Ktm 350 blacked out signal illegal?

I have a 2014 ktm 350. I'm buying a new tail light for it. The brake light is red, but the turn signals on side are blacked out. When they blink they are yellow. I live in California and I was wondering if it illegal to have that. If so I'll buy a different one with the turn signals integrated into the brake light. Ty for responses.

I have the same ones. But my lenses are what you would call "smoked" which give the appearance of being blacked out but have an amber light when activated.

I believe the rear ones are to be spaced at least 9" apart and the front 16" to be "legal" and are supposed to be amber, not just project an amber light. So I guess, technically, the smoked lenses would not be "legal" per se.

Im in ca. and i've never run rear turn signals. only got pulled over once, no tickets........

Hand signals as soon as you see a cop

Hand signals as soon as you see a cop

Hand gestures for everyone else.

I haven't checked the law personally, but my understanding is hand signals will only get you out of a ticket on older vintage bikes that do not have signals.  I liked the look of the smoked signals, but went with the orange ones as I didn't want to give the man another reason to hassle me.  I'm a bit paranoid after being pulled over and ticketed in my Jeep for no other reason than not having opaque covers on my off road lights (broad day light, lights were off, over 100 bucks, no fix it option . . . but at least in his effort to protect and serve, he did advise me that if another cop saw me on the way home from work, I might get another ticket . . . God Bless America).

Edited by schmo

Well it's a good thing he ticketed you for that major crime against society, we all know your next crime spree was to sell heroin to high schoolers.........

We all should be grateful to the badge-toting lawman for recognizing your obvious path down the dirty road of crime and keeping society free from evil wrong-doers like you by giving you a citation for uncovered lights.

Sgt. Joe Friday would be proud of him.

Well it's a good thing he ticketed you for that major crime against society, we all know your next crime spree was to sell heroin to high schoolers.........

We all should be grateful to the badge-toting lawman for recognizing your obvious path down the dirty road of crime and keeping society free from evil wrong-doers like you by giving you a citation for uncovered lights.

Sgt. Joe Friday would be proud of him.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1425622816.202989.jpg

V C Section 24951 Turn Signal System  

Turn Signal System

24951. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.

( B) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.

(1) Motor trucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.

(2) Trailers and semitrailers manufactured and first registered between December 31, 1957, and January 1, 1969, having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more.

(3) Trailers and semitrailers 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969.

(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.

The requirements of this subdivision shall not apply to special mobile equipment, or auxiliary dollies.

© Turn signal lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches.

V C Section 24952 Visibility Requirements of Signals  

Visibility Requirements of Signals

24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.

Amended Ch. 1012, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

V C Section 24953 Turn Signal Lamps

Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

( B) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.

© In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.

(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light.

Amended Ch. 207, Stats. 1994. Effective July 18, 1994.
Amended Sec. 22, Ch. 945, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998.
Edited by MrCarts

Anything fun be illegal, and anything look good usually illegal too.

Turn Signals (24951, 24952, 24953 VC). A turn signal system, if installed, shall include four turn signal lamps, two single-faced or two double-faced front lamps, and two single-faced rear lamps. The two lamps at each end shall be mounted at least nine inches apart and as far apart as practicable, with the front lamps at least four inches from the nearest luminous edge of the low beam headlamp. Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles if speed attainable in one mile is 30 mph or less, are required to be equipped with turn signal systems with the front turn signal lamps spaced at least 16 inches apart and the rear turn signal lamps spaced at least 9 inches apart. The lamp shall be so connected that the front and rear lamps on the side toward which a turn is signaled shall flash simultaneously. The system shall also include a flasher and a visual indicator to the driver that the turn signal lamps are on. The rear sections of double-faced front lamps may serve as the required indicators. The lamps shall project white or amber light to the front and red or amber light to the rear. The lamps shall be plainly visible from 300 feet to front and rear. On vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1969, the turn signal lamps shall be mounted no less than 15 inches above the roadway and the front lamps must be amber. Turn signals are not required on motorized bicycles.

Basically anything that won't snap off is illegal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anything that's not DOT approved is legal.  Almost none of the aftermarket lights are DOT.  Some say meets DOT specs, but that's not approved unless it has the DOT lettering on the lens?  This may give the insurance companies some wiggle room to deny your claim.

AFAIK, all street legal bikes have DOT equipment from the factory.  

Yeah that might be useful info, if the crap from the factory lasted more than a ride or two. 

I was mainly responding to the OP's original question.

And yeah, I know what you mean.  

The factory lighting is outrageously expensive while the aftermarket sidesteps regulations.

Also, you're not supposed to ride the bike on its side.

I have a 2014 ktm 350. I'm buying a new tail light for it. The brake light is red, but the turn signals on side are blacked out. When they blink they are yellow. I live in California and I was wondering if it illegal to have that. If so I'll buy a different one with the turn signals integrated into the brake light. Ty for responses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anything that's not DOT approved is legal.  Almost none of the aftermarket lights are DOT.  Some say meets DOT specs, but that's not approved unless it has the DOT lettering on the lens?  This may give the insurance companies some wiggle room to deny your claim.

Yeah that might be useful info, if the crap from the factory lasted more than a ride or two. 

I was mainly responding to the OP's original question.

And yeah, I know what you mean.  

The factory lighting is outrageously expensive while the aftermarket sidesteps regulations.

Also, you're not supposed to ride the bike on its side.

WORD!  The rear signal on my EXC lasted one ride . . . one minor get off and the stocker popped off and was melted by the time I got back to the truck . . . the Slavens signals have held up well for 4 years, but I'm guessing they are illegal as they probably are not 9" apart or DOT approved.   :lame:

Edited by schmo

WORD!  The rear signal on my EXC lasted one ride . . . one minor get off and the stocker popped off and was melted by the time I got back to the truck . . . the Slavens signals have held up well for 4 years, but I'm guessing they are illegal as they probably are not 9" apart or DOT approved.   :lame:

The DOT approval is a shortcoming of the aftermarket.  We want legal stuff.

We want legal stuff.

I'd prefer to have upstanding LEO's who focus on protecting and serving, rather than writing tickets for ticky tack nonsense that is only intended to bring in revenue.

I'd prefer to have upstanding LEO's who focus on protecting and serving, rather than writing tickets for ticky tack nonsense that is only intended to bring in revenue.

Dream on.