Sign in to follow this  

California Might be moving to CA. Q's about plating my KTM

Might be moving and have a question about getting a plate for my KTM motard. Bike is a 2004 KTM 525 six that's converted to stret. Currently plated and street titled.

How difficult will it be to get a Cali tag. The eight letter of my vin is not a C or an 8

Thanks David

^ so I shouldn't have an issue?

Um….Yeah, you WILL have an issue.

Needs to have over 7500 miles on the odometer and one of our beloved CARB stickers on the frame.

if you bring it in used, it only needs to be 49 state EPA. only new vehicles (i.e. less than 7000 miles) need to be CARB. if it's newer than 2003 and it doesn't have  a "legal for road use" EPA sticker, it might be difficult to get it plated. it can't hurt to try. you will need to register it as a OHV anyway, if you plan to ride in any public off road areas. oh, CARB is (california air resource board). it's special california emission rules that are more strict than federal EPA rules. there are other states that have adopted CARB style rules. so, in order to get a CARB sticker, the manufacturer has to actually make sure it passes the stricter emission rules, i.e. you can't just slap one on. if it's street reigstered in a another state, and used, they might just give you plates.

Edited by cynicryder

Join the Autoclub if your not a member and try them first. Worth a shot.

Join the Autoclub if your not a member and try them first. Worth a shot.

Tried that when I bought a bike from AZ, had to go to dmv, they don't do out of state motorcycles.

Tried that when I bought a bike from AZ, had to go to dmv, they don't do out of state motorcycles.

Already plated bike or dirt bike?

Already plated bike or dirt bike?

Green sticker.  Had to bring it in so they could check vin on bike, also the engine # . Dude gave it the once over, it's a fricken dirt bike WTF.

Green sticker.  Had to bring it in so they could check vin on bike, also the engine # . Dude gave it the once over, it's a fricken dirt bike &%$#@!.

thats the normal drill for out of state vehicles here. they do a vin and engine # check and also look for the EPA label, doesn't matter if it's OHV or not. the engine # has to match the number that's on the title, or it's a lot more paperwork...

Green sticker. Had to bring it in so they could check vin on bike, also the engine # . Dude gave it the once over, it's a fricken dirt bike &%$#@!.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Didn't think they did off road bikes. But a plated, out of state bike might, I say might, be different. Worth a try. "No" is the worse that can happen. ;)

If it's currently registered for on-road use in another state it shouldn't be a problem. Only vin verification needed to register out of state vehicle.

Call a dmv and ask.

If it's currently registered for on-road use in another state it shouldn't be a problem. Only vin verification needed to register out of state vehicle.

Call a dmv and ask.

All depends on who you get at DMV. A 2004 KTM 525 was NEVER street legal in CA. The wrong DMV clerk will know this and not transfer the out of state title... While a different clerk my not care or know and just do the VIN verification and transfer the title.  The bitch I got at DMV not only refused to transfer the title she went into the system and flagged that VIN as "do not title" saying "you will just go to another DMV and try and sneak it thru...". 

All depends on who you get at DMV. A 2004 KTM 525 was NEVER street legal in CA. The wrong DMV clerk will know this and not transfer the out of state title... While a different clerk my not care or know and just do the VIN verification and transfer the title. The bitch I got at DMV not only refused to transfer the title she went into the system and flagged that VIN as "do not title" saying "you will just go to another DMV and try and sneak it thru...".

That's why I suggest trying the Autoclub since its plated. Or a mobile registration person.

The bitch I got at DMV not only refused to transfer the title she went into the system and flagged that VIN as "do not title" saying "you will just go to another DMV and try and sneak it thru...".

Like I said to one DMV drone, "Why do you care? There are bigger fish to fry than someone trying to plate a dirt bike that will be on the pavement less then 100 miles a year!"

The state would have ended up with more of my money every year if they gave me a plate, but nooooooo, plated dirt bikes are melting the polar ice caps and polar bears are dying because of a dirt bike driving on the pavement. It's better to have them on the dirt where our OHV sticker money can be stolen to fund the state General fund, that way polar bears and harbor seals won't die any more.

I spent over 3 hours at a local DMV office getting an out of state ski boat registered, one of the mandatory questions on the application was if it had spark ignition and a spark arrester!!!!! It' a friggin' BOAT!!! They kept running into roadblocks in the process and at one point there were three clerks huddled around one computer and they still could not get it right!!!! GAAAHHH!!!!

Just checked my VIN and I have a three in the eight spot. Believe I'm screwed at this point.

• Like 1

California is a racket. I would have moved to Russia, as they have better fishing, but I was in my 20's. This round of rump ranging should get you used to how California's policies typically work. The state is beautiful, but the voters are morons. Prepare to empty your wallet and watch others have fun with the proceeds. Living in CA: It's sort of like taking complete strangers out to eat at your favorite restaurant with your mouth wired shut.

And they invited all of their relations to get some free food........