Why hasn't Suzuki made a new DRZ platform ( DRZ 500sm, or DRZ 450sm, etc? )

Why 'Zuki! 

It's about time.

I guess I can understand, " If it ain't broke, Don't fix it" but still, us as DRZ riders, want to see a 6 speed, fuel injected, 450/500cc, lighter framed, monster from you. We know you can do it, whats stopping you?!

Ask Suzuki they're on Facebook and other social media.  I am going to go with $$$$$ though or lack of.

Besides v-strom 1000 what models have they totally revamped lately?

They redesigned the SV awhile ago.

Because people keep buying them. I won't complain, it's an amazing platform to mod from. I just wish she was a lil lighter. For the price i can't complain. The aftermarket's taken care of it for suzuki basically. Big bores, cams, etc.

Edited by k4f5x0r

my guess is because it would raise the price point and kill off the sales .. there are 'some' people that will pay a 10grand+ msrp, but alot more that will go for the old solid drz400 ...

You and everyone else on this forum have the same dream.

You can't forget the oil level sightglass.

Make a new DRZ platform? They already killed off the best dizzer they had, the real Es; at least here in the states anyhow. Suzuki would have to stack a new model with every sought after feature for me to jump. Hell you figure at least 8k otd, probably closer to 10k, when I can pick up a low mile real E for 2-3k and turn it into anything my heart desires with the left over green; except a lightweight steed of course.

Edited by JFK400

They are a small company in rough finical shape.

I would not expect to much from them.

Even their bread and butter Gixxer line only gets bold new graphics year after year while other competitors are producing epic motorcycles.

Except for an all aluminum frame and kick start only (to save starter and battery weight), what could they do to drop the weight much?  Well, and that rear fender/tail light assembly...I think that weighs about 50 lbs right there  :lol: .  When I went to the edge taillight, I had to adjust my preload (kidding).  I think if you wanted a lighter DRZ that is still streetable, you could remove rear foot pegs, rear fender assembly, etc. And then install Li battery, etc.  But heck, I have the 4.25 gallon IMS tank and that holds 34lbs of fuel pretty high up...so for me, what's the point.  What I would really like is two bikes!  My trusty DRZ for the dual sport, connecting trails kind of stuff....and something like a WR250F (or YZ) in a trailer for dirt only days!  But I would have to add a divorce to that package I'm afraid. 

Aluminum frame and a more compact engine would shave some weight.

Just the fact that suzuki stopped importing the SM into the US for a couple years shows you how they feel about Street legal supermotos. How many street supermotos are available from the factory these days? We are in a very niche market.

I doubt there is much weight to be saved in the steel frame; 1/3 total frame weight if you're lucky, what's that 10 lbs? If AL frames were lightweight enough to justify their bulk and stiffness than I suspect we wouldn't see so many steel framed pumpkins... The kicker shows how much can be saved by excluding the e-start, the button is worth more than the weight loss in my opinion. I might be wrong but I suspect the dizzer has a heavy engine overall. Really instead of Suzuki offering another model a third party company heavily modding, or offering diy mod kits for, the dizzer sounds better. A nuts and bolts lightened real E with Kayaba SSS suspension, big bored and massaged to 50hp; well that sounds like a dream.

They should just sell a Rmz 450 in supermoto trim . That would be perfect lol.

If I remember correctly, when I was researching the wr450f before I bought my E model, the older wr with the steel frame was actually around 3 pounds lighter than the newer aluminum framed model. The main benefit I gathered was the different handling characteristics. I found that to be pretty interesting. I think like others have posted, bringing back the E model with some small weight savings in addition to being factory plated would be a very popular middle weight dual sport.

They should just sell a Rmz 450 in supermoto trim . That would be perfect lol.

Street-legal supermoto RMZ450. 

That would be the day.

It would be sooo easy for Suzuki to do.

Take the Excel wheels off the DRZ, slap a DOT headlight and blinkers (again, from the DRZ) and done!

Sell it for 9K, it'll fly off the shelf.

Street-legal supermoto RMZ450. 

That would be the day.

It would be sooo easy for Suzuki to do.

Take the Excel wheels off the DRZ, slap a DOT headlight and blinkers (again, from the DRZ) and done!

Sell it for 9K, it'll fly off the shelf.

That much is easy. Passing emissions is not. 

Here in Michigan you can make an RMZ street legal just as easy as any dirt bike. But the tiny gas tank, close ratio transmission, racing 450 maintenance, oil capacity, etc. seem to offset any possible pros from my perspective. Now that I mention it the dream drz from above definitely needs a wide ratio trans.

Edited by JFK400

Lighter weight frame, 6 speed (or wide ratio gear set like ACTs), fuel injection (reprogrammable w/ power commander), and then license KTM/Husabergs tubeless wheels for the supermoto version. Done, and shouldn't add much to the final price.

I noticed that DRZ400 is not on the Japan Suzuki website.. like, it's not listed at all. Was it in the past? Perhaps they're phasing it out? :/

http://www1.suzuki.co.jp/motor/lineup

That much is easy. Passing emissions is not. 

Slap a catalytic converter on it (that's easily removed / bypassed) or use a factory lean tune to pass emissions.