Sign in to follow this  

2000 kx250 transmission oil

Drained it and filled t with autozone 10w30 motor oil. Is this the wrong stuff? Should I have used type f atf?

Car oil is never a good thing in a wet clutch gear case. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes your clutch goes to slipping. Kinda like Dirty Harry puts it, "do you feel lucky?".

I'd drain it and fill it with ATF. Then ride it around a minute and drain it and fill it with ATF again. Probably be alright then.

Car oil is never a good thing in a wet clutch gear case. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes your clutch goes to slipping. Kinda like Dirty Harry puts it, "do you feel lucky?".

I'd drain it and fill it with ATF. Then ride it around a minute and drain it and fill it with ATF again. Probably be alright then.

It either slips or it don't. I have used many varieties of car oil and have not had an issue on my two stroke transmissions.

• Like 1

It either slips or it don't. I have used many varieties of car oil and have not had an issue on my two stroke transmissions.

I use 10W30 and I've never had an issue either.  Going on over 40 years w/ a 2T....never used ATF.

Edited by AtomicGeo

I get whatever wally world has, for under $20/gal. Usually Valvoline. Use it in every 2t trans I own...never a problem. Trans oil preference is like premix, tires, terrain, technique, etc. Ask 100 people the same question...expect a 100 different answers.

• Like 1