The RM250 Genesis 2001 - 2008?

Who can summarize the steps of development of the RM250 from the year 2001 until 2008?

This is hearsay: 2001-2003 were the same. 2004 was amazing. 2005-2008 was the same. I don't know if this is true.

I would like the true story.

By the way, the information I seek is not intended to be used to know "what parts will interchange?"

It's easy to check a parts catalog and see what will fit.

I want to know what they changed from year to year, and why those changes were made.

Party On!

RM 01.jpg

RM 02.jpg

RM 03.jpg

RM 04.jpg

RM 05.jpg

RM 06.jpg

RM 07.jpg

RM 08.jpg

Who can summarize the steps of development of the RM250 from the year 2001 until 2008?

This is hearsay: 2001-2003 were the same. 2004 was amazing. 2005-2008 was the same. I don't know if this is true.

I would like the true story.

By the way, the information I seek is not intended to be used to know "what parts will interchange?"

It's easy to check a parts catalog and see what will fit.

I want to know what they changed from year to year, and why those changes were made.

Party On!

attachicon.gifRM 01.jpg

attachicon.gifRM 02.jpg

attachicon.gifRM 03.jpg

attachicon.gifRM 04.jpg

attachicon.gifRM 05.jpg

attachicon.gifRM 06.jpg

attachicon.gifRM 07.jpg

attachicon.gifRM 08.jpg

Would be nice to have a poster for the shop like this!

The 02 and 07 are the best looking bikes of the bunch to me. Wouldn't mind having one of them..

I have no useful info for this post :)

No useful info but interested in as well

The 01-02 were the first gen of the last.....they weren't the best but they were good bikes. The 03 is kind of a bastard child, the jetting sucked and Kayaba suspension that some don't like, handling that was not on par with the 04 and newer due to geometry changes. 

04 had Showa and different engine specs and a different kick starter as well as a better front brake line routing

05 06 got different engine specs again...most seem to like the 05 best. 

that's what I've learned about them

Edited by OldMechanik

Thank you all for your input, especially you tim2007 and cse2c.

Aesthetically, all years look identical, despite graphics designs and seat covers.

I owned a 2004 a few years ago. I blew it up and sold it as a basket case to a buddy.

He fixed it up and ended up selling it. I found it a few months ago, and now that my financial situation has changed, I am thinking about buying it back.

It was Buddy Brook's race bike throughout its first round of ownership. (It had an AMA Pro sticker on the steering head - very cool).

It will need a bit of work to bring it back to 100%, but it very well might be worth it.

I suppose I lied a bit in my original text saying I wasn't interested in parts interchangability.

It would be interesting to incorporate the star components from various years to build, theoretically, "The Best RM Possible."

I absolutely loved that bike. I won every race I ever entered on it.

I think in 2004 or 2005 they changed the intake port design which fixed the problem that the rm 250s had with premature top end failures

I think in 2004 or 2005 they changed the intake port design which fixed the problem that the rm 250s had with premature top end failures

That was 03.

03 is the first year of the last gen of motors. After 03 they only played with crank weight with each year getting progressively heavier.

Other than that only difference after 03 is Showa suspension and a different linkage.

OP I would give the 01-02's a miss if I was you and look for the best shape bike from 03 on.

Saying that the 02 forks are my favorite forks of all time.

Would be a good 'pin' posting.