2002 cr250, running out of gear

Hello everyone, I have 2002 cr250, last week the reeds went bad so I replaced then with v force 3 reeds, now the bike feels like I'm running out of gear way to quick. Idk if it needs to be a gearing change or Jetting or what. The bike did not run like this before I changed the reeds.

Thank you

instal a fresh properly gaped plug in your bike.

you need a long straight area to get the bike up into top gear with throttle wide open.

once your pinned in top gear for about 4 or 5 seconds, pull in clutch and hit kill switch, don't let off the throttle and let the bike roll to a stop.

take the plug out and read it.

look at the porcelain near the electrode, it should be a tan/light milk chocolate color.

if its white you are too lean.

if its a dark chocolate color your too rich.

then you just adjust the carb and continue plug chops until you get the jetting to the right spot.

instal a fresh properly gaped plug in your bike.

you need a long straight area to get the bike up into top gear with throttle wide open.

once your pinned in top gear for about 4 or 5 seconds, pull in clutch and hit kill switch, don't let off the throttle and let the bike roll to a stop.

take the plug out and read it.

look at the porcelain near the electrode, it should be a tan/light milk chocolate color.

if its white you are too lean.

if its a dark chocolate color your too rich.

then you just adjust the carb and continue plug chops until you get the jetting to the right spot.

So why cant you do this in 3rd or any other gear?

So why cant you do this in 3rd or any other gear?

not sure, going by what i see and read.

I guess if you stop in 3rd it does not have enough time to carbon the plug up giving a inaccurate reading, that is just a guess though.

need a pro 2 stroker to chime in with actual knowledge.

Edited by Excitable

Excitable is correct in that you need the wide open throttle "time" to let things happen. As you get experienced, you get a feel or ear for a lean or rich bike. Start with a shorter (time) 5th gear run & check the plug. If it looks good (coffee with cream color) go for a longer run & check again. Do this until you run through the powerband in 5th gear. If it still looks good after a full pull in 5th gear. The main is good. If the plug is white (no color) at any time during the run, jet up (larger) on the main until you start to get the proper color (coffee with cream).

Excitable is correct in that you need the wide open throttle "time" to let things happen. As you get experienced, you get a feel or ear for a lean or rich bike. Start with a shorter (time) 5th gear run & check the plug. If it looks good (coffee with cream color) go for a longer run & check again. Do this until you run through the powerband in 5th gear. If it still looks good after a full pull in 5th gear. The main is good. If the plug is white (no color) at any time during the run, jet up (larger) on the main until you start to get the proper color (coffee with cream).

ty for the confirmation ?

thank you, what about clip position/pilot jet

If you can get a chance to rotate your carb & check the main, it would verify you are in the proper range. Someone could have jetted it down due to the old reeds being bad. When you say you are running out of gear, does that mean you are getting to top gear & out of speed too quick or does it Hava a short pull through each gear? Either way, let us know your main jet along with the answer to the last question. The more we know the better we can & help you.

• Like 1

Yea I don't have anywhere I can get up to 86mph and coast to a stop. And even if I did find a road that long without some turns I'm not willing to do that on the street.

If you can get a chance to rotate your carb & check the main, it would verify you are in the proper range. Someone could have jetted it down due to the old reeds being bad. When you say you are running out of gear, does that mean you are getting to top gear & out of speed too quick or does it Hava a short pull through each gear? Either way, let us know your main jet along with the answer to the last question. The more we know the better we can & help you.

Good advice.  Look at your current jetting & report back.  Their are a couple of savy veterans on this forum that can help steer you in the right direction.