KTM SX 250 2013 tranny/gear oil help!

Hey guys thanks for looking I have a question in regards to my 2stroke I'm new to the 2smokers came off a ktm 350 4stroke and always ran rotella t6 fully synthetic in the motor and was wondering if it's ok to run the rotella t6 on my 2smoker? Or should I run a higher grade oil or perhaps a different brand? Thanks again! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1427733747.048196.jpg

Its fine! I run diesel oil in my tranny 15w-50, its 60$ for 20liters, i ran it the whole season last year (100hrs) had no problems! It last for apx 133hrs if changed every 5 hrs! Cheap and does the job very well just change it every 5hrs.

You'll be fine with the T6, but when you run out of it.. ATF is still the best thing you can use in a 2 stroke gear case..

You'll be fine with the T6, but when you run out of it.. ATF is still the best thing you can use in a 2 stroke gear case..

I use hydraulic fluid in mine. It has about the same feel as ATF and I have plenty of it around.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid in my 13 and 14 Sx, as well as my 4-strokes too.

The biggest burn I've found is when you pour some $3.00 pr quart Wal Mart ATF into a clear plastic cup, then pour some $13.00 pr quart Bel Ray Gear Saver in another plastic cup. Now let someone swap the cups around like the Mexican bean under a cup game, and try to identify which is which.. :smirk:

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

Its fine! I run diesel oil in my tranny 15w-50, its 60$ for 20liters, i ran it the whole season last year (100hrs) had no problems! It last for apx 133hrs if changed every 5 hrs! Cheap and does the job very well just change it every 5hrs.

cool thanks for the feedback are you running that on your 2stroke? How did the piston look after you replaced the top end?

Whats ATF? And where can I find it? Sounds really cheap I'm paying 22$ bucks for a bottle of t6 and usually run out by the end of the month I usually ride every weekend or every other so I go threw oil changes often on my 4stroke, on the 2strokes I'm still learning.

ATF is simply 'Automatic Transmission Fluid'

Either use DEXRON or Type-F  ATF

Any auto parts store or Wal-Mart will have that on the shelf.

Both work very well in a 2-strokes' gearbox, the Type-F is usualy prefered due to it's friction caracteristics

but it's sometimes not as easy to find in stores as the more common DEXRON.

Avoid 'Multi-vehicle', 'Import Car ATF or ATF+4 fluids as their friction caracteristics aren't as proven for motorcycle use as the two mentionned above.

You can also use ATF in a separate sump 4-stroke gearboxes like Honda CRF's

Edited by mlatour

I use Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid in my 13 and 14 Sx, as well as my 4-strokes too.

Sorry, I should have specified I use ATF in my Honda 4-strokes that have separate transmission and engine compartments, as mentioned above by 'mlatour'.

I've been using shell rotella T ( dino) in my 2t's for years.  It's cheaper than the T6.  I heard that the T6 had friction modifiers that might cause slipping.  I think that the rotella T just got the jaso / ma rating? Im just repeating what I read on here....

I've been using shell rotella T ( dino) in my 2t's for years. It's cheaper than the T6. I heard that the T6 had friction modifiers that might cause slipping. I think that the rotella T just got the jaso / ma rating? Im just repeating what I read on here....

Thank you for your feedback that's good to know I'm gonna look into that I'm not concern about the price I just want it to be quality oil, motor is brand new with only 5 hours on it.

Thank you for your feedback that's good to know I'm gonna look into that I'm not concern about the price I just want it to be quality oil, motor is brand new with only 5 hours on it.

I've used Motorex, Rotella T and a couple of other synthetics in my 150 & 250sx since 2011. The Rotella T shifts better and never slips. I've found that the synthetics slip a bit under high speed high load situations. Just last month I put Motorex back in for one ride since I was out of Rotella T...and sure enough I felt the clutch slipping

It took a long time to really believe Rotella T is a great 2T oil, but I am wholly convinced

Rode Suzukis for years, their clutch drag is horrible. ATF type F (thinner) helped tremendously. After a lower end rebuild the tranny looked remarkably new.

My Husaberg has a little drag, so I do 300cc ATF + 500cc of Rotella T. Good clutch performance and I'm hard on clutches, change it every ride.

a 2 stroke gearbox is strong. You could practically run vegetable oil in it. I wouldn't recommend trying that though!  :goofy:

cool thanks for the feedback are you running that on your 2stroke? How did the piston look after you replaced the top end?

Ummmm....RideOrange you do realize there is no motor oil used by a 2 stroke, you mix oil with your fuel.

Ummmm....RideOrange you do realize there is no motor oil used by a 2 stroke, you mix oil with your fuel.

Yes I do, the only thing is your clutch/gear box oil? I'm currently running in my premix maxima k2.

Plain old Rotella T, I stock up when it is on sale for 11 bucks a gallon. I've tried ATF, but I think it isn't necessary and more expensive. Hell, all the dirt bikes in my garage are running rotella for either engine or gearbox oil....even the riding lawnmower...

no need to spend big money. Two stroke gearboxes don't care. I've been running whatever 10w40 is on sale since the mid 1970s with no problems. Change it maybe every 10-12 hours.

I also don't understand guys that claim they can feel a difference in shift quality depending on the oil. I sure can't feel anything with boots, and I doubt I would even if I were riding in bare feet.

I'm piggybacking off this thread instead of creating a whole new one. 

I ride a 2014 Husaberg TE250 (exact same engine as the KTM 250XC-W). I've been running Maxima Castor 927 for my premix with the Motorex 2T for engine oil. 

Curious if anyone uses the 927 for both the premix and engine oil. 

Also curious if anyone uses the 927, then what weight? Their specs say 40:1 for 250cc's, but the service book for the bike says 60:1 (referencing to the Motorex 2T). 40:1 seems pretty heavy. I've been racing with it at 50-55:1 and it "seems" pretty happy and runs well. 

Thoughts?

Edited by MyersAvionics