IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Just turned 50 getting back into riding, need bike advice.

I am having my midlife crisis.I rode dirtbikes from 10 years old until I was 30. Now I am 50. I weight 250 and I always wanted to race hare scrambles or enduros.My favorite bike was a kdx 200.  My least favorite was a Service Honda cr500...it was a beast. If I get to do some races I want to finish...don't care about winning.  Help me spend some money what would you get? I have a thing for 200's but I may be to big.  I really like the KTMs. I never left bikes I just have been riding HDs for the last few years.

Well if your looking for a new bike the 2 stroke offroad market is limited basically to ktm. However if you dont mind the learning curve of maintaining a fourstroke the new yz 250fx looks pretty interesting. Very hairscramble race oriented. 18" rear wheel, 6 speed gearbox and electric start. Seems like a great bike to me, and its hard to beat yamaha reliability.

• Like 2

KLX450R....You'll love it. Plenty of controlled torque and control. 4-stroke all the way mate.

Well if your looking for a new bike the 2 stroke offroad market is limited basically to ktm.

GASGAS, Sherco, BETA ...

All make highly regarded off-road/enduro 2-strokes

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I would look at the YZ250FX as well. Yamaha really outdid themselves with that bike, after 2 minutes in the woods riding my buddy's new FX i knew I have to have one. I just need to convince my wife that I need it too... Haha

• Like 1

I am having my midlife crisis.I rode dirtbikes from 10 years old until I was 30. Now I am 50. I weight 250 and I always wanted to race hare scrambles or enduros.My favorite bike was a kdx 200.  My least favorite was a Service Honda cr500...it was a beast. If I get to do some races I want to finish...don't care about winning.  Help me spend some money what would you get? I have a thing for 200's but I may be to big.  I really like the KTMs. I never left bikes I just have been riding HDs for the last few years.

Do you want to spend $1000 or $15000?

Pretty difficult to recommend anything at all until we know your price range.

• Like 1

Do you want to spend $1000 or $15000?

Pretty difficult to recommend anything at all until we know your price range.

My budget is $10000

• Like 1

I like the idea of the yam wr250f the ktm 200 or 300..  I  have set aside $10000 for this adventure. Am I too big for a 200?  My old kdx200 was the best bike I ever had.

^^^^ for woods riding, you will be just fine. The only thing you may need to do is a spring change eventually.

• Like 1

My budget is $10000

You have a nice buget to work with. Now to decide whether 2 or 4 stroke.

If two stroke, the KTM 200XC is a good choice for faster trails or if more technical then the 200XC-W. Both are similar to but much better bikes than the KDX.

The major advantages of two stroke over four is lower center of gravity, harder to stall and mechanically simpler. Four stroke bikes have more linear power and don't need the hassle of mixing gas. The WR250F or the new YZ250FX both from Yamaha are strong choices. I'd personally go with the FX of the two.

I ride the 2015 Beta 300RR which compares to the KTM 300XC. If Beta made a 200 of this bike I'd recommend it for you.

Before any add-ons,

don't forget to consider the cost of quality safety gear (helmet, boots, pads etc.)

and some maintenance equipement (spare air filter, cables, levers etc.)

all of which will add up quickly to the overall budget.

• Like 1

Before any add-ons,

don't forget to consider the cost of quality safety gear (helmet, boots, pads etc.)

and some maintenance equipement (spare air filter, cables, levers etc.)

all of which will add up quickly to the overall budget.

I have allowed $2000 for equipment I addition to the $10000 budget for the bike.

• Like 3

What about add on like a Reckluse clutch, and Flex bars....any opinioins?

As far as the Rekluse or Flexx bars, those items are 'crutches' that you may or not need. Guys who experience arm or wrist pain seem to love Flexx bars. Guys who stall a lot love the Rekluse.

The same goes for higher-end guarding of the bike. For example, I have a Force pipe guard bash plate as well as a carbon fiber pipe guard underneath. I have a slave cylinder guard, rotor guards and lots of other little pieces that look like bling but are all there to keep me from damaging expensive parts or walking to the truck. I have found that lots and lots of guards save me lots and lots of aggravation.

Your area may be more forgiving to the bike or you may ride more gently. If I rode groomed trails or desert conditions I'd have a lot less of it, guards add weight.

Other than a set of full wrap handguards most enduro bikes come well set up enough for many riders. You may or may not want to add some of the high ticket items later but it takes some seat time to decide which.

I am waiting right now for an item called the Clake Two that places clutch and rear brake control together at the left hand. It's kind of an alternative to the Rekluse for improved bike control.

Wise decision!  

As 'mature' riders we've learned the importance personnal safety and preventative maintenance.

Also, as Arctic Pride mentionned earlier, a 2T 300 would most likely fit your requirements.

Every Sr Rider well almost all of us are shopping for a KTM 150xc,not kidding. We all have run dam near everything else, I still have a KDX.

My two woods bikes are the Husky WR144 and the KTM SX150 . They are light turn on a dime and just a riot in the wood's.

Yes the new Husky TE125 is a great choice or buy a Yamaha and add pipe,bars,guards ect but end up with the same cost as a KTM.

Four strokes work until you need to restart it hot and that 300xc is great but most old guys have sold them, off that speaks for itself.

Edited by slideleft

Keep in mind OP has mentioned he weighs 250lbs.

a small bore 2-stroke might not be ideal for him.

• Like 1

I am having my midlife crisis.I rode dirtbikes from 10 years old until I was 30. Now I am 50. I weight 250 and I always wanted to race hare scrambles or enduros.My favorite bike was a kdx 200. My least favorite was a Service Honda cr500...it was a beast. If I get to do some races I want to finish...don't care about winning. Help me spend some money what would you get? I have a thing for 200's but I may be to big. I really like the KTMs. I never left bikes I just have been riding HDs for the last few years.

The best bike i would recommend for you is a ktm 300, describes what your looking for perfect.