Sign in to follow this  

Oil problem?

have a 2010 450exc haven't had it very long but did an oil change on it and the level was at the top of the sight glass.

Took it for a good ride and noticed a few times when I stopped it would blow a lot of smoke once I took off ( more than the 2stroje riding with). I went to go up a hill and stopped for about 30sec halfway up the hill to get around another bike then took off and it was blowing a lot of smoke. It also did it when stopped to talk to another rider then went again up a small hill. It would go away after riding abit.

I did notice a small amount of oil on the gearbox out of the breather but thought that was the gearbox vent? So I dropped the oil out into a measuring jug and it only measured just under 500mls. So I put 600ml back in as advised and it was at the top of the sight glass after running for a min, read the manual and it says half to top of sight glass so dropped abit out so its just above half. Do you guys think it was slightly over or do I have a bigger problem? Valve stem seals or something? Any help appreciated.

If the crank case vent goes into the air box area then first make sure it's not blowing oil into your intake. But typically if you get no or little smoke while riding, then a bunch of smoke after idling for a while, that is typical of worn valve stem seals. At idle there is a lot of vacuum on the intake side, and if the stem seals are worn that can suck oil by the seals, then when you take off it gets burned. Check your spark plug, if it's black and wet then that's another sign the oil is getting into the cylinder, as opposed to leaking by the exhaust valve stem seals.

I merged my sumps and use a total of 1600cc oil. Its always above the sight glass and no real issues. As for the vent tube, I just caped off the air box and run it with the carb vent tubes.

Thanks for the help, I did notice a small amount of oil in the airbox so I cleaned it out but couldn't see any in the intake tube, It has no smoke while riding but just did it after I stopped a few times( bike idling or shut off) will check the spark plug and go from there.

Took it for a quick ride today (about half an hr)after dropping the oil level down abit went up an old 4wd track going up a small lookout and no smoke at all. Rode it fast,slow and idled at the bottom and top and no smoke. Maybe the oil level was just slightly over? the other day I rode it up the road to a mates and it didn't do it only when I went on that trail ride?

Took it for a quick ride today (about half an hr)after dropping the oil level down abit went up an old 4wd track going up a small lookout and no smoke at all. Rode it fast,slow and idled at the bottom and top and no smoke. Maybe the oil level was just slightly over? the other day I rode it up the road to a mates and it didn't do it only when I went on that trail ride?

Manual says fill between half way and 3/4 full on the sight glass.. id stay in that range if i were you. The top of the sight glass is still too much

Righto thanks. When I filled it up I started it and it sat for about 10-15 mins I checked it and it was just above half. Thought after sitting for that time it would be right. I then checked it the next day cold and it was at the top of the sight glass. Might drop abit more out and next oil change I'll just measure out the 600ml.