Affordable Decent Quality Riding Boots

Anyone have any good boot recommendations?  I've been reading a lot of info about the importance of riding boots recently.  I usually ride with work boots and both my brother and I have had ankle scrapes and stuff from dumping bikes.  I'm not to keen on the idea of waiting for a worse ankle injury.  Do riding boots really help a lot and if so are there any pretty cheap ones that'll get the job done?

Thanks.

What's your price range? Without my boots during one crash I would've had it amputated.

Edited by High Society

I've always worn Gaerne SG10's. Yes they are a bit expensive. But in my book they are worth way more. I've taken some landings in them that should have put me in a boo-boo wagon ( ambulance).

Yeah I'm looking to keep my feet for the next few years at least.  I'm not too familiar with boots but it looks like prices are around 100$ or upwards of 3 or 4 hundred.  I'd prefer to keep it around or below 100.

And c_tanner yeah those are a little pricey.  I have a DRZ400s so I'm not doing jumps or anything.  Mostly trail riding where I hit a log sideways and dump it or something.  Maybe a slide out in a muddy corner or something or a tree.

Edited by Daac222

I understand what your saying. I wouldn't totally cheap out on them, I've had some buddy's buy really cheap boots and hate them because they were so uncomfortable. Try to find some mid priced boots.

even a 100$ boot is better then nothing. i have a pair of O'neal elements and their not that bad, ive had them for over a year and their still in great shape. they cost me about 110$.  my last pair of boots were Astairs tech 6 which were a 250$ midgrade boot  and they were 100% better then what i have now. so spend as much money as you can.

Edited by elrontx

Maybe look on Craigslist. A used good boot will be better than a cheap new boot.

ive used fly mavericks and Oneal elements (about $120 range) I would buy the mavericks again. One of my Oneals  was basically defective and the toe compartment on the left side came partially collapsed from the factory making them uncomfortable, the soles are also starting to fall off after about a year of use. Could usually get 2 years out of the Mavericks.

Oneal's new "RIDE" boot seems pretty decent, there are also the MSR VX1 boots, about the same boot really. I would spend $350 on SG10s though. Just from experience, if you wear out a cheap set of boots, because of quality, every other year, you will have paid for a set of SGs that will last for 5 years easy, are more comfortable, give you the hinged ankles and awesome liner.....and feel broken in after your first 30 minutes...

the thing is, as soon as you get your feet in boots, you will feel more confident, and you will get faster. Then you will want better boots...

Personally, I think newer riders need better boots. They gotta learning curve to get up

I would 2nd the used boot suggestion. I picked up a pair of Hi-Point's for $100.00 . Old school, yes, but do the job.  Personally, I would up your price range a little and go after the best out there. Used of coarse. I recently got a pair of Gearne SG12's for $200.00.

Once you start riding in proper boots (even if they are inexpensive) you'll feel naked on the bike without them. That says a lot about how imprtant they are.

To the OP, you can start out in cheap boots for $100 but you are a lot better off raising your sights to the $200 or higher range. They will be much more comfortable and last much longer. A good quality Italian boot like the GX-1 from Gaerne can be found for $175 or so online, brand new.

Thanks guys. Yeah I'll look around for something used. Is that gx1 pretty decent and will it last?

Thanks guys. Yeah I'll look around for something used. Is that gx1 pretty decent and will it last?

that GX-1 is probably your best bang for the buck.  Look around, should be able to find a good deal

ive used fly mavericks and Oneal elements (about $120 range) I would buy the mavericks again. One of my Oneals  was basically defective and the toe compartment on the left side came partially collapsed from the factory making them uncomfortable, the soles are also starting to fall off after about a year of use. Could usually get 2 years out of the Mavericks.

Yep, I needed new boots last year, didn't want to spend the usual hundreds, tried a pair of Fly Mavericks.  One of the most comfortable boots I've worn once they broke in, seem durable enough, and only $100.

Might look into the alpinestar tech 3s. :thumbsup:

Ok thanks.  I found some tech 3's for pretty cheap on eBay.  Still some time left on the bidding so it could go up.  I know you should drop a size in Gaerne's, should I do the same for other boots?

I know you should drop a size in Gaerne's, should I do the same for other boots?

Gaerne's are more true to size than other boots, if you have wide feet, order your shoe size, only drop a size (if you dare) for narrow feet. I find that most of the cheaper boots require a size up to fit properly....But then again, I have wide feet.

Hard to beat these for quality to cost. Really like mine so far and they're well worth the difference over the cheaper boots I destroyed last year.

TCX 2.1 for $300.

http://shanewatts.com/store-3/#!/TCX-Pro-2-1-Offroad-Riding-Boot-available-only-for-Shipping-in-the-United-States/p/30667665/category=7194241

I have the Fly version of these boots and I am very happy with them. Good comfy boots. Been wearing tech 8's for years and wanted to try something else but still have a bootie. Not that many boots with booties so I gave these a try Edited by pre-mixed