2015 WR250F gas tank options?

I'll be picking up a 2015 WR250F in April and have been researching how to set it up.  Since I'll be riding it in Baja, a larger tank is a must.  Contacted Clarke, Acerbis, and IMS.  The first two said "maybe in the future" and IMS just released one this month.  https://www.imsproducts.com/News/index.cfm?IDSet=35 I'm not real crazy about their design since it wraps outside of the radiators and looks like it would be exposed to damage in a lay down.  Anybody have experience with a tank of this design?  Maybe it is just wishful thinking that a larger tank could fit inside the frame.  Like in the large space behind the shock res...maybe it's too low in that area?

I thought I remember reading one review of the new bikes a couple of months ago, that was talking about the WR and FX in Canada coming with an optional larger tank.  Any information from our friends north of the border on their new bikes??

I thought I remember reading one review of the new bikes a couple of months ago, that was talking about the WR and FX in Canada coming with an optional larger tank.  Any information from our friends north of the border on their new bikes??

I do believe IMS may be our only option for awhile. My bike was originally part of the "Blue is True" promo for the bonus 11L tank in 2014. Unfortunately Yamaha decided to cancel the promo and credited owners since the product did not meet their expectations. Here is part of the email.

"This is in lieu of the oversized fuel tank that was originally offered on the program which did not meet Yamaha's strict standards."

I believe IMS did their best by designing the tank the way they did. There is little room for gain in the open space below the current tank. Hopefully they will have a Canadian supplier/listing soon for the tank. I will be waiting to purchase one in the meantime.

Edited by YZTwoFiddyFX

He was talking about the Blue Is True program from late 2014 where Yamaha Canada was giving an extra 11L tank with each 2015 WR250f/YZ250FX sold. It was cancelled.

Thanks!  I thought I had read something about a larger tank from Yamaha Canada.  Looks like IMS is the only one available at this time.  Anyone have one yet?  Love to see some pics of one mounted up, and how it works.

Edited by gpm414
  • Like 1

I got a look at Brad Bakkens fx at the first gncc in Florida.They had a tank that was like the os one for the 450 but with clearance for the electronics.Had a bit less capacity versus the 450 tank.

• Like 1

Would be a awesome tank if you could include not only the shrouds but the back half like the MX models. Would make for a 4g tank...

Yeah if you needed that much fuel it would be great!I hope they produce the version on Bakkens bike so it carries the fuel lower but has room for the electronics.

Is the one on Bakkens bike a one-off, or is it actually made by one of the tank manufacturers?

Look on IMS site for 14-15 YZ250F (same tank for 450) it's the one like on Bakkens bike, and is available (275.00) 2.9 gals. I would think it would work on the WR and for sure the FX...?

Look on IMS site for 14-15 YZ250F (same tank for 450) it's the one like on Bakkens bike, and is available (275.00) 2.9 gals. I would think it would work on the WR and for sure the FX...?

No. The battery and such are much larger then the capacitor that is on the YZ450F... See how tight everything fits and molds around the IMS tank...

20150123_142100_zps0jfserkf.jpg

• Like 1

That is not the one that is on Bakkens FX.The one on his bike like mentioned has room for the electronics.Pretty sure it was an IMS as that is what the team uses but I don't know if they plan to produce it.

• Like 1

That is not the one that is on Bakkens FX.The one on his bike like mentioned has room for the electronics.Pretty sure it was an IMS as that is what the team uses but I don't know if they plan to produce it.

Thanks flat4, I'd be interested in the non-shroud tank as well...not crazy about adding width and weight up front.  May just wait on a tank.

• 2 months later...

No. The battery and such are much larger then the capacitor that is on the YZ450F... See how tight everything fits and molds around the IMS tank...

20150123_142100_zps0jfserkf.jpg

What size tank is that? I'm still deciding between the the wr and the fx. Would be nice to get a little extra fuel for my type of riding. Haven't been able to find any pics of actual installs of the oversized tank on 15's

Hopefully the aftermarket tank can accommodate the fuel eating gauge on the WR

Edited by facethenorth

What size tank is that? I'm still deciding between the the wr and the fx. Would be nice to get a little extra fuel for my type of riding. Haven't been able to find any pics of actual installs of the oversized tank on 15's

Hopefully the aftermarket tank can accommodate the fuel eating gauge on the WR

Its a 3g tank. Unfortunately this IMS tank will not fit the WR/FX due to the battery and electronics. IMS does make a 3g tank for the WR/FX but it is part of the shrouds...

Its a 3g tank. Unfortunately this IMS tank will not fit the WR/FX due to the battery and electronics. IMS does make a 3g tank for the WR/FX but it is part of the shrouds...

I saw that on the ims site. I was hoping the smaller 2.5 would fit in the wr/fx. Shroud tanks are ugly. Who knows, they might come up with something.