Sign in to follow this  

Mousse vs heavy duty

Hey guys I got a flat tire during the opening rounds of my local Enduro curcit. I'm tired of dealing with flat tubes and I'm wondering if the mousse is any good? Can I still jump with it? And what is the life span of this stuff?

Hey guys I got a flat tire during the opening rounds of my local Enduro curcit. I'm tired of dealing with flat tubes and I'm wondering if the mousse is any good? Can I still jump with it? And what is the life span of this stuff?

Ive run both, ride mostly enduro and single track. Heavy duty tubes did ok, but wouldnt stop a nail... Running Goldentyre mousses front and rear and have to say im happy... Some of the places i ride are filled with trash so never have to worry about nails or sharp objects since i sometimes ride in old mine quarries... As for jumping, the odd air i get here and there is the same as when i was running heavy duty tubes, sadly im not the type who catches air, feel im faster on terra firma...  And they last a lot longer than my tyres do...

Did this by chance happen at the season opener for CORCS?

Yes it happened at aztek for corcs. I'm just curious if they work. Because I'm tired of going through tubes. And they say they you the bibs in motocross but idk about that. I just want to go fast, catch a little bit of air, and not have to worry about getting a flat. Because nothing pisses me off then getting last place because of my tire lol

• Like 1

Yes it happened at aztek for corcs.

I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better but you were not the only one.  I saw quite a few flat tires throughout the race (among other serious bike issues).  There was even a guy in my class that blew his rear tire on a 'small-ish' jump just minutes into lap 1 right in front of me!  I even have it on video  :cool:

I've never run anything but heavy duty tubes and have yet to have any issues with them.  I even used to run a little slime in them for extra peace of mind but I have not done that in the past year or so.  20+ races so far and (knock on wood) no problems yet.  It seems like good quality tubes and running a reasonable psi "should" keep you inflated and running fast for quite some time.  No exp with bibs though.  Good luck at Rnd 2!

• Like 1

Mousse bibs saved my ass running Vegas to Reno. Whereas I heard afterwards other riders that just had HD tubes ended up with multiple flats throughout the race. Changing a tube during a desert race is never fun. That being said I went back to a HD tube in the rear when I returned home to Michigan and Mousse up front. Reason being to install/remove bibs is a HUGE pain in the ass for rear tires. Front wasn't so bad so I re used that one.

• Like 2

You have to keep bibs greased up, so what I'll do is every 10 hours or so of riding I'll remove one bead and insert grease down in there.  My buddy rides the same speed as me (decent A rider) and his front bib lasted 1 year, his rear lasted 2 years. 

He didn't grease them this often, but he also doesn't ride as much as me (which is sad, I never ride enough).  So I expect to get a year out of my Mousses, which is about 40 hours of ride time (my riding is split between two bikes, I just run tubes for my motocross bike).  I'll keep you posted on how they last!

One other thing, you have to keep bibs on a bike stand if it's not being ridden.  Otherwise over time the bibs will start to squish down from the bike's weight.. actually it's from gravity.. which is actually because of the lunar gravity pull from outer freaking space.  So you can blame bibs squishing on the moon.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better but you were not the only one.  I saw quite a few flat tires throughout the race (among other serious bike issues).  There was even a guy in my class that blew his rear tire on a 'small-ish' jump just minutes into lap 1 right in front of me!  I even have it on video  :cool:

I've never run anything but heavy duty tubes and have yet to have any issues with them.  I even used to run a little slime in them for extra peace of mind but I have not done that in the past year or so.  20+ races so far and (knock on wood) no problems yet.  It seems like good quality tubes and running a reasonable psi "should" keep you inflated and running fast for quite some time.  No exp with bibs though.  Good luck at Rnd 2!

Trust me, it's a matter of time before you get a flat!  My buddy is resistant to buying bibs, "Oh I don't know the last time i got a flat!!"  I tell him that his memory gets foggy when trying to rationalize a decision.. he's had more flats than I can count over the last decade.

Just throwing it out there but there is an inbetween option. The Nuetech Tubliss system. It is more pricey than tubes initially but lasts way longer than a bib mousse. You can still race even if the main tire goes flat and, if you feel you must fix it during a race, you can do it in under 5 minutes easily.

Many of the top hard enduro riders including Graham Jarvis runs bibs. Good enough for me. My dirt only bike will have them.

Yes it happened at aztek for corcs. I'm just curious if they work. Because I'm tired of going through tubes. And they say they you the bibs in motocross but idk about that. I just want to go fast, catch a little bit of air, and not have to worry about getting a flat. Because nothing pisses me off then getting last place because of my tire lol

Sorry you had trouble out there. Definately nothing more frustrating than getting a DNF from a flat. Indeed there was mass carnage at this race. Multiple injuries and mechanical issues. I run the Maxxis IT desert tires and heavy duty msr tubes and have NEVER had a flat. Im sure you remember the sandy section right as you go under the bridge. Lots of hidden rocks (some very large) in the sand. I hit a few at high speed and rode away unscathed. Maxxis is known for a very stiff side wall, multi ply tire. As you know, our Rocky Mountains has "rocks" and lots of them. Never had a flat up there either with this set up. :thumbsup:

So my tire stem completely came off! I have no idea how something like that can even happen I'll post a pic to do how weird it is.

Try the Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty tubes

They are 4mm thick

I've had excellent luck with them. I usually run 8-10 psi. Been running them for 3 years with no flats, knock on wood.

Tubeless is cool except it makes changing a tire a little tougher. You also can't flip the tire because you usually can't get it to seal up after removing the tire. You also need a plug kit in case you get a puncture.

Never tried a mousse but the pain the butt install scares me away

Im a UHD tube convert!id been running mousses for years but they just seem to be making them softer and softer!!im not sure why?maybe to fit them easier?!i like the feel of a firmer pressure and stability,and front mousses roll around on the rim to much for my liking.mousses are a good thing dont get me wrong.

I'm in process of building a modern chassis with an old school air cooled 2t motor for simplicity.

This bike will get mousses as well. Never will have a flat.

I saw a build up of graham Jarvis's bike and they drill holes in his mousse as well as use 3 beadlocks

I installed front and rear mousses in my 13' 450xcw. Love the idea of no flats. Lots of the aggressive single track we ride around my area is very rocky and flats seem to be often for the bib non believers.

But yes, install and removal is a huge pain in the ass, especially if your alone.