always have a back up fuel filter

So I decided to check my fuel filter, the first time I checked it at about 20 hours it was clean as a whistle with white screen, at 50 hours the screen looked dirty.

So I hit it with wd40 and that cleaned it up and then went to blow it out with compressor.

That thing went to the moon , don't know where it went, so I had to install a new backup one. I was alittle surprised it was looking dirty, May have to get a tank sock.

Edited by Spud786

LOL! Thats funny

the tank sock is a good idea.  works pretty good.

Majority of people just toss them out, they are cheap enough to pickup a couple extras so IMO there is no sense in trying to clean it and reuse.  Changed mine with roughly 1,500 miles on my bike and it was slightly discolored - close inspection did not show any real debris so my guess is they just stain from the fuel.  It was still running perfect when I changed it but included it with winter maintenance since I was doing a bunch of other things getting ready for the season.

Yeah I change mine every 15-20 hours just as preventive maintenence. I bought 8 of them from my dealer at 4 bucks a piece. Mine haven't looked dirty yet

Majority of people just toss them out, they are cheap enough to pickup a couple extras so IMO there is no sense in trying to clean it and reuse.  Changed mine with roughly 1,500 miles on my bike and it was slightly discolored - close inspection did not show any real debris so my guess is they just stain from the fuel.  It was still running perfect when I changed it but included it with winter maintenance since I was doing a bunch of other things getting ready for the season.

Yeah I have post 50 year old eyes, and didn't have my real strong classes on, I know the wd40 turned it back to white, but with the moon launch I didn't get to inspect it well enough.

Id never used a tank sock before they are alittle annoying to get just right, cause its the same filter material as the fuel filter itself. so its somewhat resistive to flow, such as with local gas station pressure pumps. You have to get the nozzle just right for it to accept fuel easily.

But we'll see how it does long term at extending fuel filter life. I hear the race bikes come without a filter, I can only assume there must be a benefit without the filter?

Edited by Spud786

Id never used a tank sock before they are alittle annoying to get just right, cause its the same filter material as the fuel filter itself. so its somewhat resistive to flow, such as with local gas station pressure pumps. You have to get the nozzle just right for it to accept fuel easily.

But we'll see how it does long term at extending fuel filter life. I hear the race bikes come without a filter, I can only assume there must be a benefit without the filter?

Yes, you need to reduce the strength of the flow while pumping fuel.

I think race bikes sacrifice added protection for sake of uninterrupted fuel supply.

That thing went to the moon , don't know where it went, so I had to install a new backup one....

LOL! 

I cleaned mine the same way, BUT I didn't lose it.  I THOUGHT that was a possibility, though, while I was blowing it out.  There's no real good way to hang to the little devil...

Golan high-flow filter: never needs cleaning.