which gps

I'm thinking about a basic GPS. Just one where I can mark my current location, then later have it point me which way to go to get back. And to store a few points. This is for getting me back to camp from miles out in the woods. I don't need to follow a specific route, just point me in the right direction. Can anyone recommend a basic unit like this?

Garmin etrax 30

I have a Garmin Dakota 20 and really like it. Waterproof and touchscreen are nice features.

Thanks guys, those both look really nice but they're a little more than I want to spend. Does anyone have experience with the Garmin etrex 10? They're under $100 on amazon which makes the price right, assuming they work. ;)

Thanks guys, those both look really nice but they're a little more than I want to spend. Does anyone have experience with the Garmin etrex 10? They're under $100 on amazon which makes the price right, assuming they work. ;)

I have the eTrex 20, and it works very well.  The 10/20/30 are very similar, they just add features to each as the cost goes up.  The Garman web page will show you the difference, just scroll to the bottom.  Looking at the features, I'm not sure the 10 will have automatic routing or be able to use the high quality maps, both of which can come in handy when you need to find your way back to camp.  Just knowing the direction can take you miles down a dead end trail you could have avoided.  At a minimum, I'd go go with the 20.

If you find a good cheap one your happy with Thump be sure to post up. I'm using a DeLorme PN60 which works great, but I clearly don't use 90% or more of its capabilities. I'm basically using the breadcrumb feature in case I get lost and the SPOT feature incase I can't ride out.

i use a garmin foretrex 301 and an oregon 200. the foretrex is small and may be just what you need. both of these can load and down load tracks to base camp software if you want to save some of your routes. the oregon is some what basic in the world of gps's but might be considered the next step up

Thanks everyone for the info and tips!  Fuddy I will definitely post back if/when I get one. :) 

I used my iPhone with a $10 app called GPS KIT, it works great but does take a lot of data and battery. I am now running a Garmin 62ST, quite pricey but a nice unit.

I used my iPhone with a $10 app called GPS KIT, it works great but does take a lot of data and battery. I am now running a Garmin 62ST, quite pricey but a nice unit.

pete , how are you running your wiring straight off the battery. Im wanting to add a voltage monitor(which I may be able to use wiring under the headlight for that, but also setting up a power port, which probably should come directly off the battery.

pete , how are you running your wiring straight off the battery. Im wanting to add a voltage monitor(which I may be able to use wiring under the headlight for that, but also setting up a power port, which probably should come directly off the battery.

I ran a SAE plug from my steering neck to the battery, worked good charging my phone and putting the bike on the tender. I haven't needed to use it on my Garmin yet and I'm thinking of getting another connector to use as a jumper cable from bike to bike.