Toyota pickups=over rated

In the end, trucks are about freedom. You can go places and do things with a truck that you can't do with a passenger car, even if you don't do these things with a truck. You can't put a price tag on freedom or even just knowing you have freedom.

• Like 2

In the end, trucks are about freedom. You can go places and do things with a truck that you can't do with a passenger car, even if you don't do these things with a truck. You can't put a price tag on freedom or even just knowing you have freedom.

Freedom? I thought that's what motorcycles are for! What about financial freedom or the lack there of because you got all your money tied up in a truck you don't use or may use 3 times a year? I know lots of people like that as well. They end up having to work all the time because they got to make ends meet, but hey if they ever get a day off they are going to put that baby in 4lo and wheel the shit out of it woooooo, except they don't want to scratch them 20" rims that seem to be standard equipment anymore and the rim dressing that are passing for tires just does not have the grip.

Edited by jg83
  • Like 2

Freedom? I thought that's what motorcycles are for! What about financial freedom or the lack there of because you got all your money tied up in a truck you don't use or may use 3 times a year? I know lots of people like that as well. They end up having to work all the time because they got to make ends meet, but hey if they ever get a day off they are going to put that baby in 4lo and wheel the shit out of it woooooo, except they don't want to scratch them 20" rims that seem to be standard equipment anymore and the rim dressing that are passing for tires just does not have the grip.

Well said. There are all kinds of freedom, including financial freedom. If I was still working, had a very long commute and gas prices were out of sight, I would not hesitate one minute in trading in a 4WD truck for a Toyota Prius. Everything in life is a trade off of some sort. Each person has to determine what the acceptable trade-off for themselves is. I generally try to do with the minimum necessary to do things which I deem important. That's why I picked a Dodge RAM 1500 Tradesman, the most stripped down RAM you can get. None of the chrome and other bells and whistles like electronic door locks. But in retrospect, I now wish I would have got the Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab, definitely a step down from the RAM but will meet my requirements. But not cost effective at this point to trade down for a used Tacoma Regular Cab. But I can't say the RAM is way off. Gas mileage is not a factor. Turning radius and physical size is the only factor and I can easily adjust to it.  

• Like 1

I know alot of people swear by their Toyota trucks, but based on my last Yota I'll never own another. 

I am a mechanic by trade, used to specialize in Ford Diesel, but now I work at a shop that does it all. Ill start off by saying I am brand loyal to Ford, some people will flame me for it, some may give me a high five lol. The reason I prefer Ford? Never had a bad truck from them, ever. It may also be because I know them like the back of my hand ?  My worst truck was a 1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup with the 3.0.. the fuel economy of a v8, the power of a I4 and the reliabilty of a Yugo. I realize this engine was far from Toyota's best, but good god did it ever sour me.. after I replaced the 2nd cracked head in 2 years I sold it. Every time I turned around that thing was costing me money. If I had to pay for labor I would have been screwed. The only saving grace was I was able to sell it at a premium, as it was a "rare" truck around here and rust free.

I get Toyota's in the shop every now and then and every time I work on them it reminds me of a terrible time in my automobile ownership history lol

• Like 1

I know alot of people swear by their Toyota trucks, but based on my last Yota I'll never own another. 

I am a mechanic by trade, used to specialize in Ford Diesel, but now I work at a shop that does it all. Ill start off by saying I am brand loyal to Ford, some people will flame me for it, some may give me a high five lol. The reason I prefer Ford? Never had a bad truck from them, ever. It may also be because I know them like the back of my hand ?  My worst truck was a 1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup with the 3.0.. the fuel economy of a v8, the power of a I4 and the reliabilty of a Yugo. I realize this engine was far from Toyota's best, but good god did it ever sour me.. after I replaced the 2nd cracked head in 2 years I sold it. Every time I turned around that thing was costing me money. If I had to pay for labor I would have been screwed. The only saving grace was I was able to sell it at a premium, as it was a "rare" truck around here and rust free.

I get Toyota's in the shop every now and then and every time I work on them it reminds me of a terrible time in my automobile ownership history lol

Ya I think everyone pretty much had issues with that old 3.slow Toyota motor,

myself included.

Did you ever own a 6.0 powerstroke? I know a lot of guys who wrote Ford off

forever due to that motor and how the Ford dealerships treated them. You can

pick up those 6.0 outfitted trucks on Craigslist dirt cheap, for good reason.

Also, that gas 5.4 in the F150 had it's issues as well. I personally knew several people

who had their sparkplugs bust off when trying to replace. I'm sure you know about

these issues inside and out!

I guess what I'm trying to say is all manufacturers put out bad motors from time to time.

Your assesment of a manufacturer based on an early 90s truck seems a little crazy.

Ya I think everyone pretty much had issues with that old 3.slow Toyota motor,

myself included.

Did you ever own a 6.0 powerstroke? I know a lot of guys who wrote Ford off

forever due to that motor and how the Ford dealerships treated them. You can

pick up those 6.0 outfitted trucks on Craigslist dirt cheap, for good reason.

Also, that gas 5.4 in the F150 had it's issues as well. I personally knew several people

who had their sparkplugs bust off when trying to replace. I'm sure you know about

these issues inside and out!

I guess what I'm trying to say is all manufacturers put out bad motors from time to time.

Your assesment of a manufacturer based on an early 90s truck seems a little crazy.

Yeah Ive fixed more 6.0's that anything else, but truth be told once you fix the issues the truck is bulletproof. Alot of headgaskets were sold due to misdiagnosis of the EGR valve, which they would replace or delete when doing the heads. I will admit, it should have come that way from the factory, but it didnt.. ARP studs, deck shave, EGR delete and its one of the best diesels you can own, still not a 7.3, but up there. Ford no longer has a relationship with International, but it was due to the 6.4 incident. They now do their diesels (6.7) in house and I never ever had them come in for anything other than general maintenance. I love it when I see down 6.0's on Craigslist cause I buy them, repair them properly and sell them.

The 5.4 didnt have enough threads in the head for a few years.. was pretty crappy for alot of owners, but like you say, all manufacturers have hiccups now and then. The 5.4 was fixed shortly after the problem was identified, but not before tons of them were sold.

I dont have a hate on for Toyota by any means, like I say, alot of guys like them and thats fine man, we like what we like. Call me crazy, but after owning such a bad truck I just wouldn't ever buy another by them. It was a journey outside of my comfort zone that bit me in the ass.

• Like 1

"Cuz Ford nailed it on on 6.0 PSD's, 5.4 sparkplugs, and 4.0 v6 and it's cracked heads. Once you get aftermarket headgaskets on the 3.0, it's actually a pretty decent motor.

All of the above Ford motors weren't exactly the leaders in power or reliability in their respective classes.

The Chevy's running the 5.3 vortec are really nice. VERY smooth power delivery. Everyone is going to be brand loyal, so it's pretty hard to say who's best when 99% of the time it's a bias. I am personally biased to chevy..

I had a Chevy with the 5.3, rated at 285 horsepower i believe. It was a great truck; however, it

would drive me insane when driving with 2 bikes in the back. Any amount of head wind it wouldn't

hold 4th gear. It would constantly be hunting between 3rd and 4th... and no the truck wasn't lifted

with huge tires.

Yeah Ive fixed more 6.0's that anything else, but truth be told once you fix the issues the truck is bulletproof. Alot of headgaskets were sold due to misdiagnosis of the EGR valve, which they would replace or delete when doing the heads. I will admit, it should have come that way from the factory, but it didnt.. ARP studs, deck shave, EGR delete and its one of the best diesels you can own, still not a 7.3, but up there. Ford no longer has a relationship with International, but it was due to the 6.4 incident. They now do their diesels (6.7) in house and I never ever had them come in for anything other than general maintenance. I love it when I see down 6.0's on Craigslist cause I buy them, repair them properly and sell them.

The 5.4 didnt have enough threads in the head for a few years.. was pretty crappy for alot of owners, but like you say, all manufacturers have hiccups now and then. The 5.4 was fixed shortly after the problem was identified, but not before tons of them were sold.

I dont have a hate on for Toyota by any means, like I say, alot of guys like them and thats fine man, we like what we like. Call me crazy, but after owning such a bad truck I just wouldn't ever buy another by them. It was a journey outside of my comfort zone that bit me in the ass.

Ya I've heard that a lot about the 6.0. Once they are dialed, the provide great power

and decent fuel economy. If I had a competent buddy who could help me work on one

to bulletproof it, I would get on in a heartbeat!

Edited by NorCal

"Cuz Ford nailed it on on 6.0 PSD's, 5.4 sparkplugs, and 4.0 v6 and it's cracked heads. Once you get aftermarket headgaskets on the 3.0, it's actually a pretty decent motor.

All of the above Ford motors weren't exactly the leaders in power or reliability in their respective classes.

Every manufacturer has some black marks on their record. Nobody is going to make the perfect vehicle, there are tons of statistics and internet crooners willing to battle it out, but I like what I like and respect that not everyone is going to agree and never will. Ive heard all of the comparisons, jokes, insults and it dosent bother me. Its all bias.

I used Fel-Pro the 1st time around on the 3VZE, cracked head. Then i bought Toyota gaskets.. which were surprisingly cheaper, cracked head. I dont think it was a gasket issue personally.. At least not with any of the 3.0's that Ive dealt with. They have all either cracked a head or roasted the gasket by the #6 cylinder, coincidentally next to the crossover. Nobody knows for sure why that motor blows headgaskets and heads.. There are many theories, nothing concrete. I am leaning towards the crossover in the exhaust myself as thats where both heads ultimately cracked, and any other 3.0 Ive had to do as well thats where the gasket was bad, but at this point in the game speculation is a lost cause as more and more of them end up in the scrap yard.

My experience with Honda began in 1981 with my civic wagon then my mom got a 1991 accord, then a 2000 accord, then my wife a 2010 civic and now me with a 1998 civic. For nearly 35 years of owning Honda I've never ever experienced a problem.

So, it's possible that an OEM can make autos even before the early 90s with proven track records. IMO, if an OEM made a bad design even in the 90s then they're capable of doing it again. Add the ford contour 2.5L v6 motor to the list of shitty motors. We had one in our Mazda mpv. No Mazdas for me again.

• Like 1

I had a Chevy with the 5.3, rated at 285 horsepower i believe. It was a great truck; however, it

would drive me insane when driving with 2 bikes in the back. Any amount of head wind it wouldn't

hold 4th gear. It would constantly be hunting between 3rd and 4th... and no the truck wasn't lifted

with huge tires

Interesting. My family has a 03 5.3 suburban, used to tow a lot. Mainly, a large trailer FULL of antiques. It does not have that problem. I'm talking the trailer is packed to like every inch possible. It lost its transmission near 180, which is near where all our Chevy's have. And we tow. A lot. We have had nothing but good luck with Chevy's. Everyone has the brand that fits them I guess.

I'm not a fan of the

Fix

Or

Repair

Daily

Cars.

On the flip side, the other side of my family likes ONLY ford. They have good luck with them, and bad with chevy. Both sides have owned both brands. I believe nowadays, it's pretty hard to make a BAD truck. All the tech that goes into designing them, they can basically run virtual tests to see where failure will happen.

The ford side has also had the spark plug blow out happen. They fixed it, and are still driving it. Seems that ford should have recalled that, but I guess it doesn't always happen.

I personally drive a 95 k1500. The weakest motor year sold, by the way. It's not a bad car at all. That's why a LOT of these year/body style cars are still on the road. Besides a transmission the rest of the car goes 300k no problem. And any part is available within like 20 miles..

• Like 2