250 SX-F engine reliability thoughts

So these 250Fs have been out for a decade, so we should have a real well-known track record for any common motor issues.  Since I have never owned one, I can only read through forums like we have here.  Or I can just ask for your thoughts.  So...what is the general perception for motor reliability for this bike?  Are there known trouble spots?  

Edited by thsp485

So these 250Fs have been out for a decade, so we should have a real well-known track record for any common motor issues. Since I have never owned one, I can only read through forums like we have here. Or I can just ask for your thoughts. So...what is the general perception for motor reliability for this bike? Are there known trouble spots?

A 250F motor is not just simply a 250F motor. KTM alone has had 4 different motor packages in the past decade. RFS, RF4, the 2013-15 motor based off the 350s design, and now the brand new 2016 motor design. Engines that share little in common other than the fact that theyre 4 strokes.

We have a realtively low hour (40) 2011 250 SX-F and it has been 100% reliable and easy starting.  According to our dealer, this version of the 250 engine will go 150-200-250 or more hours between piston changes depending on service history.  Valve adjustments, assuming clean air and oil, are often only needed at piston replacement time.  Like with any high performance engine these results can vary and we take very good care of our expensive machines to insure long life.  As you can tell I'm a big fan of this engine family and brand.

Edited by IAoffroader