Sign in to follow this  

Please Help me Identify This Part (Photo)

Hi, I purchased a 1996 XR600 in Asia. The old owner said it was imported from the US. On the right side of the engine, there is a loose spring, which looks like there should be a cable attached to it. I took a photo and drew a red circle around the part in question. 

Can someone please tell me what this part is, and should it be attached to a cable? There is a little bit of oil which leaks out from this part.

Best Regards

XR600Engine.JPG

Yep, you are missing your manual decompression cable.  On your left grip, under the clutch lever there should be a second, smaller lever. The decompression cable goes from that handle to the spot on the engine you asked about. 

The cable is #4 on this parts list. The decompression lever is #23.

Honda%20cables%20microfiche_zpscktfgvim.

On older models you needed this cable to find TDC to start the engine. On your year you have an automatic decompression system inside your engine.So that might be why yours is gone. Its not as necessary as the older models.

Edited by B.Mauser

I don't think I could do without the manual one, but I can do without the internal automatic D'comp. Kinda weird, how many posters that just buy the bike, dont have them on.

I don't think I could do without the manual one, but I can do without the internal automatic D'comp. Kinda weird, how many posters that just buy the bike, dont have them on.

Yeah, no kidding! Is there a dude out there collecting manual decomps? Why do so many people take them off?