Sign in to follow this  

Speedometer drive hub cancelation?

I have a trail tech voyager on my drz and no longer uses the stock speedo drive so I took it off and I had another front wheel spacer that I had laying around so I put it in the place of the speedo drive and fit perfectly I haven't heard of anyone doing this and was just wondering if anyone on here had? Also just wondering if you all think it's safe?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1427061840.252634.jpg

Now the bearing is exposed.  Find something plastic or rubber that fits in hub, then plug with silicone or such.

This is what mine looks like, been this way for years.

1427065015782.jpg

Edited by Throttle5
  • Like 3

Just buy the zeta one on ebay for $20 don't forget to pick up a new seal they don't come with them. I ended up using my OEM seal from the stock Speedo drive.

• Like 1

Just buy the zeta one on ebay for $20 don't forget to pick up a new seal they don't come with them. I ended up using my OEM seal from the stock Speedo drive.

You have a link by chance? Appreciate it.........

• Like 1

Wow, those are awesome.....thanks doc, I still haven't installed my Vapor yet....don't honestly know why, just keep finding other stuff to do, and the weather has been very cooperative, soooooooo

It's on my list.......thanks again bud! :smirk:

• Like 1

Wow, those are awesome.....thanks doc, I still haven't installed my Vapor yet....don't honestly know why, just keep finding other stuff to do, and the weather has been very cooperative, soooooooo

It's on my list.......thanks again bud! :smirk:

the picture on ebay shows 2 pieces but its only one. No seal included

• Like 1

I have a trail tech voyager on my drz and no longer uses the stock speedo drive so I took it off and I had another front wheel spacer that I had laying around so I put it in the place of the speedo drive and fit perfectly I haven't heard of anyone doing this and was just wondering if anyone on here had? Also just wondering if you all think it's safe?attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1427061840.252634.jpg

grease the internals of the stock speedo pickup, and cap where the cable goes. it will protect the bearing.

unless you just want to buy an aftermarket that does the same thing. 

• Like 1

grease the internals of the stock speedo pickup, and cap where the cable goes. it will protect the bearing.

unless you just want to buy an aftermarket that does the same thing. 

That's what I did for years. But I sold the OEM S drive and cable for more then the better looking zeta cost me :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Alright thanks guys I think I'll order the zeta one off eBay and get a seal for it, I've driven the bike like this for 400 miles give or take and i don't think the wheels going anywhere but i find myself wiping the old grease off and regressing a lot out of fear of the bearing going bad so thanks again guys!!

Alright thanks guys I think I'll order the zeta one off eBay and get a seal for it, I've driven the bike like this for 400 miles give or take and i don't think the wheels going anywhere but i find myself wiping the old grease off and regressing a lot out of fear of the bearing going bad so thanks again guys!!

No need to replace the spacer, that works fine. Just get a seal to fit from your local bearing supplier.

• Like 1

The OEM seal and spacer from the other side fit perfectly, that's the way I did it. You don't even really need to buy another spacer, ive seen people melt the speedo drive with a torch and there is a perfectly usable spacer in there.

• Like 3