German Magazine 350 4-Stroke Enduro Shootout

German Magazine: http://www.motorradonline.de/vergleichstest/350er-sportenduros-von-beta-husqvarna-ktm-und-sherco-im-vergleichstest/628748

Beta RR 350 EFI, Husqvarna FE 350 KTM 350 EXC-F and Sherco 300 SEF-R

350cc sport bikes in the comparison test

In the 350ern sport bikes, the air is burning. Because more than half of all four-stroke sport bikes sold in this class. The battle for dominance in the undergrowth raging violently. Beta RR 350 EFI, Husqvarna FE 350 KTM 350 EXC-F and Sherco 300 SEF-R in the comparison test.

There reigns presented for the 2012 season founder of this segment, the KTM 350 EXC-F .With each year about 7,000 machines sold is currently selling sports enduro world. The success of the competition calls on the scene. For example, the Beta RR 350 EFI. The addition stands for Electronic Fuel Injection, signaled on the model 2015, the premiere of the fuel injection in the range of the Italians. The Husqvarna FE 350 reports on claims. A rear frame made of plastic, a closed cartridge forks and - most importantly - an indirect lever monoshock distinguish it from its intragroup KTM half-sister. This self-confident presents the Sherco 300 SEF-R. The southerners equip their bikes - the first off-road machinery manufacturer ever - since 2004 with injection from. In-house engines are already a matter of course in only twelve years young sports enduro history of the manufacturer of Nimes. And they all want the same thing: the KTM discharged from the podium.

4th place: Sherco 300 SEF-R

100_Test%20Technik_Vergleichstest_350er-

Sherco 300 SEF-R.

Photo: Gargolov

304 cubic: With a displacement disadvantage of nearly 50 cc goes Sherco300 SEF-R with her ​​based on the 250 chassis engine into the race. The reason why the Sherco engine characteristically positioned completely different from the rest of the trio. Speed ​​is the pound, with the overgrown the DOHC single. On the Motocross Track, the training area of ​​the bulk of the Enduro pilots and basis for most cross country trails in this country no problem. With the finger on the clutch at corner exit bring the micromotor as early as possible on tours and then rotate, then it goes ahead with the Sherco. Up to 13,000 / min - at least 1200 Tours higher than the rest of the test field - cheered the 43-hp single-cylinder high.

With noticeably less punch than its larger displacement colleagues (see performance chart) calls the 300-blowing set by the pilot attention. Who can go down the speed, losing valuable meters. Attention of the pilot of Sherco 300 SEF-R should be ahead of the curve. In order to reduce the drag torque of the motor, stepper motor of the French Synerject injection holds still for a moment, opened a little in push mode, the throttle valve. In practice, the engine pushes shortly after with increased speed and only then drop to idle level. Getting used to.

pfeil.gif 250 cc sport bikes from Gas Gas, Husqvarna and KTM in the test

pfeil.gif About Sherco

For the Sherco 300 SEF-R compensated with the handiest chassis in its class. With delicate leg pressure they articulated on the cross slope in curves a, holds the razor-sharp line, feels despite objectively weighed 110 kg significantly easier as the 109-116 pound competition.Chapeau. This ease throws them in the Enduro terrain in the pan. Clean balanced and so trialt over boulders passages, easy to calculate stresses the clean engine dosed the front wheel. The optional, selectable via a handle switch emphasized tame mapping it never needs in this gentle characteristics.

The harmony in the rough atmosphere disturbs rather appealing hakelig Open cartridge front fork from WP Suspension. The more slippery it gets, the more shall the torque shortcoming of the Sherco 300 SEF-R in the background, let the pilot easily find traction, zirkeln the tightest bends through the undergrowth and the Frenchwoman clearly define it - as Enduro purest water, for more than four square next to some finetuning in suspension and engine tuning one thing missing: 50 cc more displacement.

Course 2: Beta RR 350 EFI

140_Test%20Technik_Vergleichstest_350er-

Beta RR 350 EFI.

Fine-tuning? In this word, the pilots of the Beta RR 350 EFI pointed ears. As an in-house engine valve actuation via rocker arms and separate oil circuit for motor and would gear not already settled at the upper end of the current Enduro engine technology, the Italians now also applied an injection. The information provided by Synerject as in the Sherco 300 SEF-R system works perfectly: easy starting, instantaneous throttle response, no increased idle and no drips.

Alive and kicking the propellant charge depends on the gas, animated with a low internal friction and running almost velvety, untwist the aisles. Lens, the Beta RR acquiesces 350 EFI - in contrast to its more than 12,000 / min rotating predecessors - this year, although with moderate maximum speed of 10,500 / min. The music does not even need. The fact that the propellant surpassed in the middle of all speed fellow activists (see performance chart), even it shows him in his famous education at. And because he otherwise unremarkable potent behaves with butter-smooth operating transmission, to forgive him that the Husqvarna FE 350 and KTM 350 EXC-F press in the last third of three speed hp more peak power to the role.

pfeil.gif Beta RR 350 EFI model 2015 Fahrbericht

pfeil.gif About beta

Even chassis of the Beta RR 350 EFI concentrated more on their strengths enduristischen.As a trial bike soaks up the RR with the relatively soft-adjusted Sachs shock elements on the stone fields, but this alignment must pay on the motocross runway tribute and rides there deep in forciertem pace in their spring travel. It also makes the stresses towering steering head heavily to weight the front wheel turns. Even Max by ambitious standpipes not transform the beta for Eckenwetzer. But because the Florentine clearly focused on the enduro use and so finely ground in this model year as has never thrown in their red skin, only one thing left to say: Complimenti for second place. She shares with the KTM 350 EXC-F.

2nd place: KTM 350 EXC-F

080_Test%20Technik_Vergleichstest_350er-

KTM 350 EXC-F.

What, only the place of honor for the former sole ruler? No Panic. Because of their outstanding qualities so far has not lost one iota the KTM 350 EXC-F. As before, it is 109 kilograms, the lightest, with 46 hp the strongest and with their spontaneous power delivery and the liveliest of this quartet. But their potential is revealed only to those who know how to make their contribution to the common Eckenwetz.

artikel.gif Comparison Test: KTM 350 EXC-F KTM 450 EXC against

pfeil.gif All products for KTM 350 EXC-F

The lightweight front end demands of the bends a dedicated physical exertion and the small acceleration waves little sensitive responsive PDS shock absorber strong pressure on the footrests. Who moved the KTM 350 EXC-F active and engaged, is banging with any of these four bikes faster on motocross tracks. In more complicated or slippery terrain enduro require the class in comparison snappy hands-motor states and tight hindquarters However, according to an experienced pilot who skillfully glättendem finger on the clutch and targeted loading and unloading of the suspension builds traction. Then the impulsive KTM enters the same step of the podium as the mild-mannered Beta RR 350 EFI - only just coming from the opposite direction.

1st place: Husqvarna FE 350

040_Test%20Technik_Vergleichstest_350er-

Husqvarna FE 350th

A KTM with redirection instead of pretty gnarly appealing PDS shock absorber, which had some of the Enduro customers wished for. Wherein the modified Husqvarna suspension has far-reaching consequences.In fact, the ride on the Husqvarna FE 350 is significantly different from that on the KTM 350 EXC-F. Especially the little front of the EXC soaked in the FE is a neutral-feeling front section. On smooth terrain, the front wheel bites aggressively into the ground, in the extended Geschlängel meets the FE ruts precise. 

Their part in carrying the good responsive fork showing clearly superior to also derived from WP Suspension open cartridge forks in the KTM and Sherco 300 SEF-R. Sensitive put away the Hebelei activated on the Monoshock acceleration waves and tensions with its successful coordination accomplished to delicate balancing act in singletrack to the high-speed performance at the cross slope. However: the playful handling of the KTM 350 EXC-F does not have the 113 kilograms compared four kilos heavier Husqvarna FE 350.

pfeil.gif News from Husqvarna at EICMA 2014

pfeil.gif About Husqvarna

The order which is now placed in the middle strut inevitably run around in an arc Suction costs the technically adopted unchanged from the KTM FE engine in the upper rpm range a little power (see diagram). Also from low revs saith the propellant charge a bit more subdued in. For this, can the gentler propellant in tricky terrain easier measured and together with the sensitive rear suspension for the best traction of the Gang of Four. And because the Husqvarna with their tuned for a wide range of applications running gear, emphasizes neutral handling and ultimately still potent engine is the most uniform and efficient overall package, the majority of off-road drivers for Husqvarna FE 350 should mainly be one thing: fire and flame.

Edited by HuskyRips

Hard to follow with the translator. I rode all but the Beta and feel a little different. I liked the FE350 (2014) over the KTM (2015) in everything but all out power. Sherco (2014) was the leader in handling and agility, lightest feel of the bunch. The Beta's I owned and rode are too far off from the new 2015 models to give a comparison to the other newer bikes.

I agree about the translator.

I just sold my '14 KTM 350 EXC-F after riding it about 80hrs/2,000 miles.  It was a GREAT bike, the only reason I sold it was because I was looking for a new project and a I sold it to a good acquaintance of mine locally.

My current bike....'14 Husky FE250 that I converted to street legal.....thank you Nevada for allowing me to pay you a small registration fee :)......while doesn't have as much peak torque/horsepower as the KTM 350, because of the  combination of power delivery and handling traits make it a more FUN bike to ride.   Definitely  NOTHING  wrong with the KTM 350 but I like this Husky better !

And as far as the suspension......I set the shock to the factory recommended "comfort" setting and the forks full soft on compression and "comfort" setting for the rebound.  Done.  Does GREAT for the solid intermediate riding that I do out here in the desert.

Regarding Beta......I've owned an '11 450RR that I also converted to NV street legal status.   I liked the bike a LOT !

I probably won't buy another Beta mainly because .....again this is just my opinion......I feel like I'm buying it from a guy/guys out of their backyard garage.  And.....not only is the resale much worse than KTM and probably Husky there are almost no buyers at any price.   Which I know is a factor in the previous statement.   This is from actual experience when I went to sell my Beta.  I suppose if I could accept these facts and buy a Beta 250RR ('15 model year) and ride it until it dies.....a very very long time.....then throw it away ....I'd buy one.  But I like the "project" factor too much to do this.

Just my .02 maybe :)

Dave

16489476388_13bba220af_b.jpg

Edited by Rider777