Oregon LaDee Flats, Estacada, OR - Thoughts?

Hey guys.  Looking try out some new ground in the PDX area.  Have ridden Hood River, all over Tillamook Forest, and Jones Creek once or twice even.   Is LaDee worth checking out?  And is it open after the fire that happened?

McCubbins was another option, but it looks closed until March 31st. 

Thanks!

-Paul

Drove into ladee flats a while back but haven't ridden there. Tried to find a trail map online but didn't find much. Saw something that said lobos mc had kinda adopted the place Want to ride there, it's close to me ( west linn) It looked like the kind of place that was just open all the time. Didn't see much of an improved staging area. Heard there's some decent stuff there once you find it. I'm grounded till I get a new truck hopefully in the next few weeks but id be down to meet some people up there for a ride this spring.

I've ridden mccubbins. I liked it.

Edited by OCsquid

Most people have a hard time finding the trails. It takes a while. If you just go one day it can be frustrating. You ride and ride and find nothing. Then all the sudden you start seeing them. And then they're everywhere. And you wonder, How did I not see these trails?

I go bc it's close to me. But, honestly, it's not nearly as nice as Tillamook. Not yet anyway. 

Also, I think it's still closed. 

Most people have a hard time finding the trails. It takes a while. If you just go one day it can be frustrating. You ride and ride and find nothing. Then all the sudden you start seeing them. And then they're everywhere. And you wonder, How did I not see these trails?

I go bc it's close to me. But, honestly, it's not nearly as nice as Tillamook. Not yet anyway.

Also, I think it's still closed.

I rode there with a buddy a couple weekends back. It's very much open. We found a total of 3 good trails in the 4 hours we were there. We stayed down low on the mountain and parked just after the pavement ends and probably went 3-4 miles further up the road on the bikes. All of the trails we found were right in that area. We tried going further up, but we weren't seeing anything that wasn't closed with a gnarly tank trap (my buddy was on a quad, so no going around with him).

Maybe you can show me around sometime? I'm in Oregon City, so I'm pretty close to the area.

I rode there with a buddy a couple weekends back. It's very much open. We found a total of 3 good trails in the 4 hours we were there. We stayed down low on the mountain and parked just after the pavement ends and probably went 3-4 miles further up the road on the bikes. All of the trails we found were right in that area. We tried going further up, but we weren't seeing anything that wasn't closed with a gnarly tank trap (my buddy was on a quad, so no going around with him).

Maybe you can show me around sometime? I'm in Oregon City, so I'm pretty close to the area.

You have to go to mile 10. There are trails earlier but they tend to peter out. At mile 10 there's a rock quarry. More trails in that area. Plus a rock quarry with some good jumps and a really fun hill climb. One of those climbs you have to make. If you don't, say good-bye to your plastic piece by piece on the way down. Good fun.

Go again. The place rewards a little exploration. 

I haven't been out there since the summer. Won't be back out for a number of months. 

Edited by portlandtwostroke
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips!   Might hit the Nestucca this weekend instead, but nice to know some inside data for something so close to go run soon.

• Like 1

You have to go to mile 10. There are trails earlier but they tend to peter out. At mile 10 there's a rock quarry. More trails in that area. Plus a rock quarry with some good jumps and a really fun hill climb. One of those climbs you have to make. If you don't, say good-bye to your plastic piece by piece on the way down. Good fun.

Go again. The place rewards a little exploration.

I haven't been out there since the summer. Won't be back out for a number of months.

Okay, I'll go up there next time! That's where we have bon-fires during the summer, and stage at when we go wheeling/shooting. Never noticed any trails around there!

And I know the crazy hill climb you speak of. Watched a guy come super close to rolling his truck when he didn't make it up! And I actually learned how to ride on that little gravel "track" a couple years ago.

Ladee is still closed. Only the logging roads are open. They are working on getting the trails open this spring but work still needs to be done. Stay off the trails for now. By the way- the gravel pits have been really abused lately; tons of garbage and broken bottles. Watch where you ride or your tires will suffer.

Who " works on getting it open" ? Is there like organized clean up work parties there?

Forest service is working on it. I did see a posting that a 4x4 off road group was planning a cleanup event next month. There are probably a few mc clubs working on putting together weekend cleanup events too but the FS wants to remove some trees before they open any trails... at least that is what I heard.

• Like 1

I went there several times last summer. It has been my favorite place to take my nephew. He was 8 then. We would unload at the gravel and ride in about 7 miles to the play area. He loves that place. The upper pit was pretty trashed by the end of the summer. I rode down the hill but not up. We were averaging 50 miles a day by the time we rode out for a break and lunch and back again. not bad for an 8 year old.

We rode a few mild trails and found a horse skull for a trophy.

It seems that Lobos has stopped whatever they were doing I e-mailed them with an offer to help

and got no reply.

A friend of mine with Lobos MC has done a bunch over that way. He lives out in Estacada. Not sure of the trails or the quality there, but I'd be game to check it out sometime with him as a tour guide. I'm sure he'd be down to show a few people around.

McCubbins Gulch is NOT worth the trip. I visited there when I lived on Hood as it was the closest to me, and it was dreadfully boring. Quad track for miles, nothing all that challenging, just miles upon miles of confusing and underwhelming quad track.

Great early season camping though. It's on the dry side of Hood so it's open and better earlier in the year. Great place for total beginners.

Have you gone out to Pinemont? It's a good 16 mile (total guestimate) nearly entirely single track loop. The place is nearly always empty, and man is it some beautiful mountain terrain. Reminds me a lot of Idaho with the mountain fields and what not you go through.

For a real hoot, I hear the hiking trails on the backside are downright amazing. I've never been there though.  :ph34r:

I really want to check out pinemont, let me know next time anyone heads up and I will try to join- I ride a xr250r so the crazier the trail the better, I have sundays off work

Edited by JRM

Pinemont is hardly crazy. Good intermediate level single track. Arguably beginner/intermediate.

I'm busy this weekend. Perhaps the following.

anyone have any recommendation for this area. ride alot of dmill and wanting to establish a local riding area for week days??????  anything helps