2001 DRZ400s - Gas Tanks and Ideas

Hello All - 

I just picked up a 01 drz400s and plan to use it for commuting to work and trails.  Im looking for a few things and ideas to make it work best for me.  Im trying to find a decently priced plastic aftermarket-gas tank as to not crack or dent when I drop it on the trails.  Also, Im trying to find a decent set of wheels to put with some d606's.  The current set up has street oriented tires and a big ole rotor.  Hopefully I can find a decent wheel set up with a stock rotor so it doesnt get damaged by the woods.  If you all have any ideas please let me know!

Any aftermarket tank should be beef enough to not crack (atleast i havent seen one)

As for your wheels i bet you someone will trade you for that supermoto wheels for a dirt wheels in a heart beat

I have the IMS 4.25 gallon tank. I like that it acts as the radiator wings, and much more solid for blocking limbs and such from hitting them. I also like I can go a ton more miles than stock. I put on the raptor petcock (got rid of vacuum) and did the stock length main tube mod (I did a write up on that on another thread) for much larger reserve.  Very sturdy and fits great with frame, mounts and seat. I did have to take a file to the petcock mount area after a while to get it perfectly flat for optimum seal at the o-ring gasket there. The petcock mount holes are inserts, so the bolts don't go into the tank itself like stock tank. So less chance of drips.  Another cool thing is, you can take off the cap and look straight down at the inside side of petcock with a flashlight, plain as day. This allows for visual inspection of possible sediment, clogged filter screens, and to see exact fuel level.  If you run out of gas, and then from reserve. You can lay the bike on the left side and lift up from the bottom of bike to put another quart into your reserve from the right wing (the "reserve reserve"). But with the over 4 gallon capacity, you do get about 4 full gallons of usable fuel without doing that. It's an emergency move.

If I am doing single track kind of tech stuff, and not to far from the trailer, I only put in a couple gallons at a time...to keep weight down. Larger reserve is nice there too. 

Note, decals don't like plastic tanks!  They will bubble most likely, although some folks think perfed vinyl will work. Haven't tried it.  My bike came with the tank from PO, but if I bought new, I would go for the cool "clear" ones that show fuel level from outside. Those are sweet and look good on just about any color scheme. 

Pics below:

20150123_173532_LLS.jpeg

20150123_173516_LLS.jpeg

20150123_173554_LLS.jpeg

Clarke 4 gallon is only 209 dollars at wheeling cycle supply. I would buy a yamaha raptor petcock from the thumpertalk store as well. Like 30 bucks

Heads up the stock clarke gas cap sucks. A metal only like the tusk one is alot better.

Edited by sdhydro

Hello All - 

I just picked up a 01 drz400s and plan to use it for commuting to work and trails.  Im looking for a few things and ideas to make it work best for me.  Im trying to find a decently priced plastic aftermarket-gas tank as to not crack or dent when I drop it on the trails.  Also, Im trying to find a decent set of wheels to put with some d606's.  The current set up has street oriented tires and a big ole rotor.  Hopefully I can find a decent wheel set up with a stock rotor so it doesnt get damaged by the woods.  If you all have any ideas please let me know!

I made the same choice with Dunlop 606 as my first knobby, they work well for a knobby on road and I found the rear to be fine off road, However I found the front was not any good (at least for my conditions) the side wall is very ridged and doesn't allow the tire to flex to grip rocks and roots. Even aired down to 6-8psi I was never happy with this tire. If your riding areas involve woods rocks and roots there are better tires out there. I purchased the 606 because of raving reviews I found online... I was disappointed... I now am running a Pirelli MT16 DOT rated front and find it handles night and day over the 606. even at 15psi it grips better than the 606. I also find the track master rear to be an improvement over the 606 this is just my experiance

I have the IMS 4.25 gallon tank. I like that it acts as the radiator wings, and much more solid for blocking limbs and such from hitting them. I also like I can go a ton more miles than stock. I put on the raptor petcock (got rid of vacuum) and did the stock length main tube mod (I did a write up on that on another thread) for much larger reserve.  Very sturdy and fits great with frame, mounts and seat. I did have to take a file to the petcock mount area after a while to get it perfectly flat for optimum seal at the o-ring gasket there. The petcock mount holes are inserts, so the bolts don't go into the tank itself like stock tank. So less chance of drips.  Another cool thing is, you can take off the cap and look straight down at the inside side of petcock with a flashlight, plain as day. This allows for visual inspection of possible sediment, clogged filter screens, and to see exact fuel level.  If you run out of gas, and then from reserve. You can lay the bike on the left side and lift up from the bottom of bike to put another quart into your reserve from the right wing (the "reserve reserve"). But with the over 4 gallon capacity, you do get about 4 full gallons of usable fuel without doing that. It's an emergency move.

If I am doing single track kind of tech stuff, and not to far from the trailer, I only put in a couple gallons at a time...to keep weight down. Larger reserve is nice there too. 

Note, decals don't like plastic tanks!  They will bubble most likely, although some folks think perfed vinyl will work. Haven't tried it.  My bike came with the tank from PO, but if I bought new, I would go for the cool "clear" ones that show fuel level from outside. Those are sweet and look good on just about any color scheme. 

Pics below:

Perforated vinyl still bubble a little. What tires are those, looks like trials? How are they on the DRZ? Probably great in woods and rocky stuff!  Ive been tempted to run a trials tire but get some mud in my areas so that keeps me pulling the trigger

it works fine for me stock, just stick some 606's on there, stock gears, and keep the speed and throttle-twist torque reasonable on the pavement .. if your thrashing it around on rough trails its not like youre keeping the bike nice anyway, who cares about a couple of scrapes and dings .. those are battle scars lol .. i would say probably the best thing you could do is put a beefy bar on it, the bar keeps the bike off the ground more than naything else, if that bends the whole side will probably get ripped off radiator and everything heheh ...

Perforated vinyl still bubble a little. What tires are those, looks like trials? How are they on the DRZ? Probably great in woods and rocky stuff!  Ive been tempted to run a trials tire but get some mud in my areas so that keeps me pulling the trigger

Hey Dr. D...Yep, those be the Pirelli MT43 trials front and rear on this bike.  I haven't got much chance to try on the snotty trails yet, but if they are even close to the rave reviews lead me to believe I'm very excited to get crazy out there this year (and just put on my new gearing for the hills). The reason I chose them is for better grip,  confidence, and plush on the dirt (plus they are earth friendly compared to the whoop/rut creating knobs).  Love them on the road. Done maybe 50 pavement miles or so and they still got the hairs on them. Running 15 psi pavement (better than 20 imo), and going down to 8-10 for dirt with rim lock and tenda HD tuff tubes to avoid pinches. Way better on the road than the d606 front/rear they replaced.  Much more sure footed around corners.  No vibe at low speed, etc. Should have a chance to hit some rocks, hills, mud, roots, etc in a much bigger way very soon. I will post a review on them after I've put some dirt miles on them this spring for sure. 

Oh...thought a quick edit is needed here:  If you are already on tippy toes with other tires, consider that when looking that these tires. They are tall. I'm only 5'8" so I'm hoping when I try 8 psi they squish down a bit and maybe get half an inch back. Looking at the seat concepts low seat also to counter. 

Edited by DougBurgoyne