Husqvarna TE310 or Yamaha TTR230

Hello All,

I'm new to TT, but I've been referencing and reading posts for a few years. I really like the expertise and community on this site and thought it was time to join in.

So I am looking at a Husky TE310 and a Yama TTR230. I am looking at getting back into riding. I know Yamas are great and reliable bikes, that's what I've bought for both my sons; however, I am not very familiar with Husqvarna. I am mostly concerned with reliability, maintenance issues, and quality. Any insights into the build and quality of Husky?

I am not a technical rider, just like to go burn with my brothers and sons. We mostly ride trails, dirt, and desert. Up to this point I've just been using extra bikes, but I'd like to purchase one now so I don't have to borrow any longer. Any feedback on these two models would be helpful.

Thanks,

Utah Danite

Got a Husky TXC310 myself and it has had a handful of problems, but lately all seems well (x fingers).  But it is a much faster better bike performance wise than a TTR.  My opinion you are comparing apples to oranges.  My 310 is fast like a 250 MX bike, not a TTR230.

I'd say the Husky is OK if (and I say if) you get a smoking deal on one.

• Like 1

You are comparing apples and oranges with those two bikes.

if you mostly plan on family trail rides and nothing performance oriented,

it won't be much fun waiting up on kids or slower riders if you are on a much faster race bike.

If you are looking for something very reliable and easy/economical to maintain and ride,

consider either a TT-R 230 or CRF230F

Edited by mlatour

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard any issues with any of the late model Husky's.  You will be best served to go over to Cafe Husky.  Most of the husky guys spend their time there and there is more information than you can handle....

café husky is biased towards huskys. if u want independent thinking then ask me.... I would buy the bike u can get the best dealer support. husky corporate has a history of treating dealers poorly.. maybe the newer ktm owned huskys this has gotten better I dont know...........buy the bike u get best dealer support.  the husky thugs wont like that answer , but its just an Iowan speaking.  ps. I got banned from cafe husky for not being biased towards huskys

• Like 1

Well Husky is now owned and operated by KTM, and new Husqvarnas are basically KTMs with different styling. KTM is trying to kill its riders with a sticky throttle issue that they probably will never care enough about to fix, so I'd go with a Yamaha for that and the reliability. If you want a faster bike with better suspension go for a YZ250FX or WR450.

Several of the guys I race with have a 310 and all liked them until you need spare parts.

I also have a red Husky, pre KTM and as much as I like the bike its a spare.

The ttr is more a play bike than trail bike the two couldn't be furtht apart so comparing them just won't be fair.

Hello All,

I'm new to TT, but I've been referencing and reading posts for a few years. I really like the expertise and community on this site and thought it was time to join in.

So I am looking at a Husky TE310 and a Yama TTR230. I am looking at getting back into riding. I know Yamas are great and reliable bikes, that's what I've bought for both my sons; however, I am not very familiar with Husqvarna. I am mostly concerned with reliability, maintenance issues, and quality. Any insights into the build and quality of Husky?

I am not a technical rider, just like to go burn with my brothers and sons. We mostly ride trails, dirt, and desert. Up to this point I've just been using extra bikes, but I'd like to purchase one now so I don't have to borrow any longer. Any feedback on these two models would be helpful.

Thanks,

Utah Danite

I had a 2009 310.  Great motor and build quality.  Easy bike to go medium pace on.  Pretty heavy for the displacement though, so it works you on long rides.  I sold it because I worried about parts availability and it appears I was at least partly correct on that point.  That said, it rarely had any issues, so keep that in mind.  If you like the 230 and want a little more bike you can probably find a TTR 250 or XR 250 for less than 2K.  I would go that direction before an Italian Husky.  At least if you outgrow the Honda or Yammy, you can sell it for about what you paid. 

Edit: The 2011 and up 310s are a different animal.  Around 20lbs lighter, but from what I can tell a bit more suspect maintenance.  

Edited by Wonderspoon

The 310 was before ktm owned husky, so complete different animal versus say the current 501 and 350.

I have a 2006 husky 610 and it seems solid.... i also bought a 13 husky 511 and its junk , literally . i sold it.  in my opinion husky made good bikes up until about 2008 or 09, (not sure exactly which year. i suspect when bmw bought them out)  husky has changed hands alot ) . then they went downhill quick.  ktm is taking a chance they can bring the name back. i bet ktm bought out husky for pennies.  

Edited by yogavnture