Sign in to follow this  

Just turned 50 getting back into riding, need bike advice.

Heres something to remember. The new yamaha 250fx is fuel injected, And has electric start which means that hot starts will not be a problem. Also as far as maintainance goes there will be zero jetting required...truth is your not going to have much maintainance with either an offroad 2 stroke or an offroad 4 stroke . And a 250f will have plenty of low end for a heavier rider in the woods.

Any idea a bout the weight difference between a wr250x and a ktm 300exw

Perhaps you mean a KTM 300 XC-W

Pretty sure KTM specs their weights dry / no fuel : 300XC-W is about 225 lbs.

Yamaha specs is with all fluids / ready to ride:   WR250X : 258 lbs. figure substrating about 15 lbs. without fuel

When I alternate between my YZ125 and a friend's CRF250R, the more I ride his bike I realize the extra weight bothers me when riding.

Wanting to stay with Yamaha I was contemplating buying either a WR or FX for a future trail/off-road project but the newly unveiled

BETA 300 X-Trainer at only 218lbs. looks to be more and more my ideal choice.

Edited by mlatour

Lets pick equip[tment. When we rode back in the day it was tshirts and jeans. Please recommend  safety equiptment  I need to buy.

Just got off the phone with the KTM dealer . He thinks I need a 2015  300xc-w  out the door for $7765.  What do you think?

Yea thats what I was thinking for you.

Spend big on boots and helmet, go last year's or closeout on jersey's/pants/gloves. Lots of guys wearing trail armor these days too, I like the FOX Titan, not beer gut friendly though...

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with the KTM dealer . He thinks I need a 2015  300xc-w  out the door for $7765.  What do you think?

They are a nice bike if you think you can handle the power after that much time off. I just had to take one of my riding buddies to the hospital last weekend due to whiskey throttle, he got lucky with a broken wrist and cracked ribs. He won't be riding for a while...

I usually recommend new or returning riders NOT to buy open class power on their first go-round, life is too short.

That said, it's a nice bike and you won't outgrow it.

How tall are you by the way? At 5'9" I didn't even look at KTM due to seat height.

Lets pick equip[tment. When we rode back in the day it was tshirts and jeans. Please recommend  safety equiptment  I need to buy.

That's a good topic for the General Forum. Many, many factors come into play. I have a super-size gearbag crammed as full as can be several times over. Meaning multiple boots, helmets, goggles, protection systems, temperature dependent clothing, etc. Every piece individually selected for fit and form over many years.

It's a big topic.

And you have a good budget so make sure to get good stuff that fits well.

They are a nice bike if you think you can handle the power after that much time off. I just had to take one of my riding buddies to the hospital last weekend due to whiskey throttle, he got lucky with a broken wrist and cracked ribs. He won't be riding for a while...

I usually recommend new or returning riders NOT to buy open class power on their first go-round, life is too short.

How tall are you by the way? At 5'9" I didn't even look at KTM due to seat height.

6 foot  I used to be 6 1

That's a good topic for the General Forum. Many, many factors come into play. I have a super-size gearbag crammed as full as can be several times over. Meaning multiple boots, helmets, goggles, protection systems, temperature dependent clothing, etc. Every piece individually selected for fit and form over many years.

It's a big topic.

And you have a good budget so make sure to get good stuff that fits well.

I do know 1 thing I miss my old High Point boots....they were great...

My survival plan. Rekluse clutch,Stealy flywheel weight , soft spring for the exhaust valve , cut the bars alittle , buy some real good protective gear and go to my first local harescramble. Ride my own race to finish.  I am pumped like I am 20 again     well 30...

• Like 2

Sounds good. At 6' you'll just fit a 300XC-W. $7800 is a good price for a '15 and will save you a few bucks for accessories.

Sounds like you know about tuning the powervalve. I wouldn't run a FWW on a 300 since you can make them as sluggy as you want but to each their own.

I like tall bars and risers for more comfortable standing, you might look into that. I cut my bars to 30".

Enduro Engineering makes the nicest barkbusters in my opinion. Threaded handguard mountings are the way to go for toughness: http://slavensracing.com/shop/rigid-handguard-bar-end-insert-mounts/.

That company, Slavens, is the big aftermarket guy to see for bling, guards and mods if you want to do one-stop-shopping for a KTM. It's all top notch. 

Don't forget to get the suspension done,with what you'd going to spend this will keep you off the ground.

Sounds good. At 6' you'll just fit a 300XC-W. $7800 is a good price for a '15 and will save you a few bucks for accessories.

Sounds like you know about tuning the powervalve. I wouldn't run a FWW on a 300 since you can make them as sluggy as you want but to each their own.

I like tall bars and risers for more comfortable standing, you might look into that. I cut my bars to 30".

Enduro Engineering makes the nicest barkbusters in my opinion. Threaded handguard mountings are the way to go for toughness: http://slavensracing.com/shop/rigid-handguard-bar-end-insert-mounts/.

That company, Slavens, is the big aftermarket guy to see for bling, guards and mods if you want to do one-stop-shopping for a KTM. It's all top notch. 

Thanks for the tip on handguard mounts.I  may wait with flywheel weight but I rode a bike with a Rekluse andI see its benefit in the auto clutch.

• Like 1

Should I get a steering damper? I have the budget for it and we ride rocky stuff.I live in southeast TN close to the Sequatchie Trials Training Center. I have never had one.

Do your suspension first! Spring it for your weight, valve it for your riding ability and terrain...

• Like 1

Should I get a steering damper? I have the budget for it and we ride rocky stuff.I live in southeast TN close to the Sequatchie Trials Training Center. I have never had one.

I have owned them before and liked them well enough but some bikes just don't need one. My Beta doesn't. Guys who ride higher speed terrain like desert get the most benefit.

If you do end up buying one go with Scott's. They have the best damper and excellent customer service.