Moving to a different climate

I will be moving to Guam soon for 4 years and I want to take my bike. For those that don't know it's about island in the pacific ocean. Any suggestions as to what I should do to my 2013 drz400s before I move(its completely stock now).

Buy a parka for those random torrential downpours! Anyone who has been to Guam ( I was deployed to Andersen) knows what I am talking about. You should be good to go with the DRZ. I don't see why you would need to do anything special to it.

EDIT: AND GO TO CHURRASCO!

Edited by WolfNman
  • Like 1

I will be moving to Guam soon for 4 years and I want to take my bike. For those that don't know it's about island in the pacific ocean. Any suggestions as to what I should do to my 2013 drz400s before I move(its completely stock now).

I would look up their motorcycle laws before you do anything to the bike. Some countries have CC restriction, some have mod restrictions such as removing or modifying stock parts. and see what you can and cant do. Then go from there

• Like 2

I was stationed on Guam while in the USCG. My Yamaha '78 XS500 was my only transpo. Rain gear is needed for sure and some way to carry it on the bike so if you get caught in the rain you can just stop and put it on. A full face helmet because of the rain. And learn how to drive slow. The coral based asphalt is super slippery when wet. I think 45 mph was the highest speed limit back in '78-'80. There were a couple of nice off road areas for MX events and just to ride in the clay. Watch out when wet... Only takes a couple of hours to go around the whole island on the public roads. AAFB had most of the upper island locked up. A lot of nice places to snorkle and swim all around the island. 8 miles at its widest. 38 miles long. Still had fun riding to all the diff village stops and stores. Having a brew then moving on and sometimes finding a fiesta going on. The Chamarro loved us Coasties. Man I ate a lot of free food and quaffed a lot of free beer back then. Was a very memorable tour of duty for me. Very lonely though. Guam is an acronym. Give Up And Master.... ! ?

Once you get there...send me some boonie pepper seeds...PLEASE!

• Like 5

Sorry I went the wrong direction. If your bike is stock with TrailWing tires you may want to get some diff ones. Not sure how well they will do on Guams slippery paved roads. A good rain handling tire would be best. It can and often does rain somewhere on the island everyday. Even in the dry season... really. It is usually hot and humid. The water temp averages 81 degrees year round. Great place to get scuba certified!!! :D I hope you are epicurious. The food there is different off base. Get to know some locals. You will then eat some very diff but good food. Expect very high gas prices and cost of living there. Its an island and almost everything is imported. Keeping your bike closer to stock may help with gas mileage...

• Like 2

Maybe some marine type corrosion spray, take a few oil filters, drain plug washers, etc. so you are not trying to buy them locally.  You probably will not rack up too many miles but due to the heat and humidity, changing the oil every once in a while is not a bad idea...   Having a spare throttle and clutch cable might not be a bad idea as well.  Change the brake fluid also to keep moisture out of the system.

Enjoy the adventure...

• Like 1

Corrosion and rust is a big problem there. The old beater cars that get passed around by servicemen are called GuamBombs. All cars there had to go through a brake test to prove they brake straight and true. Guam DMV does this because of the slick roads. I was a first responder to a couple of wrecks while there. Sometimes even the snails get so thick they cover the road in slime and themselves. Guam is also having a problem with snakes. I believe the Brown snake from Austrailia which is poisonious. Guam has had a lot of problems with invasive critters and plants since Japan invaded and occupied the island Dec 8th 1941. They brought in the snails. US brought in Tanga Tanga which is a plant/bush/tree. The island was almost bombed clean of all plants when the US took it back. I loved riding around and visiting all kinds of places. They have a deep cultural history. Of course it has been very westernized. They have a huge McDonalds and KFC there as well many US companies and banks. I lived just off of Tumon Bay. Block and a half from the beach and all the hotels. The best beaches are there. Bathtub warm water on the reef up to 3-4 feet deep. The best surfing is at Telafofo. Man so many memories... so much self abuse....LOL!

• Like 1

Enjoy it even more being on a tropical island riding all year long :ride: ...

I would assume you're going to Andersen AFB? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Pretty sure you can still get parts there no problem, might just take longer.

Anderson that is correct. cool, I've heard different but we'll see

Sorry I went the wrong direction. If your bike is stock with TrailWing tires you may want to get some diff ones. Not sure how well they will do on Guams slippery paved roads. A good rain handling tire would be best. It can and often does rain somewhere on the island everyday. Even in the dry season... really. It is usually hot and humid. The water temp averages 81 degrees year round. Great place to get scuba certified!!! :D I hope you are epicurious. The food there is different off base. Get to know some locals. You will then eat some very diff but good food. Expect very high gas prices and cost of living there. Its an island and almost everything is imported. Keeping your bike closer to stock may help with gas mileage...

Thanks Jim!

• Like 1

Your welcome and thanks for your service!!!

As a Coastie on the island I dealt with the Navy base(s) and Anderson AFB (AAFB) on a weekly basis. I was a Storekeeper. So I bought food at the Navy bases as well sundry supplies from the exchanges (Navy and AF) and shipped it all once a week through AAFB to either Saipan island 155 miles north or Yap island 455 miles to the south the next week. Keeping my boyz supplied, fat and kinda happy. I got to know a lot of people very fast. Civilian and Military. Living a block and a half from the beach was nice too. Some nice hidden from the public places on AAFB.

Ordering parts aint so bad cuz it goes through USPS APO. Does not have high cost shipping that way. There are local dealers on the island. I got my stuff cheaper and quicker from the states. Wont hurt you to bring a few standard parts along.

• Like 1