Moving up to 'B' Class 2 hour hare scrambles...what to expect? How to train?

I did great in the 'C' class this year (my first full year...3rd for the season in points) and want to move up to 'B' that means 2 hours instead of 1. So those of you that have moved up and remember, what were some of the things you saw as dramatically different. I know it's another hour longer but. 

1. Did you pace your self more or still go all out?

2. Did you stop at all to rest, eat something quickly or just keep riding?

3. Did you have to pit at all or did your bike have a big enough tank?

Maybe you all can give me a couple tips on what to expect and how to do the best I can. I am already doing the training in the gym and on bicycle for cardio but the weather in MN is not good enough to ride the bike yet. 

Thanks!!

Looking forward to a great year of racing. 

do what you do now, but for longer.  it does not matter what class you are in, you still need to ride within your means. crashing will be your biggest problem, go as fast as you can at the start to get ahead of the reckless yahoooooooos...  then after you get with a group of seemingly equal speed and ability, start pacing yourself against them and start looking for areas to pass and move up...   passing is always a risk, but depends on the course layout, know where you can pass and where you need to just follow and show patience...    go as fast at you can without crashing, which should always be your goal.   good luck.

Ur gunna want to train. A lot b4 season. When u practice don't slow down currently ur tired. Go for a run. The little things lake a difference. My 06 crf250r had a big enough tank but my 11 I have to stop with a stock tank.

You're going to need to up your cardio...a lot. I do a lot of miles on different types of bicycles to stay in reasonable shape. You really won't know how you're going to hold up, 'till you do a 2 hr race. I pace myself mid-back, until the back end, then start passing tired riders. I prolly won't win that way, but I'm old & have to work.

• Like 3

You're going to need to up your cardio...a lot. I do a lot of miles on different types of bicycles to stay in reasonable shape. You really won't know how you're going to hold up, 'till you do a 2 hr race. I pace myself mid-back, until the back end, then start passing tired riders. I prolly won't win that way, but I'm old & have to work.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... Upping my cardio. I'm already in pretty good shape with frequent gym visits but most of my workouts were more weight lifting centric. I started doing a lot more compound exercises like cross fit stuff and now leaning more towards the cardio spectrum. Once the weather clears in Minnesota and I'm back there I'll start doing some hour+ motos and then work my way up to 2+.

Coincidentally I'm in Thailand now so training here in super hot weather isn't so fun. Haha.. Get to see how Poto does in the MXGP this weekend.

Thanks for all the help here.

Edited by nigelnigel

When I moved b class, I noticed the pace wasnt that much faster, but everyone was way more consistent with the pace.

The b guys just made less mistakes than the c guys. The jump from b class up to a class seems like where the big jump in all out speed comes into play.

• Like 2

When I moved b class, I noticed the pace wasnt that much faster, but everyone was way more consistent with the pace.

The b guys just made less mistakes than the c guys. The jump from b class up to a class seems like where the big jump in all out speed comes into play.

Total opposite for me c to b was big speed change b to a is just more consistent with less mistakes
  • Like 1

Total opposite for me c to b was big speed change b to a is just more consistent with less mistakes

Odd. Here the front of the c class often finish above mid pack b or better.

The front of the b class still finish towards the end of the a class.

In my series fast c guys lap time are about mid pack b. First place b often top 30% of a class guys. I know running the b class I had a lot of overall 20s that's including all a and aa classes. My best ever was overall 23 while running 250b but I had a lot of like 28 27 overall. And there's usually 15 or 20 aa and 10 or so vet aa. my lap times in 250b were pretty consistent to being around 4th or so in 250a.

It's so wierd the difference in levels of compitition from one region to the next.

The mistakes will set you back more in B. If you can relax and stay with a pack of riders in your class, the speed will come. You'll be able to see lines open up, that C riders miss. You can learn alot from following faster riders. I did. Most important thing is to have fun.

In the "North" regional forum there is a Minnesota District 23 racing thread that is pretty active.  I'd post there and you will get some good advice from B riders in the region.  I'm considering Moving up to B class this year also.  I've been running and since most of the snow is gone now practice riding starts tomorrow.  March 1st was the deadline to get your district membership to keep last years number, if you haven't done it there may still be time.

Also, if you stay active in the regional forum you will probably get a chance to go trail riding (practicing) with some more experienced riders.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1004149-hare-scramblesenduraomx-races/page-55

Edited by speedtoad

In the "North" regional forum there is a Minnesota District 23 racing thread that is pretty active. I'd post there and you will get some good advice from B riders in the region. I'm considering Moving up to B class this year also. I've been running and since most of the snow is gone now practice riding starts tomorrow. March 1st was the deadline to get your district membership to keep last years number, if you haven't done it there may still be time.

Also, if you stay active in the regional forum you will probably get a chance to go trail riding (practicing) with some more experienced riders.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1004149-hare-scramblesenduraomx-races/page-55

Hey thanks. Yeah I race District 23 also so I'll post up there too. I haven't been able to secure my last year's number yet.. After numerous unanswered emails... Because it's by mail only if I'm not mistaken and I'm in Thailand but coming back at the end of the month. I've been keeping aware of the weather there (Minneapolis area) and it's looking nice! Thanks for the tips. See you in Cambridge on May 3rd. (^_-)

okay.  I don't remember your face, but I remember we talked briefly at Trollhaugan.  Your riding buddy has a yz250f.  I only raced two hare scrambles last year and Trollhaugan was a nightmare.  I was leaving to go riding in the Black Hills the Wednesday after the race, so after Flying over my handlebars twice I gave up.  I think my second lap was almost twice as long as my first.

I did all the enduro's last year.  If you and your friend are going to B class maybe I'll stay in C and go for a year end award. ?

Yeah.. That was my brother. He ended up first for the year and me 3rd. We're both moving to B class so it's all yours! You should try hitting all the races this year.

I knew it was your brother.  I just trying to protect your privacy a little.  I rode with C-P (thumpertalk name) on Wednesday.  He said he's ridden with you and your brother and used to work with your brother.

I knew it was your brother. I just trying to protect your privacy a little. I rode with C-P (thumpertalk name) on Wednesday. He said he's ridden with you and your brother and used to work with your brother.

Oh yeah.. We rode late in the fall at Nemadji together. I saw his last YouTube video riding and there was still snow. Can't wait to get back and start riding. Looks like this isn't anything like the shi**y spring we had last year.

• Like 1

The only few races I've done were C hare scrambles, but it was for 2 hours.  Because of how I finished I ended up going for about 2 and a half hours each.  I remember going too hard in the first hour, even though I thought I was taking it slower than full pace, and bonking HARD around 1:00.  

My advice is to go trail ride for 2 hours straight with NO rests and get an idea how you feel.  It doesn't need to be race pace, just don't ever stop.  Then go do it at race pace...

basically you need a LOT of endurance/cardio.  And gas, lots of gas.

• Like 2

I've been racing B class this year and as most people are saying, consistency is key. When I got out there is seemed that most the guys in my class were riding slow at the start but I came to realize that they were riding about 80% of full speed but they could hold it for 2hrs easily. Being my first race,I went hard at the beginning and wore myself out in 30-40min and dropped pace which resulted in a 5th place finish. Not bad for my first race and being in B class but I've definitely got to up my cardio and work on making fewer mistakes. Every time you go down it may not seen like much, but it wears you out picking up a bike and drops your confidence a little resulting in slowing down subconsciously. All in all, just ride,a lot. That's the only way to prepare. Also hydrate extremely well. Start loading up a few days beforehand on water and Gatorade. You will lose a ton of water in 2 hrs riding hard.

Thanks for your reply. Did you do any training besides riding a lot? Like running, biking, strength training? From what I see the consensus is pace yourself and ride as much as possible before the first race. This will be am awesome learning experience.

Also, think about your entire "program".

How is your bike?  Tire selection well sorted?  Suspension well sorted?  Have you had any issues?  (stalling, starting)  If your tank can't go for 2 hrs then I'd suggest a slightly larger tank that will.  (you'll waste a good chunk of time stopping for gas)

Hydration - I assume you wear some sort of water bladder to drink from?  Water only?  Or sports drink?

Nutrition - what are you eating before? 

Nice light helmet, well vented?  Excellent goggles and ready for all sorts of weather conditions? 

Gloves that do not cause blisters?  Taping hands?  (or don't need to?)

Basically review your successful C class year and try to improve every aspect of your program.