Cold start cr250

I bout a 97 cr250 in great shape but I can not get it to start. The guy I bought it off of started it pretty easy and my friend can but he rode 450s so any tips

I bought 97 cr250 in great shape but I can not get it to start. The guy I bought it off of started it pretty easy and my friend can but he rode 450s so any tips

Something I've noticed that helps it start is when you put it in gear and rock it back and forth. It pulls fuel into the cylinder and will help it start. Put it back in neutral and it should start within a few kicks. Also, you wanna kick it hard. Don't try and kick it a whole bunch of times really fast. Just focus on giving it a hard kick.

Edited by Spyder328

If its the stock carb, and you are in PA where its probably cold today/yesterday, they are a bear to start (the 97) when its cold out.  

I would follow the above advice and if possible put it near a heater for a little.  Plus if you just got it, drain it and put fresh premix in it.

The previous owner probably had it running before you got there.  You should always feel the motor to see if its warm when you get there.  If so they are usually hiding a hard to start bike.

Roll the motor over until the top of the compression stroke, return the kicker to the top and kick it from that point.. Gotta give them a healthy boot..

The motor was cold when I got there I clean the carb that was the problem haha jets were clogged