Any real tuners out there?

10 grand for a dirt bike? umm NO.  Cost for replacement OEM parts, aftermarket parts? ... umm NO.  Feeling comfortable parking it just about anywhere?... umm NO

Horsepower and light weight are really nice but not everything

DRZ400 still gets it for me... Oh and FCR MX carb with ACT wide ratio transmission is pure awesome

Thank you sir. Any issues about throwing the wide ratio kit on a fairly new transmission???

But there aren't. I'm a former S2000 owner (sold it to buy my condo). If an N/A S2k has over 300 on stock internals thats probably the first of its kind. Ive seen 270 Tuned to the limits, and over 300 N/A with a stroker kit. 1000hp is easy with a turbo, but Impossible without boost. 

I was talking about the le mans S2000 with ITB's, I am sure it was forced induction.

Dude you are missing the point "Guy". I simply want to know more about upgrading a Keihin carburetor, and where I can go with it. Obviously I have more faith in the DRZ than you do. Its not about money, it comes down to how we use our hands and brains to make the bike ride better. I would like to modify a 39mm FCR kind of like the guys do on Yamaha Raptors, and Rhinos.......

Insulting Americans is a great start to learning more...

Oh, and it's all about the money regardless of how you want to count it...

I have plenty of faith in DRZs...

Insulting Americans is a great start to learning more...

Oh, and it's all about the money regardless of how you want to count it...

I have plenty of faith in DRZs...

Was not an insult, it was homage to Yoshimura. I do not like being called "guy" and "douche" for being outspoken and having fun with a post. Its all about money, but if I throw a modified FCR and wide ratio gears on the bike, I bet I will be happy with it for years to come. I am a die hard American, and there is no doubt we used to forge the best in the airplane, V-twin, and motor industry. But look at what happened in the past 30 years, Japan has perfected industrial engineering. They are very precise when designing and manufacturing parts. I like how everyone gets their knickers in a bunch about everything I say. I have been a motocrosser for years, i've owned several 11 second bracket racing cars, and have a degree in Earth and Space sciences. I do plenty of research when it comes to buying an item and installing it. That is all this post is dedicated to. What carb has the potential of being the greatest. 

Edited by Zukizuki1988

Zuki. The FCR/Kiehin carbs are made in Japan. Not here by lazy Americans.

PM sent...

Thanks again Jim,

You helped point me in the right direction. I will try publishing a cleaner thread at another time that addresses some really important points you made to me. I will also try talking to the ATV/Quad crowd about further modifications to the Keihin carbs.

For the rest of you. Post your KTM stuff in the bike specific threads. The DRZ is a great bike and I only wish more people from Japan could tell us their take on the some of upgrades out there, especially with how big Supermoto bikes have become in foreign countries. 

Good luck and good by.

LOL trying to make a 15 year old design thats ment for reliablity not racing, compete and beat brand new fuel injected 10k+ race bikes is just stupid. I love my drz but i know no matter how much money i sink into it its still early 2000s technology made in 2013. Like others have said if you want max power go the tried and true way or buy KTM/Husky/Husa. And just FYI majority of your posts come off snobby/know it all which is why your not getting a very warm reception! 

• Like 3

Most of the 'tuning tricks' done to the FCR are those intended for a race engine and typically are an effort to improve one area of engine operation and not a wide spread of RPMs. Common 'tricks' are things like special needles, perforated needle jet emulsion tubes. On a DRZ, 'magic effort' is often a waste of time.

• Like 3

Truthfully dudes. I was typing like a syndicate. I really just couldn't find any information on the Keihin upgrades out there. I shouldn't have approached the thread on the context I did. I do think I am right, next to many other opinions brought up in this thread. Hmmm the bike was made a long time ago, it's dead to us; said no motocrosser ever with a budget.

I could spend money all day and show you a DRZ that spanks other makes. I am approaching this as an enthusiast that wants to get into supermotard racing. I think E cams, yosh exhaust, weight cutting, Fcr upgraded carb, wide ratio gears, gearing, the bike will be a race winner in some lower level classes. Can't wait to get out there and race. I'll learn from my mistakes.

• Like 2

Most of the 'tuning tricks' done to the FCR are those intended for a race engine and typically are an effort to improve one area of engine operation and not a wide spread of RPMs. Common 'tricks' are things like special needles, perforated needle jet emulsion tubes. On a DRZ, 'magic effort' is often a waste of time.

Simple question. The emulsion tube on the Yoshimura MJN carb, is it only effective for mileage, or does it have a consistent throttle response in all ranges??

A perforated tube assist with low end throttle response but does have some negative returns at close to and at WOT.

It is a stock FCR part. Tuners like to tell people it is 'special' because it is not listed as a tuning part in the parts books.

Mileage and power is a function of a properly jetted carb and no 'magic touches' will change them. Massaging can improve response, often at particular throttle positions and often at the expense of quality of operation at other throttle position. Just how an exhaust system works.

• Like 1

Simple question. The emulsion tube on the Yoshimura MJN carb, is it only effective for mileage, or does it have a consistent throttle response in all ranges??

All of the tuning is done via the needle ..It's very hard to control all of the fuel circuits with 1 adjustment....

Great for wot but every else forget it....

Edited by Craigo
  • Like 1