Sign in to follow this  

Race fuel vs. 93 oc.

The guy I bought my cr250 off of has been running 110 octane leaded fuel. I know where I can get it at but are there any advantages. I usually run 93 with a higher quality oil instead

The guy I bought my cr250 off of has been running 110 octane leaded fuel. I know where I can get it at but are there any advantages. I usually run 93 with a higher quality oil instead

Or if you really wanted to you could throw in some octain booster. I can only buy 91 here in alberta.

The real question here is: what did he do to it? Could have crazy high comp. and need the extra octane. 

Tear it down, verify what you have. If stock, 93 will be good. If it's something crazy you might want to start with what he was running and start blending in a % of 93 to see where you can draw the line. 

If the squish band was cut to take advantage of leaded fuel, you might need to stick with lead. I know in the road race 2-st they changed the heads to reduce squish velocity when unleaded was mandated. The leaded heads made more power, but needed lead to prevent detonation.

Squish detonation looks like small ice pick marks on the top of the piston.

I mix VP 110 about 50:50 with 91 octane pump fuel, so it's 100 octane mix.  When I can make it to a station with ethanol free fuel, I do that of course.  The bike runs a little stronger, cooler, better.. but in the end it costs a little more. 

I run race fuel but not for the 110 rating, for the lack of ethanol.

Yup, why anyone would take perfectly good fuel and cut it with crap E10 pump gas is beyond me.

I run VP C9. It's 96 pump octane unleaded non ethanol fuel.

my cr runs ALOT better on vp110 (or any other race gas) than normal pump gas I do use maxima k2 premix tho which helps the performance.

This site is getting tiring.

I think every Gas, Tire, and Oil thread should be locked as soon as its posted.

.....but but but what else would we talk about?

• Like 1

^^ Agreed ^^ Pump gas is crap! Race fuel needed or not, is the only fuel to burn! :thumbsup:

Plus the smell is amazing. Lol

• Like 1

Or if you really wanted to you could throw in some octain booster. I can only buy 91 here in alberta.

At any husky gas station you can get 94 premium. Thats what i have put in my yz250 since the day i bought it brand new. Never pinged or nothing. My manual say 95 or higher. 94 is close enough.

Also i live in red deer ab. You might have to travel to find a husky but its worth it.

At any husky gas station you can get 94 premium. Thats what i have put in my yz250 since the day i bought it brand new. Never pinged or nothing. My manual say 95 or higher. 94 is close enough.

Also i live in red deer ab. You might have to travel to find a husky but its worth it.

There are various methods of calculating octane rating:

MON (Motor octane number)

RON (Research octane number)

AKI   (anti-knock index)

R+M/2 (RON+MON divided by 2)

The Yamaha manual indicates using gasoline with a 'minimum of  95 research octane number' (95 RON),

that method is commonly used elsewhere in the world (Europe, Australia etc.)  but not in North America.

In Canada and the USA, automotive gas pumps indicate the R+M/2 method, so 95 RON is equal to our premium 91 octane.

As you have been doing is good, using 94 is a bit of extra insurance against detonation/pre-ignition.

The only drawback is that the Husky 94 is most likely the same formulation as Petro-Canada's 94 which unfortunately has a 10% ethanol content.

In Canada, most if not all 91 pump gas is non-ethanol, it's later added to 91 to boost octane for sale as 93 or 94 by some brands.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Im in a hamlet 20km outside of Airdrie. I usually fill up a 20 gallon jerry can once a week. We also take our truck in once a week to get water so If I go I may as well fill it up at coop. 

There are various methods of calculating octane rating:

The only drawback is that the Husky 94 is most likely the same formulation as Petro-Canada's 94 which is has a 10% ethanol content.

In Canada, most if not all 91 pump gas is non-ethanol, it's later added to 91 to boost octane for sale as 93 or 94 in some brands.

I thought every octane fuel, 87, 89, 91, 93, 94 had up to 10% ethonol. Every different brand fuel station is the same ?

Or i should get 91 premium, (ethonol free) from what gas station ? How bad is ethonol for 2 or 4 stroke engines really ?

In a 2 stroke motor, how far would you have to tune the motor to require race fuel?

my ktm 85 detonated with the engine mods that had (vhm cylinder head, porting, taper bored carb), so we dialed back the timing a couple of degrees and it went away, would we if benefitted from race fuel?