Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400s For MotoPed (sad to see it go)

Selling my good friend 05 DRZ400s MX (the bike that did it all) for a MotoPed Pro. I wonder if anyone else has made this switch? Guessing if so they aren't on this forum anymore... Anyone on here ride a MotoPed?

Bike in classified now :-(

20150327_122635.jpg

DCP_2772 Good 4.JPG

• Like 2

So you're going to a 125cc scooter engine on a downhill pedal bike over a 400cc dirtbike?

To each his own. They are neat but they aren't DRZ fast, I'm sure.

I can see the swap if you are into downhill riding (so you can get back to the top quickly).

I see a motoped more of an "AND" bike. 

Meaning you have a Motoped and something else (preferably something with a bigger motor and real tires).

Why  :lame:

J/K  :goofy:

No joke... I bought the DRZ400s to make a street legal motocross bike amd hit ramps with it and ppl said, "why?". The why for the motoped is very light, needs a small motor and the power looks pretty awesome for it. It looks like fun to jump too which is what im about. The other thing is no ins. no registration and battery to buy every year, or plus 80-100mpg. I do love my DRZ and dont really want to sell it but will.

• Like 1

I've wanted a motoped since I saw them. I want to know how well it works. I could convert my kids crf into one. Post up a review when u get it.

In Canada, the engine needs to be 49cc or smaller in order to not need registration / insurance.

• Like 1

I guess in California the law is 50cc peddle start motor (true moped) so i guess if a cop wanted to be a pain they could bust you. I wonder if when they get more popular cops will catch on and make them unrideable/illegal? Im starting to throw around the idea now of taking a YZ125 stripping it to just the chassis and using one of the 125 4-stroke Lifan motoped engines in it and rig up some peddles to the disk break side, a beefer motoped! Or even just buy a true 50cc moped engine for it, they would be sooo easy to do. I wonder how much a 125 rolling chassis weighs? The 2 engines are 45-60 LBS.

I was wrong about California Law.

(a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or

three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by

human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical

energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less

than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the

device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level

ground

They would have no clue how many HP a bike made and if they were a pain you just pop off the shifter.

125cc is not street legal without same stuff your drz needs.  Just got busted on my daughters doodle bug mini bike just in the hood, but cop was cool and didn't ticket me.  Yeah, drz not the best bike for jumps...but either is a moped, unless you're Hot Rod. Those pedals could cause some serious injury to ankles!  You really need a trailer and a killer 250 MX dirt bike to have the fun you are looking for probably. If you are light (like around 150 lbs) maybe a 125cc.  There are street legal 250's like the Yamaha WR250R that should be a bit more nimble and light if you need streetable bike. 

I don't really get how its an "MX".. It has different plastics and that's it as far as i can tell. It has S front forks with the boots removed and everything else is seemingly stock drz.. Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

Edited by k4f5x0r
  • Like 1

I don't really get how its an "MX".. It has different plastics and that's it as far as i can tell. It has S front forks with the boots removed and everything else is seemingly stock drz.. Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

I assume he meant he uses it for "MX", i.e. jumps… now whether a DRZ E or S model is an MX bike is another story.

125cc is not street legal without same stuff your drz needs.  Just got busted on my daughters doodle bug mini bike just in the hood, but cop was cool and didn't ticket me.  Yeah, drz not the best bike for jumps...but either is a moped, unless you're Hot Rod. Those pedals could cause some serious injury to ankles!  You really need a trailer and a killer 250 MX dirt bike to have the fun you are looking for probably. If you are light (like around 150 lbs) maybe a 125cc.  There are street legal 250's like the Yamaha WR250R that should be a bit more nimble and light if you need streetable bike. 

Not likely when he mentions, assuming price of, registration and insurance…