Bought a brand new 2013 KX450F today, recommendations for getting it dialed in

I've been trying to find a 2014 on sale but came across a 2013 that is brand new.  It's 1200 miles away so I'm having it shipped but want to get a jump on things.  I plan to do a mixture of trail riding (not tight technical) and moderate MX tracks.  I'm 41 years old, weigh 195 (trying to get down to `85-190) lbs and am 6' tall and used to ride/race mx and supercross but have been out of riding since destroying my wrist 6 years ago.  I won't be racing so I'm not looking to build a race bike, just something solid to play on now that my 6 y/o boy is getting into riding.

First off, what are some common accessories people are adding to these?  Radiator cages? Frame guard to protect engine?  Stainless oil filter?  Extra air filters?  Are the stock tires good for sandy Florida?  This will be my first EFI bike so that's new to me.

Also, what recommendations do you have for getting the bike setup for my size?  Race sag?  I've got Windham bend protapers, not sure if those or stock bars will be better?  I know nothing about air forks so I'm all ears.  Will I eventually need a revalve or can I make stock suspension work (no more SX whoops for me)?

I literally sold everything after 2 unsuccessful surgeries on my wrist so I'm starting completely over but it's kind of fun getting back into this with my boy.

Thanks so much guys!

Chain sliders, stock ones are horrible. I ended up doing my rollers while I was at it.

Works Connection radiator braces and EZ fill for front air for

New chain: stock ones can break fracturing left crank case. I went with DID gold

I went up a spring rate and set my sag my local suspension shop did it for me so forget the sag # ;/

Dunlop 32s are the shit

Uni air filter

I'm running kawi oil and filters.

Changed radiator fluid to engine ice and put a higher pressure cap on

Up a tooth in rear sprocket.

Lastly MXA has some great articles on the Kx450, that is a list for a 14 that some ppl started me on. I'm sure most if not all crosses over to your '13. Many many more things I want todo just need some more overtime! Cheers.

• Like 1

Buy radiator braces. the plastics/radiator are supported terribly and will twist and at the very least break the plastic in the first decent hit. The stock design is terrible and the vibrations alone will crack the plastic in the thinnest spots on the shrouds.

Invest $60 in Works connection or another brand of bracers to avoid having to spend a couple hundred on fixing twisted up radiators within 8 hours of time on the bike like me.

Buy radiator braces. the plastics/radiator are supported terribly and will twist and at the very least break the plastic in the first decent hit. The stock design is terrible and the vibrations alone will crack the plastic in the thinnest spots on the shrouds.

Invest $60 in Works connection or another brand of bracers to avoid having to spend a couple hundred on fixing twisted up radiators within 8 hours of time on the bike like me.

On a side note if you happen to break or twist a radiator check out Fontana Radiator in Ca. They will straighten and pressure test for around 80 bucks. I have used them a dozen times over the years. Mine bent with the works brace, bent the brace and radiator. Just .02 cents. Cheers.

Also, what comes with a new kx450? The dealer is out of state so it's shipping to me so I want to make sure the dealer sends all the extras? Anything for the air forks such as pump or gauge?

congrats on the new bike. I think you will be very happy with it.

I am a 220 lb. vet A class rider that races mx. I don't run stock 32-35 psi in the forks rather I use 28 psi and do not have a problem with bottoming . at 28 psi the forks feel plush and will not jack up your wrist. try it ,you can always add more air. I use the stock 5.5 spring on the shock and back the rebound out to 24, sag at 105mm.

Thanks guys!  So WC radiator braces as opposed to their radiator cages (I think they are $10 more)?  

Is this DID gold chain a good one?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DID-D-I-D-DZ-2-520-120-LINK-GOLD-MOTOCROSS-CHAIN-RM-Z-YZ-SX-F-KXF-450-250-D-I-D-/141160305859?fits=Model%3AKX450F&hash=item20ddcf54c3&vxp=mtr

What engine oil is best?  I used to use Amsoil in my YZ450

Does anyone use a stainless oil filter as opposed to disposable?  I think it was a scotts that I used on my YZ

Best air filter oil?  

Thanks!

check out my bike under the topic kx450f xc  i run dunlop 32 or 52 depends  devol radiator guards tm chain slide guide and skidplate (works fantastic ) ims 3,4 gallon gastank, did chain and renthal sprockets (geared between 14/50 and 14/52 ) ZAP handlebar and wheels and brakeline mount, X-trig triple (21 or 23mm offset ) and finally acerbis x-seat 

i would also recommend ez fill makes it a lot easier to check frontfork pressure ,good luck with your new bike

Thanks for all you helping me get me questions answered.

One big question I have right now is regarding the fork seals.  I've read a few people recommend replacing the OEM seals with SKF seals.  My question is if this is something I should do from day one since this 2013 is new, but has sat for a couple years.  Would that cause the seals to be more likely to leak?  I've read threads of guys mentioning their seals leaking after just a few hours but didn't know if that was common or extremely rare.

I've searched the KX forums and Youtube and didn't see a tutorial on replacing the KYB seals but I did find this one the Showa SFF forks.  

Is the process basically identical?  I'll probably buy some SKF seals to have on hand and then ride it a bit until I see signs of leakage.  These air forks just have me concerned as I'm new to them and don't want to have a failure while I'm in the middle of nowhere.  The fact that Kawi switched to Showa after just 2 years isn't comforting.

congrats on the new bike. I think you will be very happy with it.I am a 220 lb. vet A class rider that races mx. I don't run stock 32-35 psi in the forks rather I use 28 psi and do not have a problem with bottoming . at 28 psi the forks feel plush and will not jack up your wrist. try it ,you can always add more air. I use the stock 5.5 spring on the shock and back the rebound out to 24, sag at 105mm.

28 psi? Wow...I run 32 even for my 130 lb. Kid....he says it feels stiffer with lower air psi...I'm thinking you may have had it revalved?

No my forks are still bone stock. I am planning on having them revalved  by Enzo when I get some downtime. I have only logged about five hours on this bike, I got in in December of last year when Kawasaki had the big rebate. I'm not saying these forks are good at 28 psi ,just not the jack hammers they were at 34 psi. I was trying to get the same feel as my yamaha yz 450 forks had. The kx 450 forks need less low speed compression and a lower oil level to make the higher psi settings work, much the same problem as the new 2015 Honda 450 forks. just changing to 2.5 wt. oil helps. I second the suggestion about the over sized front rotor. one of the first mods I made . i'm using the 280 mm ebc. 

has anyone else noticed the shock linkage rubs due to lack of clearance and causes drag?

Chain sliders, stock ones are horrible. I ended up doing my rollers while I was at it.

Hmmm. My stock chain slider lasted 60 hours.Replaced it with an acerbis slider but the stocker could have gone longer.

I agree about the rollers though. 

The chain guide is horrible too as mine barely lasted 20 hours. I replaced it with an acerbis that is still going strong at 100 hrs now. 

Edited by skthom2320

• 2 weeks later...

The bike arrived but the shop didn't send the schrader valve adaptor for the forks so I can't check or add pressure with my pump. Is there anything local (maybe a hardware or bike shop) I can use until the dealer gets a new one shipped from Kawasaki? I can ride but have no idea what pressure is in there.

The bike arrived but the shop didn't send the schrader valve adaptor for the forks so I can't check or add pressure with my pump. Is there anything local (maybe a hardware or bike shop) I can use until the dealer gets a new one shipped from Kawasaki? I can ride but have no idea what pressure is in there.

is there a shop close to you that may have the works connection adapters? you will end up buying some anyhow as that adapter is a pain to deal with... 

Well, I was planning on going with the splitstream kit but it uses the oem adaptor core so I'm going to have to get one.  Just wanting to ride in the mean time and would like to have a clue what my air pressure is at.

Did you figure out the fork seals? SKF is the way to go with these, I blew the OEM seals within 4 hours of being brand new. They're real to work on too, they come apart just like spring forks for the most part, just with no springs obviously.

If you haven't checked out SDI mid-valves they're a good upgrade to the valving.