Sign in to follow this  

Replace/repair 86 xr250 rear shock

I ran my old 86 xr250 in a harescramble and ruined the rear suspension. It has absolutely no dampening. I would like to get the bike back in riding condition but not wanting to break the bank to do it.

I've seen other threads about replacing rear suspension with donor parts and would like to know if anyone has had any success with getting some sort of operational suspension on a budget.

The xr has seen its last competition but I use it to knock around the farm and hate to park it.

From what I see on eBay, the seal head and oil seals are still available, so you could try rebuilding it yourself with the help of a Youtube tutorial. You'll need a way to recharge the Nitrogen reservoir.  It's that or send it out to a suspension shop, which you're looking at around $150 for a rebuild.

There is another problem on the old Xr250 86/95 the shock body bore hole.Gets enlarged,then cant rebuild it.Then need buy few shocks of ebay.To make one good one.Or maybe someone on this site has adapted one,off another bike.

If know somewhere that can rebuild it for $150 give me there info. Everywhere I''ve checked it was sort of an open ended cost quote. I did see the seals and other bits on partzilla for reasonable cost.

I ran my old 86 xr250 in a harescramble and ruined the rear suspension. It has absolutely no dampening. I would like to get the bike back in riding condition but not wanting to break the bank to do it.

I've seen other threads about replacing rear suspension with donor parts and would like to know if anyone has had any success with getting some sort of operational suspension on a budget.

The xr has seen its last competition but I use it to knock around the farm and hate to park it.

Call Bruce Triplett at Bruce's Suspension.  He is a great guy and he specializes in XR suspension:

Bruce's Suspension Service

350 Skysail Road

Salisbury, NC 28146

(704) 637-3675

Awesome! I left a message.

Glad to hear it.  Bruce is a great guy and he will take care of you.  He can work with all sorts of budgets an can rebuild/revalve so-called "non-rebuildable" shocks like those found on the CRF150/230.

Please ask him about a set of modified damper rods for your forks as well.  They make a HUGE difference.  They are so good I ditched my Race Tech Cartridge Emulators last year.

In case you don't have anything lined up yet...   I think Les at LT-Racing might have one or two stock early 90s xr250 shocks laying around.    I think one might have zero time on it - I recall pulling one off and put an ohlins on when it was brand new...      www.lt-racing.com

jeff

Edited by oregon_rider

Thanks. I sent lt-racing an email inquiring about rear shock.

I was planning on sending the rear to Bruce's this week after I get a chance to remove it.

Bruce's Suspension replaced my pitted shaft and rebuilt the shock. Bruce gave me plenty of info on how to setup properly and followed up later to see how it was working for me.

Old xr is back on the trails.

Bruce's Suspension replaced my pitted shaft and rebuilt the shock. Bruce gave me plenty of info on how to setup properly and followed up later to see how it was working for me.

Old xr is back on the trails.

Happy to hear your are satisfied with Bruce's work.  He and I spoke about your shock and some of the difficulties with shock parts for the older XR shocks.  It was quite an interesting learning experience for me.

I highly suggest a set of this modified damper rods.  Your old XR will be totally transformed.

Enjoy!