Sign in to follow this  

Toyota pickups=over rated

Trying to wrap my head around why people think these trucks are made of gold. I understand the motors and trannys have been proven to be reliable but I swear people are out of their minds when they put these things up for sale. Its not out of the ordinary to see a early 90's 4cyclinder with 250k + miles, rust, doors are different colors, and some worn out mud tires, and people are asking 4000+ for these things? Is it just a NC thing our is it like this everywhere?

• Like 1

I tried to buy one used when I totaled my 2002 (back in 2003). it was a waste of time. I was able to buy a brand new replacemen for $3k more than the price of a 1 yr old truck with 40k miles on it. And it's still running great 180k miles later (with about 25% of that being towing at/over the limit).

• Like 1

I'll never understand it. You can buy a near new old model chevy or ford for the price you buy one of those with 300k on it.. Plus they look terrible for the most part, at least to me.

I will say, we had a 02 Tacoma for a short while, with 280k on it, almost felt like driving a new car.

• Like 1

Are you talking Tacomas? I don't get it either. They are reliable, but the gas mileage even for the four cylinders is not all that much different then a full size with a V8. They also seem to be very rust prone. I will say used Tundras seem to be a little more reasonably priced then the Tacomas.

Edited by jg83

I have 86 4x4 with 260 thousand mIles that I have been trying to break for the last 10 years and it just keeps going. I have never seen any vehicle that can take its kind of abuse and be more reliable than anything else.it's also the cheapest and most simple truck to maintain nothing even compares. Check out top gear try to destroy toyota helix. And what truck do you see most with guns attached to them in developing countries

• Like 2

Having owned a variety of American and Japanese pickups, IMO the quality gap just isn't what it used to be. My 91 seemed like better quality than a newer ranger I owned as well. A similar year Exploder I drove frequently was no comparison to the Toyota. Anyway, I needed a bigger pickup so I got a 3rd gen Ram 2500 w/ the hemi. Although it has typical Dodge interior issues, the rest of the pickup seems fairly well built. It only has 140k miles on it now, but I see no reason why it couldn't go beyond 200k. 

If you want decent reliability, 90's chevy trucks with a 350 will get you to 300k.. And can be had cheap. Weakish tranny though. Original will only go to 150-200k. A rebuilt is good for more than 200k..

Toyota parts are a dime a dozen for 80's and 90's trucks. Big plus factor there.

everywhere....its the blue book... They hold value like no other

You also pay a premium on them like no other! Older Toyota's, I would agree with your statement but for easily the last 10yrs there has been nothing special about them...

• Like 4

I am on my second toyota PU.

First one i took to 300,000+ and sold easily for way more than i expected.

My current 08 tacoma has been flawless so far for first 100,000......still drives and looks brand new.....never been in the shop.

Off road its is vastly better than my  98 Z71.

But space limitations of the Tacoma frustrate me sometimes.....next truck may be a tundra for this reason alone.

You will not get to know the service dept if you drive Toyotas......this is why they fetch premium prices used.

Up until now, all the other small PU's just plain sucked......Tacomas owned the space.

I too am shocked at the resale value of tacomas, but its real!

For me the only value would be to buy a new tacoma and drive it at least 100,000 then sell or trade.

The best value would be to buy a used nontoyota truck, and do all the repairs yourself - if you have those skills.

I have 86 4x4 with 260 thousand mIles that I have been trying to break for the last 10 years and it just keeps going. I have never seen any vehicle that can take its kind of abuse and be more reliable than anything else.it's also the cheapest and most simple truck to maintain nothing even compares. Check out top gear try to destroy toyota helix. And what truck do you see most with guns attached to them in developing countries

I've seen that episode lol I know they are great trucks I'm talking about people who try to sell rust bucket Toyotas for crazy prices

I tend to agree with the OP. And the quality gap is rapidly closing, I think.

I've had 2 Fords, 1 Nissan, 2 Toyotas, 1 Dodge (current).

One thing to remember when considering reliability is the trucks actual use. The 4 door pickup has replaced the minivan as the soccer moms vehicle of choice. 

Around here an actual work/tow/etc. truck is likely to be a full size American truck.

Mike

I'm on my 5th Toyota 4x4. Previously had an 89, 00, and 05 4Runner and a 99 Tacoma. Just got a 2015 Tacoma SR 4x4 with a 4 cylinder, and a 5 speed manual.

Imo so long as you don't need a full size it's the best choice in the mid size market. Yes they hold their value well, but the alternative is a vehicle that tanks in value as soon as you buy it. So there is an advantage to owning one.

When I was recently shopping for a new Tacoma I had a hard time finding one that wasn't a base model, and I don't need a V6 really. The used market for the late model trucks made it more sense to just buy new rather than used or certified.

Edited by MXRider72

I was shopping in 06 for a midsized truck, and after looking at a few at dealerships I now own a Nissan Frontier.  The dealerships, even looking at used trucks, were pompous a-holes and were unwilling to move on price.  After one called me back after a week to see if I was still interested I told him that I had just bought a Nissan.  His reply was "well, you'll be back in to see us after that thing dies".  

I won't argue that Toyota's aren't good trucks, but I think the best value goes to Nissan.  It's slightly less reliable (but only slightly) but they don't hold their value like gold.  I've beat mine offroad, and run every stoplight like I'm doing the 1/4 mile, and it's going strong at 170k.

I'm on my 5th Toyota 4x4. Previously had an 89, 00, and 05 4Runner and a 99 Tacoma. Just got a 2015 Tacoma SR 4x4 with a 4 cylinder, and a 5 speed manual.

Imo so long as you don't need a full size it's the best choice in the mid size market. Yes they hold their value well, but the alternative is a vehicle that tanks in value as soon as you buy it. So there is an advantage to owning one.

When I was recently shopping for a new Tacoma I had a hard time finding one that wasn't a base model, and I don't need a V6 really. The used market for the late model trucks made it more sense to just buy new rather than used or certified.

What did you pay for you Tacoma?

$26,200 before sales tax and licensing fees.

Ya, that's the hard pill to swallow. I just bought a 15 F150, paid a bit more but the vehicle is twice the truck in terms of towing, comfort, performance etc etc. Though the F150 might be worth less in few years then the Tacoma, it will twice the amount of work...

I really like the Tacomas but being that they are nearly $40kcnd (where as a nicely optioned F150 is the same) it's hard to justify them for what they are.

• Like 1

Ya, that's the hard pill to swallow. I just bought a 15 F150, paid a bit more but the vehicle is twice the truck in terms of towing, comfort, performance etc etc. Though the F150 might be worth less in few years then the Tacoma, it will twice the amount of work...

I really like the Tacomas but being that they are nearly $40kcnd (where as a nicely optioned F150 is the same) it's hard to justify them for what they are.

Yeah it certainly isn't a cheap truck, and it's not the most capable for hard work. However I don't need to use my personal truck for hard work. I have a F350 PSD FX4 company vehicle for that.

My reasoning for getting another Tacoma is they are reliable and they hold their value. Plus I need it to fit down a trail when I go camping. My plan is to slightly lift it with Fox coil overs and 1" larger tires. So that helps on the trails. And I only really need it to move 2 dirt bikes so it's not like I will work it hard.

If I had the money, I would have bought a Raptor, but you aren't getting into one of those for less than $50k new. That's the only other truck that interests me besides the Tacoma. But I get 2 Toyotas for that money.

Yeah it certainly isn't a cheap truck, and it's not the most capable for hard work. However I don't need to use my personal truck for hard work. I have a F350 PSD FX4 company vehicle for that.

My reasoning for getting another Tacoma is they are reliable and they hold their value. Plus I need it to fit down a trail when I go camping. My plan is to slightly lift it with Fox coil overs and 1" larger tires. So that helps on the trails. And I only really need it to move 2 dirt bikes so it's not like I will work it hard.

If I had the money, I would have bought a Raptor, but you aren't getting into one of those for less than $50k new. That's the only other truck that interests me besides the Tacoma. But I get 2 Toyotas for that money.

IMO, $26,200 ain't a bad deal for a new Tacoma 4x4 SR5. They will hold resale like crazy and like you I don't need a pickup to do "work" - just haul the dirt bikes and other lightweight odds/ends too large to fit into mini-van or SUV. When I shopped for my truck I found new to be best deal too in 2007 when the first $4 gas came. I got a new crew cab Nissan Titan 2WD for $20,500. I really like the extra space. When camping I simply sleep in my truck vs. a tent. :banana: Gas mileage is horrid but I only have 70,000 miles logged in 7.5 years of ownership. Besides, the V6s and even the I4s don't get that much better mileage wise. I get 17MPG hwy. 

Edited by shrubitup

IMO, $26,200 ain't a bad deal for a new Tacoma 4x4 SR5. They will hold resale like crazy and like you I don't need a pickup to do "work" - just haul the dirt bikes and other lightweight odds/ends too large to fit into mini-van or SUV. When I shopped for my truck I found new to be best deal too in 2007 when the first $4 gas came. I got a new crew cab Nissan Titan 2WD for $20,500. I really like the extra space. When camping I simply sleep in my truck vs. a tent. :banana: Gas mileage is horrid but I only have 70,000 miles logged in 7.5 years of ownership. Besides, the V6s and even the I4s don't get that much better mileage wise. I get 17MPG hwy.

Mine is actually an SR. It's kind of like a mixture between an SR5 and a TRD Sport, just without the hood scoop. It's got black aluminum wheels, color matched bumpers, fender flares, and mirrors, as well as smoked head lights and led tail lights. No intermittent wipers though lol. But it's got the convenience package, keyless entry, Bluetooth, steering wheel radio controls, and a pretty nice sound system. It's the nicest package available on the 4 cylinder 4x4 IMO. If I wanted a base model I could have gotten that for under $24k.

I haven't taken delivery yet because I had to order it. Should have it around the end of the month.

This is a similar truck except I ordered a metallic grey one. They had a black one on the lot but I've owned 3 black vehicles now and wasn't a huge fan. I've always liked the dark grey though.

8F26D995-0DF3-454F-9C8A-E7BC0A02AFDB_zps

Edited by MXRider72