End of the DRZ.

Wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and input over the last year. My 2014 DRZ is being retired for a more capable bike. I bought a 2015 KTM 690 Enduro R. After riding both I don't know how I didn't do it sooner. 6th gear and 67hp. It is also lighter. Take care and good luck. May see some of you on the KTM boards.

Im currently negotiating with dealers on the ktm690 myself drz is not for me anymore. Congrate on the new bike. But i haven't test drive the 690, you say its a lot better???

congrats,  lets see some pics,   how does the 690 enduro compare to the DRZ?  ive always like those. 

Congrats on the new bike.  The 690 endure r is a nice bike I road with a guy who had his setup for adventure riding recently.  The two bikes cant really be compared.  The drz is what half the cost of a ktm 690 endure.  As far as weight goes though there probably really similar lol.  My drz I can thrash all day as my dirt bike.  I would be too worried about dropping the ktm 690 in the rocks after paying 11 grand. 

The KTM 690 Enduro and the SMC are both great bikes! But in terms of maintenance, the DRZ will still shine  :thumbsup:

Ive heard bad stuff about KTM 450 street legal reliability, not sure if its the same with 690. Cant bet the DRZ for reliability in my book.

Congrats on the new bike!  I rode a 525 exc in SM trim and that was a blast.  I am sure a 690 is stupid powerful compared to a DRZ.

To each his own, hope you get many years out of the new KTM.

how much did it go out the door for ... i have pics of the 650r and fz09 on my desktop and go back and forth on which to get for over a month now, cant decide ..

I had a 690smc the first year they were brought into the usa. It never ran right from the day i got it, and i couldn't get used to riding it. I just never felt any bit of confidence riding it. About 4 weeks in i was riding with a group went around a corner and didnt have the confidence to lean it through the corner and went off the road into a ditch at low speed. Pulled it out od the ditch and rode it home unharmed. Then 2 weeks later a car cut me off and the bike got totalled. I had a broken collarbone and the insurance company totalled the bike. The running issue was something in the fuel tank with the pump. That got fixed about a week before the bike got totalled.

Meanwhile the drz400sm is inspiring loads of confidence in the corners and runs great and has plenty of power.

Edited by Jasonb85

Im currently negotiating with dealers on the ktm690 myself drz is not for me anymore. Congrate on the new bike. But i haven't test drive the 690, you say its a lot better???

It's almost twice the power. Handles the woods so much better. Has a 6th gear, although I was cruising at 60 in 3rd.

congrats, lets see some pics, how does the 690 enduro compare to the DRZ? ive always like those.

Here are a couple.

1427757237279.jpg

1427757255116.jpg

how much did it go out the door for ... i have pics of the 650r and fz09 on my desktop and go back and forth on which to get for over a month now, cant decide ..

10,200 otd.

10,200 otd.

thanks .. thats alittle better than i thought .....

A KTM with 50% more engine and 100% more cost has some advantages?  Who knew!

Ive heard bad stuff about KTM 450 street legal reliability, not sure if its the same with 690. Cant bet the DRZ for reliability in my book.

The new lc4 engine has a 10,000km valve and engine tuning interval the reliability of this engine is apparently very good now. But what do i know i dont have one :-(

Congratulations, I liked the 690 for black top work but she always feels like a pig the second she gets in dirt; a scalded pig but a pig all the same. Let us know how everything works out...

Edited by JFK400

10,200 otd.

2014 model?

2014 model?

I love Love LOVE my KTM but mine is a 450SMR and my track weapon of choice. I am however looking at getting something for the street/trails and have been eyeing either the 690 or the EXC500 ;)

Moving to a KTM 690 smc/enduro from a DRZ is an interesting topic for sure.  I too find the the KTM 690 Enduro R at the very top of my list of bikes I would consider next.  The topics of maintenance, weight, HP, and cost often come up for obvious reasons when comparing the KTM to the DRZ.  I consider the cost and HP point a bit moot.  The cost associated to bring the DRZ to 50 HP (somewhat reliably) would come very close to if not exceed the (still more powerful) KTM purchase.  Maintenance wise I haven't really researched much about the KTM but if I were seriously considering one I would definitely do some research to get a ballpark idea of what the "loctite" fixes may encompass.  Finally the subject of weight.  I find it very interesting how often people who own or have ridden the KTM 690 Enduro R mention that it feels heavy.  This is curious to me especially when this is stated in comparison to the DRZ.  On paper the bike looks to be within 20 lbs of a the DRZ400.  Could the placement of mass on the KTM be that much higher than that of the DRZ that it would yield this hefty feel?  Lastly I would like to know from the KTM owners is how does the fit and finish of the overall machine feel and how well does the bike sort of gell or feel overall (are there any glaring unusual tendencies)?

Edited by sbmon