DR-z400 or DR650 for long term overland travel which one & why?

Hello men, boys and sexy wimmen 

We decided to store our Dakar's in Europe for a while and move over to the USA, South America, Canada and Alaska to ride there for 2 or more years. www.pikipiki.co.za

We love to ride these kind of roads. we try and avoid these kind of roads.

So we basically narrowed it down to these 2 bikes. Either the DR-z or the DR650. 

We currently own 2 Drz-400's and they are great bikes but we mainly use them for off road trips in and around South Africa. But friends and experienced fellow travellers advised we must rather consider the Dr650's. Sure some of you have truck loads more knowledge of these bikes that what I have. 

Which of the 2 stock standard with soft pannier frame will carry luggage better without cracking and fall apart? We only carry around 12kg-17kg per bike and try not to overload them, but in the end they need to carry more stuff than what we do on week or 2 week trips. We need reliability over power. But that said the 400 is a newer engine than the 650 and as I understand better suspension.

With normal riding averaging maybe 300km to 500km (310miles)on some days and trying to get 100000km or 120000km (70000miles) out them which of the two will likely make it without breaking the bank on repairs and the least amount of shit? 

The Tenere, XR650, Dakar's and KTM690, 640 we decided to ditch as they weigh too much for shipping, are at least 30kg+ heavier than the Suzuki's and as running cost goes most probably more to maintain. 

Your opinion would be highly appreciated. Michnus

Edited by PikiPiki

Hello men, boys and sexy wimmen 

We decided to store our Dakar's in Europe for a while and move over to the USA, South America, Canada and Alaska to ride there for 2 or more years. www.pikipiki.co.za

We love to ride these kind of roads. we try and avoid these kind of roads.

So we basically narrowed it down to these 2 bikes. Either the DR-z or the DR650. 

We currently own 2 Drz-400's and they are great bikes but we mainly use them for off road trips in and around South Africa. But friends and experienced fellow travellers advised we must rather consider the Dr650's. Sure some of you have truck loads more knowledge of these bikes that what I have. 

Which of the 2 stock standard with soft pannier frame will carry luggage better without cracking and fall apart? We only carry around 12kg-17kg per bike and try not to overload them, but in the end they need to carry more stuff than what we do on week or 2 week trips. We need reliability over power. But that said the 400 is a newer engine than the 650 and as I understand better suspension.

With normal riding averaging maybe 300km to 500km (310miles)on some days and trying to get 100000km or 120000km (70000miles) out them which of the two will likely make it without breaking the bank on repairs and the least amount of shit? 

The Tenere, XR650, Dakar's and KTM690, 640 we decided to ditch as they weigh too much for shipping, are at least 30kg+ heavier than the Suzuki's and as running cost goes most probably more to maintain. 

Your opinion would be highly appreciated. Michnus

My experience is a little off, but I have ridden and driven to Alaska many times. I've owned the DRZ400, and 2 KLR650's. I have a friend with the DR650 who is pretty hard core.

My opinion would be, unless you are doing a lot of tough single track, which seems unlikely, to go with the 650. My KLR is much better for distance, even on very rough dirt roads than the DRZ. The DR is similar.

Check the dirt bike, make model specific forums here, there may be better info.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

My experience is a little off, but I have ridden and driven to Alaska many times. I've owned the DRZ400, and 2 KLR650's. I have a friend with the DR650 who is pretty hard core.

My opinion would be, unless you are doing a lot of tough single track, which seems unlikely, to go with the 650. My KLR is much better for distance, even on very rough dirt roads than the DRZ. The DR is similar.

Check the dirt bike, make model specific forums here, there may be better info.

Good luck and have fun!

Mike

Thank you Mike for the response. The DR650 does look like a better alternative. 

• Like 1

If you aren't going to be doing any tough offroad I would go with the dr650. The drz400 is a good all around bike and will be much better than the 650 on trails as the dr650's have poor suspension, and the 650 will have a bit more power and be better for highway travel

Thank you NorroadsNeeded. I am not sure what to expect, we hope to ride some cool off road tracks. Most probably not the same as what we do here at home, but still nice enough tracks that is made and accessible with a dr650

PikiPiki

AirborneAndy from advrider.com rode his DR650 up to Alaska and back from California, raced it 1000 miles in Baja, then rode to Patagonia and back. So it's a tough bike. 

There's some DRZ on the same site that according to the ride reports have 50000+miles with little maintenance.

My preference would be the DR650 because it's aircooled. You'll never run out opf air, but coolant you can run out oh.

• Like 2

Either bike is good, with the DR having ON road advantage, also roomier for you and luggage. Super strong rear sub frame. But if you do a lot of deep sand, mud or very rocky going then the DRZ is far better. The DR can do it ...and benefits A LOT from a few KEY modifications. Both great and affordable bikes. I've owned BOTH bikes ... now have a DR650 with over 60K MILES on it. So yes, not perfect, but very reliable. Very few spares to carry. Add a nice seat, better suspension and  soft luggage and the DR650 is transformed.

Also ... keep in mind a DR650 is about 60 lbs. lighter weight than your BMW Dakar 650's. This is HUGE when going off road. Very significant.

And Speaking of SEATS ...

DRZ guys .... Can any DRZ guys tell me the BEST aftermarket seat for a DRZ-SM?

I'm doing a project on a friends DRZ SM and she hates the seat. So what are some good options in UsA?

Anyone?

PS: If going to S. America ... buy your DR650's in the USA. Cheaper than S. Africa, save thousands in shipping. You can find a nicely set up USED DR650 with under 10K miles between $3500 to $4500 depending on

year and miles showing and condition. New, around $5,500 usd on the road. I would prefer buying one that has 1. big tank 2. suspension done 3. Seat 4. luggage  5. rear rack  6. bash plate  7.

Best thing about the DR650 is how easy it is to maintain and to work on. DRZ is OK but DR is BETTER!

Edited by 54321
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies and good advice!  We got hold of 2 DR650's in San Antonio belonging to one owner. 2013 and a 2011 models. Low milage. 

54321, we can't buy DR,DRZ, XR or KLR's in South Africa anymore. Our bloody government is going to EU emission standards and therefore all option we had is going for shit. I am thinking taking these bikes back to SA with us when we finish in the next 2 to 3 years.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and good advice!  We got hold of 2 DR650's in San Antonio belonging to one owner. 2013 and a 2011 models. Low milage. 

54321, we can't buy DR,DRZ, XR or KLR's in South Africa anymore. Our bloody government is going to EU emission standards and therefore all option we had is going for shit. I am thinking taking these bikes back to SA with us when we finish in the next 2 to 3 years.

That's great news! If you need help with mods on your "new to you" DR's, come over to the DR Riders forum, WAY better than this spammed out Thumper talk and almost NO ONE here has a clue about

the DR650. The DR Riders forum is ALL DR650 ALL THE TIME. Good resource for everything DR's. (PLUS ONE on taking them home to S.A. ... man, would I love to ride Africa!)

http://drriders.com/

Cheers,

Patrick

Edited by 54321

That's great news! If you need help with mods on your "new to you" DR's, come over to the DR Riders forum, WAY better than this spammed out Thumper talk and almost NO ONE here has a clue about

the DR650. The DR Riders forum is ALL DR650 ALL THE TIME. Good resource for everything DR's. (PLUS ONE on taking them home to S.A. ... man, would I love to ride Africa!)

http://drriders.com/

Cheers,

Patrick

I just register on DRR yesterday. Looks like a really cool forum! There's a load of info I need.  ?

Riding Africa must be on your bucket list for sure! Here's one nice ride we did. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251&highlight=Africa

• 8 years later...