Cr500 conversion

Hey guys I am needing some expert advice for a swap i wanna put a cr500 motor on my 04 crf250r frame is that possible if so what all will i need and a price range to see if it woulf be cheaper to buy a already swapped one

Check out this site:  http://www.conversionparts500.com/

They sell all the parts you need and have a bunch of info on how to do the other mods.  This is a pretty big project and I wouldn't recommend it if it's your first attempt since the gen 4 CRF250

frame/CR500 engine is one of the tougher to pull off of any of the available combos.

dogger

• Like 1

Hey guys I am needing some expert advice for a swap i wanna put a cr500 motor on my 04 crf250r frame is that possible if so what all will i need and a price range to see if it woulf be cheaper to buy a already swapped one

I'm finishing up my build this week. Should be picking it up from my welder tonight.  All that's left is to put fresh shock oil in and recharge the nitrogen. Okay, back to the topic. I used a 2005 CRF250R and a 1990 CR500 motor. You can use a motor as old as 1989; do not use one from '88 or prior - while possible, it is difficult because the rear motor mount hole where the swingarm bolt goes through is smaller than the bolt, so it must be bored out.  The "Y" part of the frame needs to be altered, the lower motor mounts do not line up, and neither do the headstay mounts.  The link to Conversion Parts 500 is good, that's where I got my parts.  The radiators also do not line up - on the the top of the cylinder head, there are two radiator hose inlet tube, and on the 04-05 crf, there is only one 90 degree outlet tube, on the top left side.  It is also a different size than the CR500 hose.  So you'll have to get two 90 degree rad outlets, cut the left one off, and drill a hole for the right side radiator.  The water pump inlet also doesn't line up with the radiator, so that must be altered to recieve the hose on an angle.  http://www.conversionparts500.com/manuals.phpThese will help a lot.  The airbox doesn't line up to the carb either.  You will need to rivet a metal plate to the old air box to adapt to a 98 cr250 boot.  The gas tank on the 250 hits the spark plug, so you must (carefully) heat and push the plastic up to fit the plug - or buy an altered tank, CP500 sells them too.  Depending on the time and money you have, it can be done in a couple of months for $3000 - $5000.  Mine has taken just short of 2 years and just shy of $10,000.  Would I have rather bought a new one from service honda for $12,000? heck no, i learned a lot of stuff throughout this project. Any specific questions don't be afraid to ask me.