Regarding the loctite fixes...

I'm getting ready to tackle all of the "loctite" fixes.  I already had the standard "blue" and "red" loctites (don't have numbers, but these are standard hardware store ones), but also went ahead and ordered the Loctite 638 retaining compound, as suggested in the text of the Countershaft Sprocket fix.  My question is, can I also use this 638 for any of the other loctite fixes?  I'm assuming any of them that call for "red" or "high strength" would be okay to us the 638?  As written in the various fixes, here's what each calls for:

Stator Bolts - 242 (medium strength)

Starter Clutch Bolts - 271 (high strength)

Primary Gear Nut - calls for "red, high strength"; I'm assuming this means 271?

Let me know and thanks,

Warner

Follow the locktite fix thread ....

Follow the locktite fix thread ....

I did.....but see mention of 638 for ONLY the countershaft fix.  My question is, can I use 638 for the other loctite fixes that call for "red" or "high strength" loctite.

don't use the retaining compound  638 were not mentionned

that thing is like cement...it's designed to glue bearing at their place and don't allow them to spin.   it's way too much for a regular bolt...unles you already have issue with it.

the primary nut isn't an issue since it's big and can be easily heated to be removed.

use the one mentionned.

271 is the red high strenght  yes!

Edited by maxpat82

don't use the retaining compound  638!

that thing is like cement.

use the one mentionned.

271 is the red high strenght  yes!

So 638 ONLY for the countershaft sprocket?   That IS mentioned specifically in the Loctite fix for that part.

Warner

From what I've read, the 638 breaks down when heated, just like the 271....so I'm not sure how it would be a problem to use it.  I will defer to the experts on here, though......

Do whatever you want... Personally I would only use the retaining compound on the C/S splines.  Loctite is good, and what I use for thread locking (low/med/hi-strength).  However I got Permatex sleeve retainer for $3-5 instead of $20+ for Loctite that I will use very rarely.

Do whatever you want... Personally I would only use the retaining compound on the C/S splines.  Loctite is good, and what I use for thread locking (low/med/hi-strength).  However I got Permatex sleeve retainer for $3-5 instead of $20+ for Loctite that I will use very rarely.

Tell me about it.  I'll probably use this 638 stuff ONCE....on the spline shaft.  But I want to make sure I do things RIGHT the first time, you know?  I haven't decided if I'll use it in place of where the "red" loctite is recommended. 

Warner

I used whatever red loctite (high strength) I had on the shelf for my countershaft sprocket/splines. Used fairly liberally too. I figured  it's going to be better than the factory's no loctite policy.  Honestly didn't pay any attention to what the number was, and I'm not worried about it either.  I do appreciate your attention to detail and desire to "do it right" though!  The main thing is that it's intended as a "filler" to make the sprocket "less sloppy" on the splines. As long as you torque the nut properly, and let it sit overnight, it will turn to hard plastic and do that job. I know you are mainly going to ride on street. If you were going to be doing extreme enduro, popping clutch up wheelies all the time, big hill climbs, black  diamond single track, etc...I would be more inclined to think your sprocket and splines will wear over time. It is nice to be able to remove them also without too much torch and puller work. 

I used whatever red loctite (high strength) I had on the shelf for my countershaft sprocket/splines. Used fairly liberally too. I figured  it's going to be better than the factory's no loctite policy.  Honestly didn't pay any attention to what the number was, and I'm not worried about it either.  I do appreciate your attention to detail and desire to "do it right" though!  The main thing is that it's intended as a "filler" to make the sprocket "less sloppy" on the splines. As long as you torque the nut properly, and let it sit overnight, it will turn to hard plastic and do that job. I know you are mainly going to ride on street. If you were going to be doing extreme enduro, popping clutch up wheelies all the time, big hill climbs, black  diamond single track, etc...I would be more inclined to think your sprocket and splines will wear over time. It is nice to be able to remove them also without too much torch and puller work. 

I'm sure that will work just fine Doug.  The only reason I even ordered the 638 was after reading the loctite fix for the countershaft splines and seeing the comment from the company that makes Loctite suggest the 638.   I will only use the 638 for that fix, and the red or blue loctite as called for on the other fixes.

Warner