would love to be bringing home a new 500, I'm jealous.

Edited by fdme
  • Like 2

A recluse clutch is an awesome add on for a large displacement. Have fun and enjoy

• Like 1

when it comes to offroad, the smaller the better to learn, Id much rather negotiate a 125cc down a steep slick narrow ravine than a 500 and im not a newbee.

• Like 1

It sounds like you've already made up your mind.  Having just upgraded from a CRF250L to a 500 EXC I can say that the 250 is way more forgiving.  The 500 will get away from you really quick if you aren't careful and don't respect the power it has.  Something as simple as standing on the pegs going over bumps is completely different on the 500.  On the 250 the throttle jumping around on bumps was no issue at all, in fact I never really noticed it.  The throttle on the 500 is very sensitive and responsive so hitting a bump and having a little jerk of the throttle can be a surprise.  I'm glad I started with the 250 to get back into dirt riding after being away from it for a long time.  With that said, I quickly out grew it and wanted more power.  Now I have more power than I'll ever need :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the crowd! I think what they're trying to say is relative your zx14, the 500 has a shorter wheelbase, it's lighter, your direction changes will be much faster in the woods than on the street, and the trees are only a couple feet away. If you get into trouble, there often isn't time to get out before you hit a tree, go off the cliff, down the hill, hit the guy next to you, etc.. Also leaving the ground adds a new dimension. In these conditions 500cc will be more than you think it will be.

But that said, I'm sure you'll be fine. I've noticed that good riders on the street usually pick up the dirt just fine, and vise versa. I myself went from a yz80 to a yz426, with a several year gap in between. It was a whole new world and a big learning curve but I was fine. I probably would have advanced faster on a smaller bike, but it was fun.

Listen to above poster, You got a great dirt bike, relax, learn and enjoy. Edited by yzf996fxdwg

You'd be better off on a 350 to start with .... But since you have the 500 I suggest that you find some really tight trails and ride them until you are comfortable

Make sure you suit up. ATGATT  you will put it to use

Yep!

You'd be better off on a 350 to start with .... But since you have the 500 I suggest that you find some really tight trails and ride them until you are comfortable

Make sure you suit up. ATGATT  you will put it to use

Yep!

A good rider on the dirt, is a better rider on the street, than a good rider on the street, going to the dirt. And he picked the largest displacement bike he could get for the dirt. There will be a learning curve for sure.

What's difficult about riding on the street, on a street bike? If you follow the rules of the road it's really boring. A word of caution riding your new KTM on the street with knobby tires. If you ride it like a street bike, you'll find yourself cleaning asphalt from under your skin.

There are no rules on the dirt other than watch out for other riders. The rest is made up as you learn.

Remember... You will go down at some point. The goal is to make it painless as possible.

Edited by C6 DNA

Being from NC. I got a question for ya. Have ever rode at TNT inSC?