Sign in to follow this  

would you buy a 2012 demo 520 rs?

Thinking about stepping up from my 03 WR250F. The demo only has 840 miles on it. Anything in particular to look for? Thanks!

Thinking about stepping up from my 03 WR250F. The demo only has 840 miles on it. Anything in particular to look for? Thanks!

A good price?

A three year old bike, what kind of updates have been done, suspension, decompression mod? 

Bone stock, never been sold/registered. They're asking 7k, but probably some wiggle room.

Tell them to come up with a real price 3 year old bike hasen't been registered, so what its got 840 miles. Don't let them fool ya its a unsold used bike thats 3 years old and  and you can be guaranteed it wasn't broke in very nice. Tell them 5 grand and go from there not to far from there tho.Good luck!

• Like 1

Tell them to come up with a real price 3 year old bike hasen't been registered, so what its got 840 miles. Don't let them fool ya its a unsold used bike thats 3 years old and  and you can be guaranteed it wasn't broke in very nice. Tell them 5 grand and go from there not to far from there tho.Good luck!

Totally agree. $5k max.

• Like 1

Totally agree. $5k max.

Not a penny more for any reason! No telling how many crazed db'rs have been on that bike with zero regard for its well being. Personally I wouldn't touch a three year old demo bike.

• Like 2

I bet it's mostly all city road/parking lot miles. Unless it was demo'ed on the limiter it should be as new. Last time I was there they had several left overs and asking a couple of hundred off MSRP.

Bone stock, never been sold/registered. They're asking 7k, but probably some wiggle room

Once it leaves the lot, it's a three + year old bike. Spend your money wisely.

• Like 1

KBB book is $6100, this should still have a warranty. $5000 is unreasonably low. $7000 is a asking, negotiation price.

Using this same example toward a used bike trade-in, would you honor KBB price at $4200 or would you give him $3000 because you have to make money?? I haven't met a dealer that does. Trade-in at $3000, price at $6100 and sell at $5000 is the real world here except for this dealer which is always at top end pricing. Since Beta's are still a small exotic brand they don't hold value in this area as a 4t. Percentage wise Beta 2t loose about 1/2 of what a 4t does.

Using this same example toward a used bike trade-in, would you honor KBB price at $4200 or would you give him $3000 because you have to make money?? I haven't met a dealer that does. Trade-in at $3000, price at $6100 and sell at $5000 is the real world here except for this dealer which is always at top end pricing. Since Beta's are still a small exotic brand they don't hold value in this area as a 4t. Percentage wise Beta 2t loose about 1/2 of what a 4t does.

Yeah I most likely would "honor" the $4200 trade-in off of list on the new bike. You also have to take into consideration the condition of the trade-in of course. A 2012 street legal dualsport 520 is worth more than $3000. It's unreasonable for people to sit at there computer never having seen a particular motorcycle and tell someone else what it is worth. It's a popular concept today to hate the dealer for attempting to make a profit.

Not hating a dealer for making a profit but like the rest here assume (I was there back in January and it was one of the bikes I seen) it's in good condition.  $4200 off a list ($9500) on a new bike is what $3000, numbers game is all it is. As many others posted overpriced and this is the reason it hasn't sold in 3 years.

Not2, I wanted to chime in here for a couple of reasons. I owned an 03 WR426 and I recently bought a 2012 450RR. Trouble with finding a used beta for me was the closest one I found was a six hour drive away. I ended up with one that had less almost 2700 miles and 120 hours and drove 9 hours to get it 9 to get home.I got a good price on the bike but how much is my time worth? Time is money and I bet there are not a lot of used 520's out there for sale.Look on line and see what people are asking for them. 

Ultimately the bike you are looking at is worth what you are willing to pay and what the dealer is willing to sell it for. I think people here have given you a good range and often they beat up on the dealers. I have no problem with dealers, just like people there are good and bad ones. Personally I think the $7K is high, KBB is a baseline. Maybe you can negotiate from there and either get a better price and let the dealer sell you some after market goodies or offer them a good price and have them throw in goodies. Part of your equation should be a value on service, ie get a warranty and will they be there for you when you need them. Most successful dealers sell bikes just above cost and make up for it on soft goods, add on products, and service. 

I wouldn't worry about the bike being a demo unless it has new plastics, (because the bike was not taken care of) does it look like it has been ridden hard and put away wet? Most people demoing bikes don't ride them as hard as any of the guys I ride with any given Sunday. Check leaking seals, look at the air box and filter, have tires been replaced, brake pad wear, how often has oil been changed, etc. If you buy it have all fluids replaced. Battery  

Lastly this. If you buy the bike I am certain you will love it. With that said unless you purchase it for trade in value, as soon as you drive it off the lot it too will drop in value so plan on keeping it for awhile. Good luck. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply taosX5. You're right, there are very few betas for sale.

This one has the original plastics; some scuffs and a little decal peeling. No scratches on the frame, a few on the muffler and the throttle grip has a small tear where it was obviously dropped. It still looks pretty good for a 2012. It has a mt43 front tire and a IRC rear. I'm sure they did that for people doing mostly street demos. I'd change the tires anyway.

I didn't test ride it yet, wanted to think it over for a while. If I do buy it I plan on keeping it for a long time. I'm 57 now and this would probably be my last hurrah, so to speak. I like the reports of the durability of betas and it sounds like less of a maintenance whore. It'll definitely be better on the road than the WR. I may go ride it after work. If it is still covered by warranty, that would be a big plus. I just don't think they'll come down much though. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the reply taosX5. You're right, there are very few betas for sale.

This one has the original plastics; some scuffs and a little decal peeling. No scratches on the frame, a few on the muffler and the throttle grip has a small tear where it was obviously dropped. It still looks pretty good for a 2012. It has a mt43 front tire and a IRC rear. I'm sure they did that for people doing mostly street demos. I'd change the tires anyway.

I didn't test ride it yet, wanted to think it over for a while. If I do buy it I plan on keeping it for a long time. I'm 57 now and this would probably be my last hurrah, so to speak. I like the reports of the durability of betas and it sounds like less of a maintenance whore. It'll definitely be better on the road than the WR. I may go ride it after work. If it is still covered by warranty, that would be a big plus. I just don't think they'll come down much though. Decisions, decisions.

First, let me dispel the last hurrah thing. I'm on my third new bike since the 57 mark and I ride a new bike for five years or more. I concur with taos, but if you were to pay asking price I would sure press for new grips and tires - it sure wouldn't hurt. The dealer is probably losing money at this price; but sitting on the floor he is losing even more, after all he most likely had it on a flooring plan at some point and was paying just to keep it in stock.

• Like 1

Not hating a dealer for making a profit but like the rest here assume (I was there back in January and it was one of the bikes I seen) it's in good condition.  $4200 off a list ($9500) on a new bike is what $3000, numbers game is all it is. As many others posted overpriced and this is the reason it hasn't sold in 3 years.

Yep. Many dealers are great as enthusiasts but  mediocre as businessmen. A dealer keeping a bike on the floor for three years is missing the boat.

• Like 2