Another CR85/XR100 build

My brother and I are both building one of these. His (h80bens) build is already on here.

My strategy: Let him build first so I have a good understanding of the competition... This has been completed as I have rode the turd. Actually it rips pretty good but I will still refer to it as the turd, maybe even a polished one cause it does look cute.

I am starting with a 2003 CR85RB chassis that is currently in the hands of Adam berg at Settin Trendz for the fab work.

The power plant will be the takegawa 120 kit with the 5 disk clutch and an oil cooler.

Since my mad fabbing skills are limited to cardboard, I thought Adam would be better for the frameImageUploadedByThumper Talk1426127251.529946.jpg

• Like 2

Hahahaha!!!!

Please contact cuttinwood for all your cardboard fab needs! He will fix you right up.

Would you like me to post progress pics of the frame directly here?

• Like 1

So cool!!

You will have to compare The DMC conversion to SettinTrendz, I know DMC does nice work, but Adams conversions are just so tidy and factory looking.

I'm working on my own home brew when I find small amounts of time and I can't wait to ride it. I'm "nearly" done!

Ill do a little step-by-step on the process.

But first... Here she is. This is exactly how it showed up. Amazing with the cardboard, yogurt cups, and packing tape!!!

IMG_6343_zpsczp4kn0v.jpg

Ready to start cutting...

c521abb7-737c-4016-b0c3-fdc0c6b94c09_zps

The first thing we do is to rough-cut all the stuff that's in the way. We start with the cradle.

82edd895-f0a9-49b5-b94c-c91a326bf0c0_zps

And the upper tube gusset.

4c2303e9-ce98-41a0-9969-64d005349c0f_zps

This, along with the cradle goes in the scrap bin.

IMG_6368_zpsmaf7iru4.jpg

These little guys get salvaged. They will be modified and reused for the tank mounts and CDI.

IMG_6369_zpsw9eg1fb9.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the update... Lookin good to me. Let me know if you need any details of my plan that impact your work.

This will be cool, yep a showdown sounds good to me. I might be re-doing my motor then. Cardboard and Yogurt cups, ha ha! That's the stuff amazing builds start with.

So cool!!

You will have to compare The DMC conversion to SettinTrendz, I know DMC does nice work, but Adams conversions are just so tidy and factory looking.

I'm working on my own home brew when I find small amounts of time and I can't wait to ride it. I'm "nearly" done!

got any pics to share? Always fun to look at other builds

This will be cool, yep a showdown sounds good to me. I might be re-doing my motor then. Cardboard and Yogurt cups, ha ha! That's the stuff amazing builds start with.

The yogurt cups, amazing cardboard fab job, and complete roll of tape is what made the shipment successful. I obviously have better plan than you if you're already looking to re-do your motor. sounds like you can already see my amazing build that started with yogurt cups and cardboard is better than yours. Zip the lip and let Adam work his magic.

So cool!!

h80 pointed out you have your build on the forum, I will check it out

Hahahaha!!!!

Please contact cuttinwood for all your cardboard fab needs! He will fix you right up.

Would you like me to post progress pics of the frame directly here?

You bet man, post away...the more h80bens can see the fuller his diaper will get....lmao
  • Like 1

Once we rough-cut the parts and pieces that are in the way and/or unnecessary altogether, we spend a lot of time carefully dressing the leftover areas and metal finishing everything to a smooth, clean surface, ready for modifications.

The last thing needed before the frame goes in the jig is to fill the void on the back side of the downtube where the stamped gusset meets the downtube.

Filler plate cut and formed

8c142f42-5555-4558-a4d5-55e4ccc30650_zps

Tacked in place

IMG_6401_zpsjwrt2lsc.jpg

At this point the frame can be bolted up in the jig, ready to start getting the new tubes and parts.

IMG_6402_zpsr1flzqbb.jpg

IMG_6404_zpspha2zjy4.jpg

IMG_6403_zpsjrmylflp.jpg

First to go in is the new upper tube support

IMG_6405_zpsf2kozdnk.jpg

IMG_6406_zpspdvbe3ls.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good man, going to start ordering parts tonight. Good thing the wife is pre- occupied

Here is what is on order so far.

• Settin Trendz black Frame, exhaust, intake system, and black engine mounting hardware 
  • Takegawa 120cc with Super +R head and SR-25 Cam (not scheduled to ship til 5/18/15)
  • Takegawa 5 disk clutch kit (not scheduled to ship til 5/18/15)
  • Pivot Works bearings for stearing stem, Shock, linkage, and swing arm
  • Renthal 49t rear sprocket
  • 14t xr80 c/s sprocket (testing may change gearing once she's done)
  • 420 130 link gold series chain
  • Settin Trendz rotors

Other decisions are still pending, at least the big ones are made.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1426964267.465044.jpgi got the race shop in the basement in order. I am going to get everything all polished up and ready so I can start assembling when the conversion kit arrives from Settin Trendz.

That might be the best shop set up ever . The moto sport calendar really sets it off. Where's the stickers though?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1426989063.797344.jpgthe stickers haven't found a home yet,still debating between the bench, the Cruze, or my desk chair. Hahaha

That might be the best shop set up ever . The moto sport calendar really sets it off. Where's the stickers though?

may not be the best, but it will be the birthplace of the monster mini that kicks your a$$.
  • Like 1

may not be the best, but it will be the birthplace of the monster mini that kicks your a$$.

Don't mistake the heart from the "like" option, as love for your build. More of smile and shake my head, as in, foo's off his rocker!

Don't mistake the heart from the "like" option, as love for your build. More of smile and shake my head, as in, foo's off his rocker!

H80, why don't you run outside and play a quick game of "stick your head up your butt". Oh wait, I forgot you already played that game right before you started building the turd......hahaha