MX tech Low Friction Piston Band wear?

I just purchased an MXT low friction piston band in my brand new 07 cr250 shock.

My question is, how long do these last? I'm worried because this is a Teflon coated metal bushing vs the oem "softer material"

Any thought? I normally change shock oil every 15-20 hours

make sure you service the seal head as well. the bushing can wear, and cause the piston band to wear quicker. basically, if the seal head bushing, and pistion band are in good shape at regular service intervals, there should not be and issue. also, i would call mx tech to find out what fluid they like in the shock. you should not have any issues with kyb shock oil.

make sure you service the seal head as well. the bushing can wear, and cause the piston band to wear quicker. basically, if the seal head bushing, and pistion band are in good shape at regular service intervals, there should not be and issue. also, i would call mx tech to find out what fluid they like in the shock. you should not have any issues with kyb shock oil.

Thanks for the reply,

I just serviced the whole shock, brand new oem seal head. And I will use KYB shock oil. I hear it's the best.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425572950.841235.jpg

i like the kyb. i also like the shock therapy light by ams.

I see RT rebound separator valve on your shaft.

What is your opinion?

I see RT rebound separator valve on your shaft.

What is your opinion?

Haven't tried out the new set up yet but I I'll post here when I do I'm anxious to try it out

Apparently these low friction bands don't wear much..... however the shock's ID anodizing is gone! The bands and the oil were replaced some 30 hrs. ago on virtually new, 2014 WP PDS shock.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Looks like something went wrong in there with the needle/primary piston...

Edited by GHILL28

The ports in the shock shaft look twisted.

Suhoi, I would say that that happened because of those modified ports. Shaft is twisted and thats why you have a bad piston ring and body. I see you are using lowering spacer also. That will cause more stress on sec piston tap and ports because you are using it more often. Needle goes in sooner and more often. Actually that sec piston tap is already twisted when you tightened that sec piston nut. Do you use std needle?

Has someone over tightened the 2nd piston ?

I don't know the full story yet, however the shock has MXT long needle/shaft jet setup. The owner complained from some harshness so today I took it apart and saw this mess :). the lowering spacer is only 4mm . Some new parts are already in order,

It's twisted in the loosening direction (if considering over-tightening as the cause).

Looks like there is also one thick washer underneath the sec piston tap. Check that also if it is too thick. I mean if that is too thick and sec piston goes too far and bottoms out.

I will!  thank you for pointing my attention to. I will return the shock to its OEM configuration, MXT setup is a bit too much for older/slower riders..

They last around 100 hours like the WP's, be careful when you install it and pull it out..

Who would put something like that back together not realizing the pistons were bent and out of alignment? ??

I think I twisted this part when trying to unscrew it....I think so.... not sure. Anyway I just put a new part in, aligned it and all is done.

Does it look like the top piston came into contact with the needle ?as you don't want it happening again

Double checked everything: No marks on the needle and upper portion of the sec.piston....So that means I have twisted that detail during the removal...anyway-the new OEM part is in. What keeps a question mark is why this shock body is worn out in this way?... and shall I re-anodize it?