Rekluse

What's your guy's feeling's on the Rekluse? I'm thinking I'm going to buy one.

There have been 1997 threads on this in the past month or 2.  Some good info in those threads on the glorified, overpriced mini-bike clutch. ;)

Some good info in those threads on the glorified, overpriced mini-bike clutch. ;)

We report....You decide

You will get positive comments from those that use them & negative comments from those that refuse to use them

Hope that helps

You will get positive comments from those that use them & negative comments from those that refuse to use them

Hope that helps

...or those that tried them and found them unnecessary...

I have the Z-start pro on a CR250. It’s set to fully engage immediately off idle. I’m pushing 60 years old & I ride some very tight steep single track in the mountains and many times venture out into open woods to explore.

I use the clutch as normal but I find the Rekluse handy at times due to some precarious situations I sometimes find myself in. The bike won’t stall so if I’m already tired I don’t have to kick the bike over and I can easily walk it to manageable terrain if I need to.

Some may think it’s unnecessary and I’m sure it would be for them but no one knows your particular situation better than you

Edited by AXAxiom

The plus it works, and works very well, the bad is people cannot afford them so they talk shit about the not being necessary

I'm in

If you suck, they will help you a lot. If you don't suck, the difference will be negligible.

Edited by Wild Alaskan

I have the Z-start pro on a CR250. It’s set to fully engage immediately off idle. I’m pushing 60 years old & I ride some very tight steep single track in the mountains and many times venture out into open woods to explore.

I use the clutch as normal but I find the Rekluse handy at times due to some precarious situations I sometimes find myself in. The bike won’t stall so if I’m already tired I don’t have to kick the bike over and I can easily walk it to manageable terrain if I need to.

Some may think it’s unnecessary and I’m sure it would be for them but no one knows your particular situation better than you

I agree and will add that it really depends on where you ride, the bike, and what you want.

Not needing to restart a stalled engine saves body energy on long rides.

I also have a 2T Trials bike and I'm content with its manual clutch.

I have a CRF250X and I like the Rekluse but I had to set it up for early lockup.

Because the Rekluse affects how an engine delivers power there is an adjustment period for the rider.

Also if you want to develop good clutch skillz and have a bit more control, don't get a rekluse

I have a exp 2.0 - really feels like a stock clutch with a slightly harder pull. I just clutch like I would normally do, just helps against the flame outs in the really technical stuff. If you're not rock hoping, log jumping and the sort of stuff I don't think they're totally necessary.

One piece of advice, I'd make sure you go for the 3.0. They made the change from the 2.0 to the 3.0 pretty quick, mine has been slipping a bit lately and they may have cured that with the 3.0.

You can change out the plate in your 2.0 to the 3.0, it's simple.

I should add that in my opinion there are two types of clutch users; the first group is composed of heavy clutch users like Trials riders, off road competitors, and technical single track riders. The second group is everyone else.

For the Trials riders an autoclutch doesn't make sense because it doesn't allow enough control of power delivery.  For the others things happen fast and an autoclutch provides backup stall protection. If I were still competing off road I would want an autoclutch because even the time lost using estart could change your standing at the finish.

Rekluse is just another technology to help our ride like; disc brakes, cartridge forks, linkage, steering dampers, long travel, GPS, etc. So for those who whine about Rekluse please tell us what other technology do you want to give up so your bike is more pure.

Edited by Chuck.

I was on a grueling nasty trail ride once and kept stalling my hot mx bike with a way to tall first gear. Was so freaking tired of trying to start that pos I decided to buy a rekluse Wow I love it when my bike doesn't stall when I make a mistake. So much easier to keep going and save energy in tight nasty stuff. I bought a used older one off a guy cheap to try it out. The clutch pull is weird but not a big deal. The only thing I worry about is if I dump it and the throttle gets held open with my head or something in the wheel and my face gets roosted off cause the bike won't stall easy. Lol or on a couple occasions I've whiskey throttled it on accident forgetting I was sitting in gear. If I only rode desert I wouldn't buy one but muddy rocky trails it's really nice IMO

I was on a grueling nasty trail ride once and kept stalling my hot mx bike with a way to tall first gear. Was so freaking tired of trying to start that pos I decided to buy a rekluse Wow I love it when my bike doesn't stall when I make a mistake. So much easier to keep going and save energy in tight nasty stuff. I bought a used older one off a guy cheap to try it out. The clutch pull is weird but not a big deal. The only thing I worry about is if I dump it and the throttle gets held open with my head or something in the wheel and my face gets roosted off cause the bike won't stall easy. Lol or on a couple occasions I've whiskey throttled it on accident forgetting I was sitting in gear. If I only rode desert I wouldn't buy one but muddy rocky trails it's really nice IMO

I remember when I installed mine the night before a Hare scramble race, sitting on the line all relaxed and decided to blip the throttle thinking I was in neutral...........

If you have great clutch skills you can still benefit from a rekluse. Like I said, people that bitch about them can't afford them. Rekluse works the clutch better than the best person without one...that is a fact. With the rekluse you can still use your clutch like you always do, with zero ill affects

Rekluse is just another technology to help our ride like; disc brakes, cartridge forks, linkage, steering dampers, long travel, GPS, etc. So for those who whine about Rekluse please tell us what other technology do you want to give up so your bike is more pure.

Don't care if someone wants to use a Rekluse or not, but your argument is fallacious. 

Can't remember a time my disc brakes did the braking for me, or a steering damper did the steering for anyone... That's the nuance that people miss. An AUTO clutch, by definition, does your left hands job for it, AUTOMATICALLY. 

Sure, you can set it up with the ability to use it manually, but when your skill falls short the Rekluse AUTOMATICALLY kicks in and does its part, saving you the penalty of your mistake. I’ve had several people on the trail tell me “I’ve got xyz Rekluse set to engage at XYZ time and I’ve got the clutch lever right here and still use it just like a regular clutch so it’s not holding me back!” Haven’t seen it work out that way yet though, because when the mess up while trying to use that manual override, the Rekluse still saves them, and I’ve seen their performance on the same trail section with a non-Rekluse bike.

Product works great, I don’t think anyone would contest that. And yes I can afford one, or two, or three. Never understood that argument. "If you don't like what I like, you must not be able to afford it." Logical. 

So it's all about priorities;

Want to make the ride easier? Want to limit the risk of stalling on a technical climb? Want to save yourself having to kick the bike over after dumping it? Get a Rekluse, ride and be happy. 

Want to improve your clutch skills? Want to relish in the exhausting challenge that is offroad motorcycle riding? Want that instant feedback from the bike letting you know you screwed up in modulating power with the clutch (cornering/climbing etc)? Want to pay the price for your mistake and for improvement? Don't get a Rekluse, ride and be happy. 

Edited by Kenpo1

False, you cannot afford it...

I was on a grueling nasty trail ride once and kept stalling my hot mx bike with a way to tall first gear. Was so freaking tired of trying to start that pos I decided to buy a rekluse Wow I love it when my bike doesn't stall when I make a mistake. 

Which is why I think it's about priorities and personality. Your explanation above, of why you are glad you got one, is EXACTLY the reason I don't want one. Guess that's what makes the world go round. 

I've ridden quite a few bikes now with them, and think they are a neat design and they work as advertised, but I want my bike to stall when I mess up, because I love it when, half a season latter, I clear that same section of trail that I couldn't before, and I know that's because I've gotten better. Nothing auto robbed me of that progression, and it was hard as hell to get there.