Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket 2010klr650

I need higher gearing for the high way .

I have changed my front sprocket to a 15 t. But this is as big as I can go with my housing .

What can I do with the rear ?????

What size to give me more top end .

Can any one help . At the moment it is sitting on about 4200 rpm at 100km I would like to get it down to 3500 rpm can any one advise on this .

The problem is that the KLR isn't a very powerful engine so you will find that lowering the gearing will drop the torque and require running in 4th gear before the gearing moves very far,

• Like 1

The problem is that the KLR isn't a very powerful engine so you will find that lowering the gearing will drop the torque and require running in 4th gear before the gearing moves very far,

Found that out on a '07 riding into what I guess to be a 40-50 MPH headwind. Stock gearing, like 5-10 MPH faster in fourth than fifth. Still only like 55 MPH. Only time got less than 30 MPG.

Mike

whuuuuuuuuuuuutttttt??????????

I run a 16 countershaft sprocket all the time.... there are guys that run 17 (but its tight & you have to move stuff). the stock rear cog is 43. I have run 13 through 16 on the front and 43 & 45 on the rear.... all fit with the stock 106 link chain.

leave the back alone, put a 16 up front... it knocks off about 500 rpm

a stock klr should be able to pull the 16/43 at 70 mph all day. I have a friend that weighs 260 (he's 6'5") & he packs more gear than me (50lbs or so) but can keep up that pace on a bike thats stock except for the 22 ct mod

yes, a 40mph headwind will slow you down & eat more fuel

do the 685 & a few other bits & you'll not miss the 15 in the dirt either

Beezerboy

You are telling me that a 16 t front sprocket will fit my 2010 klr ???

The 15t has only mm of play

I am assuming now that the 16t

Is the same size but with an extra tooth is this correct??? And if so what brand ???

It can't be the same diameter and have an extra tooth. To run a 16 you will have to run it without the sprocket guard, as everyone does.

• Like 1

ah fook.... you have a Gen II.... sorry, I don't know them well, but the engine is almost identical... is the gaurd different? hard to imagine Kawi changed that

I think if I fabricated a new Guard I would get the 16t on her

It look to be the problem