Does anyone have any good tips on beds to install in a motovan. I have a standard length e150. I was considering two options so far. The first is to build a box over each wheel well and then have a piece of plywood to bridge the gap and then put an air mattress on top. My second idea was to buy a small cot and mount it against the wall and have it on a hinge to fold down. 

I am looking for ideas to keep the bed elevated so that I do not have to move everything in it to set the air mattress on the floor. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. 

The simple option: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Ridgeline-III-Camp-Bed/17215240I've got one of those in my box trailer that my son sleeps on. In the van, I borrow the sofa sleeper mattress from my couch and throw it in there (it fits perfectly between the wheel wells) but like you said, you'd have to move all your stuff to make it work. There are plenty of classier options, but those work great for me.

I built a fold down bunk in my van, only takes up 3" when up.

20141201_191222-M.jpg

Takes about 10 seconds to put up or down and has a memory foam mattress on it so very comfortable.

20141214_195727-M.jpg

• Like 3

That's awesome pvangel, that's exactly what I'd like in my van.  Just have a $30 cot right now.  :)

Try to find a bed out of a conversion van. I found my on CL for 40$

20131114_155718-Copy2_zpse477a3e9.jpg

20131109_175029_zps6d4442bb.jpg

It folds down with the wall installed and the seats moved all the way forward

20131130_163832_zps70321353.jpg

20131204_134941_zpse22a53df.jpg

On 3/5/2015 at 4:39 PM, pvangel said:

I built a fold down bunk in my van, only takes up 3" when up.

20141201_191222-M.jpg

Takes about 10 seconds to put up or down and has a memory foam mattress on it so very comfortable.

20141214_195727-M.jpg

Yep, necro-post :ride:

Did you purchase the frame somewhere, or is that custom?
I am looking to do basically the same thing, maybe smaller tubing.

I could not find anything online

I built a fold down, it's 75x33". Basically a box with no top. 15/32 osb for bottom, 1x4 side's, dropped in a chunk of dense foam, two fold down 1x4 legs and a piano hinge holds it to the wall. Covered the outside in home depot outdoor carpet.

IMG_4023.JPG

Here's mine. It's basically a do it yourself version of the Outside Van panel bed. It's two pieces, each side rests on strut that I bolted to the wall. I'll cover it with fabric soon. 3/4" ply on strut.

It's quick to pop out, and the pieces can be stored vertically next to the wall or stacked on each other if you're traveling with bikes.

I put a 4" memory foam mattress topper on it, but I'm going to buy an exped double mattress for it. The memory foam is giant.