Sign in to follow this  

Is the 2013 DRZ SM (Supermoto) a 50-state bike? (CA Emissions)

I live in California, and I'm looking at buying a 2013 DRZ SM from Arizona... before doing so, I need to make sure I can plate it in California successfully, and for that it has to be a "50 state" emissions bike, usually indicated with an emblem or sticker which indicates it meets both federal and California emissions.    This is usually under the tank on the frame.

Can anyone who owns this bike, or is in the know, confirm a 2013 DRZ SM sold in Arizona has this 50 state designation?  The owner tells me the bike has all the emissions crap on it, so that's a pretty good sign.  I am asking him to remove the tank and look for the emblem as well.

Thanks all

John

I know california bikes are different. I think they make a 49 state model and a cali model with charcoal vapor canister.

Check your CA state laws.  Both time and mileage over ride the requirement to be CA emissions compliant.  CA just does not want people buying new vehicles out of state. Yes as far as I know Suzuki still builds 2 models of the SM  49 state and CA.  I do not believe they build a 50  state compliant vehicle.

Check your CA state laws.  Both time and mileage over ride the requirement to be CA emissions compliant.  CA just does not want people buying new vehicles out of state. Yes as far as I know Suzuki still builds 2 models of the SM  49 state and CA.  I do not believe they build a 50  state compliant vehicle.

I have, its 7500 miles or more before the override.  The bike in question is way under that.

You will not be able to register it in cali,  cali bikes have smog stuff on em,  and a different tank and gas cap,  buy a bike from here. 

It is currently plated (and originally sold) in Arizona.     I've since done quite a bit of investigation and for posterity of the thread, here's what I've found:

Currently (2015), the CA DMV considers any bike under 7500 miles a "new" motorcycle, and thus it is subject to the same CA emissions standards as any new bike sold in CA, i.e.  it must have an Emissions Control Information label somewhere on the bike that says the bike meets "Federal and State of California emission standards".  Without the "...State of California..." on the label, the DMV policy is that it cannot be plated.  The reality is somewhat different, as many owners have successfully plated such bikes, usually because the DMV person overlooks this detail.    There are a few exceptions in the DMV code, but generally speaking, that's how it works.     You can ask your local Suzuki dealer to run the VIN # through the database and it may indicate  if the bike meets CA emissions (in my case the VIN record just said "FED" in the emissions field).

The only sure way is to check the emission control information sticker on the bike.  I've asked the owner to do so, but he is a typical unmotivated seller, so I don't know if he'll ever do it, so I'm moving on and looking at other bikes.

Step one: acquire treadmill

Step two: place front wheel on treadmill

Step three: wait for odometer to roll 7,501

Or buy a vapor and "misplace" oem computer. Set vapor mileage to whatever you want.

Work smarter gentlemen, not harder.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I wish I wasn't in school full time.  I'd go over there and look for your sticker.  It's a good looking bike.  However, it may be better to look for one that won't come with any surprises.  I believe the story on my bike was something very similar.  The Original owner bought it in NV to license it in CA.  Couldn't get it licensed so he ended up selling it to the PO, who I got it from.

Or buy a vapor and "misplace" oem computer. Set vapor mileage to whatever you want.

How would one go about telling if a bike had a Vapor that was removed and the stock odometer has been put back on?

Step one: acquire treadmill

Step two: place front wheel on treadmill

Step three: wait for odometer to roll 7,501

he could set the bike to 20k miles,  he still will not be able to register the bike here in Cali,  trust me i know. 

he could set the bike to 20k miles, he still will not be able to register the bike here in Cali, trust me i know.

So then what is the point of the 7500 mile rule, how is it verified? Sorry not from CA so not familiar with your wacky laws lol

So then what is the point of the 7500 mile rule, how is it verified? Sorry not from CA so not familiar with your wacky laws lol

I dont know,   but i just know it wont work,  without all the smog stuff,  the emissions sticker and showing a cali title,  it CANT be registered,   theres a reason theres a 49 state bike,  and a CALI bike,  they cray cray out here. 

CA was the first state to implement auto emissions, the feds followed CA.  CA still has the most stringent rules. For various reasons (taxes and emissions). CA does not want people buying out of state when they are CA residents.  So there is a time and mileage requirement before a vehicle is considered "used" and can be brought in and licensed in state.

Motorcycles are an odd duck because only CA requires a fuel tank vapor recovery system on motorcycles.  All cars and trucks have it in 50 states but only MC in CA.  I can't argue with 150ron about if a non CA compliant vehicle can ever be registered in CA but I'm not totally convinced there is not a mileage and age limit.